Prophet 12

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
johnny83

Prophet 12

Post by johnny83 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:42 pm

Hi Chaps,

Has anyone got the Prophet 12 and what do you think of it? I have the arturia prophet and thinking about making a leap into the hands on prophet 12. Are there any draw backs, positives, and interesting features? I'm giving up my modular as my passion is with synths and I'm thinking the new Oberheim TVS and the Prophet 12 maybe what I need for the sounds I'm after...

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Re: Prophet 12

Post by Rick N Boogie » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:11 pm

I had a go on one recently. It's exactly as described- a huge sounding 12 voice synth with 4 digital oscillators and more hands on control than anything in it's range. Amazing synth for sure.
Bassist, synth junkie

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:23 pm

It's one of the synth i would like to test in a music shop...From what i heard on youtube demos (i know, it's not a good base to start a comparison with other synths), the Prophet 12 sounds different than the Prophet 08 or a SE Code. Much more edgy, almost agressive in the medium and high frenquencies. But like i said, my first opinion is based on youtube videos and mostly with the help from internal presets.

In my humble opinion, one of the most beautiful synth that is actually on the market. About the sound, it's a question of personal preferences. I'm perhaps more on the soft/Prophet 08 side than on the hybrid punchy Prophet 12 side.
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:02 pm

I've been out of the hardware loop for a little time now (focusing on arrangements and mixing)
I'm starting to get ye olde fever back!

My heart and body tells me to get the original, vintage Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 but my modern mind is telling me to try the new Prophet 12 or 08… I just can't decide.

Only thing I want is the Poly Mod on the P5, I LOVE THAT. (Guess I could make a poly-mod wannabe with those 4 LFOs and crazy routing on the P12)
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:24 pm

hageir wrote:I've been out of the hardware loop for a little time now (focusing on arrangements and mixing)

My heart and body tells me to get the original, vintage Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 but my modern mind is telling me to try the new Prophet 12 or 08… I just can't decide.

Only thing I want is the Poly Mod on the P5, I LOVE THAT. (Guess I could make a poly-mod wannabe with those 4 LFOs and crazy routing on the P12)
Yep the DSI mod matrix on all of their synths allows for that and a LOT more.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... 73#p706478

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:06 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:
hageir wrote:I've been out of the hardware loop for a little time now (focusing on arrangements and mixing)

kewl, now I just have to try one of these babies out :)
thanks!
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:45 am

GuyaGuy wrote:
hageir wrote:Only thing I want is the Poly Mod on the P5, I LOVE THAT. (Guess I could make a poly-mod wannabe with those 4 LFOs and crazy routing on the P12)

The classic P-5 Poly Mod VCO to VCO FM is NOT possible however...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:54 am

synthparts wrote:
Well of course not because they are DCOs and/or wavetable and digital LFOs. Just pointing out the basic functionality is there and can take you far beyond the functionality of simple VCO to VCO FM.

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:24 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:
synthparts wrote:
Well of course not because they are DCOs and/or wavetable and digital LFOs. Just pointing out the basic functionality is there and can take you far beyond the functionality of simple VCO to VCO FM.
DCOs can do FM just not DSI DCOs. That "simple" VCO to VCO FM is what made a lot of classic Prophet-5 sounds and what the previous poster said he loved and wanted.
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:14 pm

The P12 has osc to osc FM, just not the other DSI synths. I guess the only other (more or less modern) analogue poly that can do it is the A6...

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by GuyaGuy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:22 am

pflosi wrote:The P12 has osc to osc FM, just not the other DSI synths.
synthparts wrote: DCOs can do FM just not DSI DCOs.
You actually can--via the sequencer by sequencing one osc and selecting sequencer as a modulation source in the matrix and the second osc as the destination. And, on the Evolver you can modulate the DCOs with the waveforms directly via the matrix without using the sequencer. And you can get similar effects by routing the tuned feedback or oscillating filter to the DCO. Presumably those have carried over to the P12.
synthparts wrote: That "simple" VCO to VCO FM is what made a lot of classic Prophet-5 sounds and what the previous poster said he loved and wanted.
Not saying it's going to sound exactly the same, just that the functionality is there. I'd assume he knows it's not going to sound just like a Prophet 5. ;)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:14 pm

Just get an Andromeda A6. It can do the polymod you want. Plus it's probably cheaper than a new P12.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:43 pm

^ I can wholeheartedly affirm that :)

Still lusting for a P12 though...

BTW was that linear or exp FM on the P5 (A6 does both)? Never had the chance to play one unfortunately :(

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:43 am

On the A6 you can choose linear or exp FM for your screechy sounds. But FM on analogue synths is so damn hard to reign in and control, I like digital FM more. Easier to make nice sounds with not just screechy mess...even when the oscillators are just SLIGHTLY unstable you get a nice tone on one key, and a distorted mess one octave higher.

Proper FM needs total digital oscillator stability.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:51 am

^ Yeah sure, but that's also the beauty of analog FM :) Room for both.