Physical Modeling Purchase Advice?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
thehighesttree

Physical Modeling Purchase Advice?

Post by thehighesttree » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:02 pm

Got some great info on PM synthesis from the VL1/VL7 thread and was originally going to reply there, but figured it was too tangential to reply there with this.

I've been eyeballing physical modeling synths, and I'm wondering if something like an EWI4000s would be ideal for the EX5r/Z1/Prophecy, or if the Prophecy's realtime MIDI controls would be a sufficient controller for an EX5r.

I need purchasing advice from PM gurus, and basically my situation boils down to this:

Prophecy -$350 - will likely be traveling halfway across the country where this is being sold, the guy's been tough to deal with but this would be my first choice in synth because of its killer real-time controls, crazy engine, and my limitations as a keys player/monophonic sequencer means 1 note is fine in my rig, especially since the FX and waveshaping routings seem nicely optimized for a single voice. Would fit nicely into my plans to make a plug-n-play roadcase with all my gear which is a strong factor in making this my top choice.

Z1 - $700 - This guy's closer and way better to deal with, but I've got reservations about paying double for a synth which research and the guy's testimonial itself indicates is less ballsy than the Prophecy, albeit with improvements to the engine in some ways. The XY pad is a sorry replacement for a 2-variable wheel + XY responsiveness, and I already have satisfactory polysynths. If its physical dimensions are anything like the AN1x, it wouldn't fit my 52" roadcase, plus I feel it's more redundant alongside the AN1x. Travel cost is a factor even though I'm gonna be on vacation, and this would involve the least distance and overall least hassle.

EX5R - $285 - In the same area as the Prophecy and the guy's not gonna hold it! Insane price on what seems to be a killer synth module, but would I need a breath controller? If i was to go all-out and get the Prophecy with its controllers AND this, would that suffice in lieu of a breath controller? I don't want to have to get a breath controller! This may (correct me if I'm wrong) allow me to sell my AN1x even though it's only duophonic if I get one of the aforementioned Korgs as well. If the PM side of it works well with good non-breath controllers, I'd like to message this guy ASAP and get a friend of mine in the area to get it.

I know this is a lot of info to sift through, but if anybody can provide opinions it'd be appreciated. I really want to get into PM synthesis but just need some advice how best to proceed. Travel is a big factor for 2 of these, and it'll most likely cost a few hundred bucks just to get to the EX5r/Proph, but I've got time off and friends I can visit in the general area. Maybe it's worth asking if there's a better way to get a secure transaction going, though I don't have a credit card. Do VSE members participate in such a program? I'd be happy to work closely with anyone in the selling area and provide whatever info would be of help, and cover shipping/hassle expense.

Thanks in advance for the insight!

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Re: Physical Modeling Purchase Advice?

Post by ryryoftokyo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:54 pm

Just buy another AN1x. Problem solved.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:30 pm

Wait, so you want an EWI4000 to control these?

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:35 pm

Technics WSA-1.

There is nothing to beat it, especially when you´re into textural and abstract stuff.

I was quite underwhelmed with the Z1. Sounded like a desparate attempt at eating the NordLead 1´s lunch. VA rather than PM.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

thehighesttree

Post by thehighesttree » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:09 pm

Thanks for the reply, guys. The Prophecy guy has been nothing short of a total liar wank and relisted at $600 :lol:

I was looking at the EWI4000s because I can't practice with my alto sax in the apartment without angering the neighbors, and it would be cool to see how it works with a PM synth. Otherwise it's a little too much on the wallet right now so it's not a serious consideration. WSA-1 sounds like a beast on paper, but aside from the one just went in May for $500 (2000 KM away from me), I don't foresee this coming up regularly in the used market. Prophecy is still what I'm looking at for its size, sound, control, engine and portability.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:11 pm

thehighesttree wrote:Got some great info on PM synthesis from the VL1/VL7 thread and was originally going to reply there, but figured it was too tangential to reply there with this.

I've been eyeballing physical modeling synths, and I'm wondering if something like an EWI4000s would be ideal for the EX5r/Z1/Prophecy, or if the Prophecy's realtime MIDI controls would be a sufficient controller for an EX5r.

I need purchasing advice from PM gurus, and basically my situation boils down to this:

Prophecy -$350 - will likely be traveling halfway across the country where this is being sold, the guy's been tough to deal with but this would be my first choice in synth because of its killer real-time controls, crazy engine, and my limitations as a keys player/monophonic sequencer means 1 note is fine in my rig, especially since the FX and waveshaping routings seem nicely optimized for a single voice. Would fit nicely into my plans to make a plug-n-play roadcase with all my gear which is a strong factor in making this my top choice.

Z1 - $700 - This guy's closer and way better to deal with, but I've got reservations about paying double for a synth which research and the guy's testimonial itself indicates is less ballsy than the Prophecy, albeit with improvements to the engine in some ways. The XY pad is a sorry replacement for a 2-variable wheel + XY responsiveness, and I already have satisfactory polysynths. If its physical dimensions are anything like the AN1x, it wouldn't fit my 52" roadcase, plus I feel it's more redundant alongside the AN1x. Travel cost is a factor even though I'm gonna be on vacation, and this would involve the least distance and overall least hassle.

EX5R - $285 - In the same area as the Prophecy and the guy's not gonna hold it! Insane price on what seems to be a killer synth module, but would I need a breath controller? If i was to go all-out and get the Prophecy with its controllers AND this, would that suffice in lieu of a breath controller? I don't want to have to get a breath controller! This may (correct me if I'm wrong) allow me to sell my AN1x even though it's only duophonic if I get one of the aforementioned Korgs as well. If the PM side of it works well with good non-breath controllers, I'd like to message this guy ASAP and get a friend of mine in the area to get it.

I know this is a lot of info to sift through, but if anybody can provide opinions it'd be appreciated. I really want to get into PM synthesis but just need some advice how best to proceed. Travel is a big factor for 2 of these, and it'll most likely cost a few hundred bucks just to get to the EX5r/Proph, but I've got time off and friends I can visit in the general area. Maybe it's worth asking if there's a better way to get a secure transaction going, though I don't have a credit card. Do VSE members participate in such a program? I'd be happy to work closely with anyone in the selling area and provide whatever info would be of help, and cover shipping/hassle expense.

Thanks in advance for the insight!
Don't sell your AN1x for ANY of those!!!?? Seriously! :o

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:11 pm

^^^ seriously. The AN1x is the best physical modeling synth my opinion.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:33 pm

Zombie :agree:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:45 pm

*shoots it in the head