Sampler for Live Hip-Hop Performance

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Iterate

Sampler for Live Hip-Hop Performance

Post by Iterate » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:18 am

Recently decided to incorporate a sampler into my live hip-hop shows for a variety of reasons.

I'm not sure if I want to play something from my iPod, route it through a piece of equipment, and play with it there, or if I'd rather just load instrumentals directly onto the equipment.

I know that the Roland 303 and 404 are both good options, but I feel as though they may be overkill, as they both have capabilities that I don't really want (looping capabilities, most notably). By the same token, I'm not sure that the 303 is capable of having a bunch of songs loaded onto it and played directly from it.

The Kaossilator KP3 also looks pretty promising for my purposes, but right now I really just kinda have a range of things to pick from rather than a real idea of what might be best.

My maximum expenditure is ~500 bucks, I don't want to use a keyboard, and I don't want to do live looping stuff. I would just like a piece of equipment from which I can play an existing instrumental and twist knobs/press buttons during my live set to make cool noises.

Thanks in advance for any help.

thehighesttree

Re: Sampler for Live Hip-Hop Performance

Post by thehighesttree » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:31 pm

Check the Akai MPX8 if you want a cheap, barebones sample playback machine. It's only about $100, takes an SD card, and the pads sense velocity. The Boss/Roland SP-x0x line is basically overpriced, underspec'd junk. The Akai fills a void that's been left empty for years, and I regret buying a shitty SP-404 instead of one of those for my purposes.

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:01 pm

It sounds like he wants something he can load finished beats into and press play and mess with while it plays, not necessarily trigger samples live. This MPX8 might be able to do this, but doesn't seem like it is what it's aimed at.

From what he is asking for, I'd say SP-404 just because it can actually fit a bunch of long samples(like whole songs) on it at once. Personally, I'd just go with a laptop and Ableton, or make your beats with something like an MPC and then run your sequences live and mess with those. You could get a used MPC500 for well under $500, maybe spend the left over cash on an effects pedal or 2 for more live manipulation.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:41 am

I think your best bet would be one of the Boss/Roland SP range of samplers. I have the SP-606 and it's a great machine, probable better suited for song composition than the other models, but also great live. You may be content with the 404 (much more sample time than the 303), but take a look at the 555 as well.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:05 pm

fh991586
Gear: Roland D-50 + PG-1000, JP-8080.
Korg Kaossilator, MicroKorg,
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:18 pm

Is there any way to read this warning without registering? I can't access this page, and I'm tired of registering to a gazillion sites for reading only (before I know it will be worth it to actually register)...
Available for sale:
-Chamber of Sounds Jupiter III (mk1) & Jupiter T (mk1)
-The Complete DX7- Howard Massey (with original enclosed sounds on soft disks)

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:23 pm

From Muffs:
This is the shady part: in order to load your own samples onto the SD card, they have an "included" editor that lets you build your kits, change midi data etc.. the only problem is there is no editor. not on their site, not in the package, nowhere. There's a few threads floating around on their forums with a few diversionary tactics from Akai, but the upshot is "yeah the editor isn't done, but you can get basic functionality with the included sounds." The included sounds are 22 sounds, including your typical 808 samples, and a few airhorns, squelchy one note synth hits, and an "acoustic bass" sample thrown in for flava. There is also no definite answer for when the editor will be ready.

Long story short, if you are thinking about jumping on one of these, I would wait. I basically have an 8 pad midi controller for the foreseeable future. I can't believe that they would have the stones to release a product under the guise of it being a customizable unit, but omit any way of it functioning even remotely in that way.

BodhiFunk

Post by BodhiFunk » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:06 am

If you must be using standalone hardware - Roland units should work just fine.

If your okay with a laptop tethered device, I'de recommend Maschine Mikro. Very easy/on the fly sampling and sample manipulations with a relatively quick learning curve. Very intuitive software/controller combination IMO.

As far as the Akai story, it seems like alot of the digital hardware / digitally controlled analog hardware these days is being rushed to hit the streets before being fully completed/functional. Potentially for fear of not keeping up with competition (alot of digitally controlled monosynths from various companies released this past year) or maybe just an over enthusiastic resurgence to hardware equipment creation from manufacturers.

Regardless, I'm sure that at SOME point within the next few months AKAI will have a full firmware/software editor update download available for early users.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:38 pm

I have to wonder why the OP is not looking at the obvious Akai MPC.. It is the classic hip-hop sampler after all and the MPC500 is competitive pricewise (esp. used) with the SP404 while far more versatile.

Got an iPhone, iPod or iPad? Akai has released an iMPC app for $5.

The MPX editor is now online BTW...also an OS update (already?) and two free sample libraries.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:33 pm

SP404sx - can load tons of sounds/entire songs, great effects, knobs and buttons for interactivity.
MPC is fine for playback / more samples but the effects are nowhere close to the SP series or as 'tweakable' live.

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:44 pm

I'm usually the first to steer people towards hardware, but for your application, I will agree with a laptop and Ableton.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:44 pm

Also, sampling on the KP3 is an absolute joke.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:43 am

A laptop and ableton seems like overkill if you just want to play a file. Why not just use a phone or mp3 player into your filters, sound managers, etc. Or if you want hardware a cheap cd/mp3 du deck?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Jaytee

Post by Jaytee » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:42 am

ryryoftokyo wrote:Also, sampling on the KP3 is an absolute joke.
It sounds like in the case of the KP3, he would be using an iPod as his "sampler" and then using the KP3 as an live effects processor. This is something it's actually quite well suited for.