Only 2 -3 pieces to make a setup, what to choose?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Mooby
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Jupiter 8 | Nord Rack 1 | Mbase1 | Prophet VS | SP1200 | MPC 60 | Emulator iii | NI Maschine

Only 2 -3 pieces to make a setup, what to choose?

Post by Mooby » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:48 pm

Hi,

After several years I came to a situation that I can only keep 2-3 small pieces for my setup, I was sick seriously and it did something to my brain forever so that complicated logic easily confuses me, very frustrated, also I no longer see music as my first priority so it doesn't justify money on serious synth/sampler, I used to have Virus, MPC, Nord, Moog, SCI... etc. Those were the days, they all gone. However, I still want to have a basic setup, they need to be very intuitive and quick to operate 'cos I can't bury my head in them for 8 hours a day, no longer, and they can't break the bank either... given that limitation, I still hope 2-3 easy, quick pieces of synth / sampler / sequencer can provide me a variety of composing / sound design possibility.

Now I have:
Nord Rack 1 ( very easy, but the sound can be one dimensional, not as wide as some latest synth like DMI or Virus )
Emu 6400 Ultra ( must go, very deep but I don't see it fun to dig )
Roland MC 307
Roland RE 501 ( mmm... very expensive for what it does )

Plan:
Sell everything, to buy MPC1000 and 1 wide range synth.

I know MPC1000 inside out, used to work for AKAI. so with a MPC1000 and 1 analog synth that can provide every possibility could be the best to me. The question is, what synth would it be? A modular is too complicated.

1. Moog RME with semi modular expansion (expensive)
2. Future Retro XS (decent, deep but still intuitive, not a lot of money, don't know how it sounds)
3. Elektron Analog Four ( looks fun, I can use A4 pr MPC1K separately and can use them as a powerful combo, BUT it looks deep too)

I plan to make some intelligent and simple 4/4 tracks. Need serious advice, thanks in advance! :lol:
Jupiter 8 | Nord Rack 1 | MBase1 | Maschine

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Re: Only 2 -3 pieces to make a setup, what to choose?

Post by CS_TBL » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:10 pm

I figure you want to settle with hardware. But thinking about it: if you're worried about complex interfaces 'n such, a PC-monitor is big and it more or less follows the universal Windows paradigm. This should make it less tedious to edit something - no matter how deep. So, is software an option?
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:28 pm

If you want just one versatile synthesizer, I'd go with the Yamaha DX7. It does all kinds of sounds very well; it's not great at mimicking analog subtractive sounds, but just about anything else can be done quite nicely.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:13 pm

Three gigantic modulars? :lol:
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:34 pm

I would say the mpc 1000 and an sh-101, but you could substitute any monosynth of your choice if you don't like the 101. Go minibrute if you like. I suggest the 101 because:
- versatility: Te self osc is is extremely strong and usable (It's a one big sweet spot kind of thing)for drum sounds, fx, etc.
- Simplicity: 1 knob per function, very simple to work with and well laid out.
-economy: you can use an output of the 1000 to send it a recorded trigger to sync its sequencer.
- portability: It's fairly small and runs on batteries.

Again, maybe there's a different one that hits many of these strong points that you like more? Anyway, I would suggest the 101, the mpc, and a virtual analog that has a strong fx section. Thus with 3 pieces of gear you have:
Midi sequencer, analog sequencer, mono synth, poly synth, fx unit, and the versatility to make some very strong analog/ virtual analog sounds. If you pick a va like the radias, you also get pcm drums!
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:12 am

Is money an issue? If not, I'd get an Access Virus TI2. If the Virus is too expensive, maybe you should consider something like Roland's SH-32: small unit, but very easy to use, imo, and nice sounds. Great effect section as well, although insert effects available only for one part in a multitibral setup (maybe all 3 synth parts can use the same insert, not sure).

If you do need a real analoge, what about the Novation BassStation II? It has the ability to save patches, something which is missing in the MiniBrute, afaik.

Also, I'd add Korg's Mini KaossPad 2. Very, very cool little box with great effects - couldn't be easier to use.

bluntedcircuit
Gear: machinedrum, mpc1000, blofeld, maschine, kp3, esq1, ms20, ableton

Post by bluntedcircuit » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:55 am

Mpc + analog4 + kaoss pad

Maybe throw in a compact mixer and you're set

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:17 pm

+1 for the Analoge4

natrixgli
Gear: USB Hub, Pedalboard, Keyboard Stand, and many cables.
Band: Suboscillator

Post by natrixgli » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:48 am

MPC and a Prophet 08 or Mopho X4. If I was only gonna have one synth, I'd definitely want polyphony. Though if I was in your shoes, I'd get a MacBook, Live 9 Suite, and Push. So versatile, and fun to jam on.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:25 pm

If you are looking at the analogue four then I'll reassure you that, while it is deep (ish) it's easy, intuitive and most of all, fun! Plus it does things no other analogue can do. You could literally go with any synth but seeing as you mentioned the A4, I'd say, it's a winner.
I respect the dude above for saying get a kaoss pad too, but, I definitely wouldn't. In my experience, The effects sound cheap, gimmicky and while fun to mess with, are pretty unusable. The effects on the a4 are fantastic and with the scope to parameter lock anything effect wise per step, it's so much more versatile than the kaoss pad.

White
Gear: Quite a few synths

Post by White » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:12 am

Synth - Sequencer - Sampler
Duncan J. White + quite a few synths
http://www.myspace.com/stickman76590059

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:56 pm

Edit: haha it seems this is an older thread and I already answered pretty much the same above.