Need help on a rare opportunity!

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
kdsf1981

Need help on a rare opportunity!

Post by kdsf1981 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:00 pm

This is my first post and I am excited to announce that I have a chance to pick up some synths! This will be my first time owning actual synths. I am trading an Orange OR120 1974 for a choice of this list(NOTE I can couple some but I think the Cat is an even swap): Moog Prodigy 1978, Arp Axxe, The Cat by Octave, Yamaha Cs5, Yamaha SK30 I am waiting on the gentleman to respond on which other poly synths he is offering to trade.

I know the Prodigy does not have capability to sequence or arpeggiate. Styles of music I love to make is Rock (HUM, M83) to Electronic (Clark, Rustie, AFX, Squarepusher). I am not trying to mimic but simply giving examples of music styles I like to make. I have 0 experience with vintage keys so I do not want to be overwhelmed with difficulty yet(serious maintenance). I do want to pick out a few that I will enjoy for long time that will give me analogue euphoria! He is also offering a put together modular but not sure if I want to get into that yet. Thank you for any help and input!

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Need help on a rare opportunity!

Post by Z » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:09 pm

None of those synths can sequence or arpeggiate on their own.

The Octave Cat would be the most powerful/versatile synth on the list. The Moog Prodigy is probably the most straight-forward as far as ease of programming.

The Cat and Axxe will be the easiest to hook up to other CV/Gate gear including modern modular and MIDI/CV converters to use with your computer.

The Yamaha SK30 is actually a paraphonic organ/string synth allowing you to play more than a single note at once, but its synthesis capabilities are minimal at best.

The Yamaha CS5 is the only synth on the list with a selectable, multi-mode filter. While the Axxe, Cat and Prodigy have traditional low-pass filters, with the CS5, you can select low-pass, high-pass and band pass filters.

If you end up passing on the Cat, send me the seller's info - I might be interested. ;)
Last edited by Z on Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fh991586
Gear: Roland D-50 + PG-1000, JP-8080.
Korg Kaossilator, MicroKorg,
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:12 pm

You must understand that any 30+ years old synthesizer will need maintenance one way or the other in the future: the Yamahas on your list would be the safest choice on this matter (less likely to defect, and easier to fix).
Available for sale:
-Chamber of Sounds Jupiter III (mk1) & Jupiter T (mk1)
-The Complete DX7- Howard Massey (with original enclosed sounds on soft disks)

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:20 pm

Get yourself one of those cheapo little Moogs they seem to churn out on a weekly basis.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

kdsf1981

Post by kdsf1981 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:06 pm

Thanks for the help people! Much appreciated. He also offering a Roland JX3p with PG200 programer and an Ensoniq SQ80.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:43 pm

The Cat is amazing. I only own the Kitten but could only imagine the power. The axxe is very similar to the cat sound wise. Keep in mind the octave synths aren't too easy to service. Very poor service manuals.

fh991586
Gear: Roland D-50 + PG-1000, JP-8080.
Korg Kaossilator, MicroKorg,
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:04 pm

kdsf1981 wrote:Thanks for the help people! Much appreciated. He also offering a Roland JX3p with PG200 programer and an Ensoniq SQ80.
I will always vouch for the JX-3P (with or without the PG-200)! =D>
Available for sale:
-Chamber of Sounds Jupiter III (mk1) & Jupiter T (mk1)
-The Complete DX7- Howard Massey (with original enclosed sounds on soft disks)

natrixgli
Gear: USB Hub, Pedalboard, Keyboard Stand, and many cables.
Band: Suboscillator

Post by natrixgli » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:03 am

I would take the Prodigy and JX3P out of that list, but I wouldn't limit myself to that list. I'd sell the amp and buy either a prophet 08 or Mopho x4 depending on how much tha amp fetches. Vintage gear is fun to own unless it breaks, which it will. Then, unless you can solder, read a service manual, and operate test equipment, it will cost you.

I'd shoot for the Prophet 08 if you can. Very smooth and dreamy sounds.

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:13 am

I agree, sell the amp and buy a couple of modern synths. You could get a sweet analog mono like a Moog Phatty of some sort, AND a nice polyphonic VA like a Virus, or something from Waldorf or Dave Smith. So many great synths out now, save the high cost and maintenance and PLAY.
Bassist, synth junkie

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:45 pm

Yup, sell the amp, avoid vintage.