new to synth! any recommendation?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
fromtimetotime

new to synth! any recommendation?

Post by fromtimetotime » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:31 am

Hello everyone. I'm from Thailand and I'm very new to synthesizer.

I love the 80s and I am very into synth-pop.
My favorite bands are OMD, Johnny hates Jazz, Wham, Electric Youth, New Order and many others.
I love the sweet sound of the synthesizer.

I wanted a synthesizer and my requirements are
- 80s vibe
- would be great if its used by OMD

thank you for your recommendation :D

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: new to synth! any recommendation?

Post by tekkentool » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:54 am

Tried out VST's/DAW's yet? No need to dive into hardware until you've figured out what it is you actually want yet (which it looks like you haven't).

It's very easy to create music in an 80's vibe without actually using period equipment these days.

I do it all the time (sorry for self-spam)

Once you have a bit more of a clue about what it is you ACTUALLY want out of a hardware synthesizer it'll be really easy to go back and decide.

atlantida
Gear: Yamaha: Motif ES-R, AN1X, CS6R, QY100
Korg: MS 2000-R

Post by atlantida » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:52 am

Hm, if you like the eighties sound it would mean a used analog synth, like a Roland Juno 60/Juno 106. Or a Poly Korg/Polysix. The trouble is that all these sweet sounding synths often have some problems like faulty chips (Roland Juno 106) or battery leakage (Korg Poly/Polysix) Also you could check out a cheap Roland JX8P. Watch these synths on YouTube.
Worked with:
Roland D50,JD800,XV3080,V-XT,MKS7
Yamaha FS1R,Motif ES R,CS6R,AN1X,AN200,TG500
Korg Trinity R,TritonR,EX8000,MS2000R,Radias
Novation Supernova 2R
Kawai K5000
DSI Mopho
Clavia NordLead1R
Ensoniq ESQ1,SQ80,MR

max badwan
Gear: T1, XV 5080, ES1, Zaquencer

Post by max badwan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:40 am

If it's the sound of the Eighties you're after, there are two synths you should look at:
Yamaha DX 7
SCI Prophet 5
Pretty much used by everybody.

Of course, it also depends on your budget. A Pro 5 still commands high prices, but you could pick up a DX fairly cheaply.

I second the JX 8P recommendation. Great polysynth, and I also second the DAW/VST suggestion, you can do a lot more with modern gear than older gear. A modern DAW will give you synths, samplers, effects and a multitrack in one box (that you already own). I use Logic, because I was an Atari Notator user back in the day, but I also use Reason, Cubase, Live and REAPER. They are all good, and they are all capable of churning out Eighties type sounds.

Also, any of the VAs would suit - Yamaha, Roland, Nord, and Korg are all well regarded in that area.

Have a think about an old sampler as well - Ensoniq Mirage has the famous Curtis filters, and the grainy bit rate of the era, makes a great "virtual" analog sound - but is a bit of a cow to edit.

Finally, if you intend to use it in live performance, you would be better off getting something new, older gear needs a lot of extras (dynamics, time and modulation effects) to bring the sound up to scratch - the sound at the outputs is not the finished product.

Hope that helps!

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:20 am

Roland D-50! If you crave that late 80s Jonny Hates Jazz sound (??) then a D-50 in presets mode will get you there RAPIDLY. Trust me. :lol: Though JHJ and WHAM are somewhat in contrast to OMD and NEW ORDER (For which you'd want analog or more advanced digital like JD-800) so you need to decide/define exactly what 80s sound you mean? fast blips and bleeps like early 80s synth pop or late 80s mainstream digi-pop (D-50/DX7)

D-50 also happens to have a very warm 'real synthesizer' side when you skip using the sampled partials and go straight to it's structure 1/2 modes (an early virtual analog type synth with 4 layers/oscs!). Can do a lot on that including some slower Juno tones and many beautiful pads. I would advise it over a DX7 esp if you are new to synths as DX7 may leave you cold (as much as *I* love them). JX-8P won't give you great variety, it does pads well and strings but the rest is average at best while the D-50 sounds amazing on everything from leads to (soft) basslines, pads, strings, bells etc.

If you can afford two synths and want all bases covered then an Alpha Juno and a D-50 would be quite a cheap combo. I have a feeling from your mentioned bands that you haven't clearly defined the exact sound you want and the 80s had many types of sounds/synth in it!

fromtimetotime

Post by fromtimetotime » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:58 pm

Thank you everyone for the help :D :D
Pro5 wrote:Roland D-50! If you crave that late 80s Jonny Hates Jazz sound (??) then a D-50 in presets mode will get you there RAPIDLY. Trust me. :lol: Though JHJ and WHAM are somewhat in contrast to OMD and NEW ORDER (For which you'd want analog or more advanced digital like JD-800) so you need to decide/define exactly what 80s sound you mean? fast blips and bleeps like early 80s synth pop or late 80s mainstream digi-pop (D-50/DX7)

D-50 also happens to have a very warm 'real synthesizer' side when you skip using the sampled partials and go straight to it's structure 1/2 modes (an early virtual analog type synth with 4 layers/oscs!). Can do a lot on that including some slower Juno tones and many beautiful pads. I would advise it over a DX7 esp if you are new to synths as DX7 may leave you cold (as much as *I* love them). JX-8P won't give you great variety, it does pads well and strings but the rest is average at best while the D-50 sounds amazing on everything from leads to (soft) basslines, pads, strings, bells etc.

If you can afford two synths and want all bases covered then an Alpha Juno and a D-50 would be quite a cheap combo. I have a feeling from your mentioned bands that you haven't clearly defined the exact sound you want and the 80s had many types of sounds/synth in it!
Well to be honest. I like many sound of the 80s. I love the era and the feeling when I listen or seen these music videos, too bad I was born in 1991, so I never actually got a chance to experience the real 80s era.

I like late 80s mainstream and love songs from the 80s a lot. However for OMD, there are many songs I really like aswell such as Forever live and die, If you leave, Secret, Souvenir, and So in love.

For the budget. I would be nice if the price is lower than 1000 USD for this first synth. The purpose for buying it is to compose a few songs for my girlfriend as a present because she loves 80s music aswell (leaning more towards 80s mainstream).