New Buyer - Help in choosing

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
stevemmx

New Buyer - Help in choosing

Post by stevemmx » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:18 pm

I am looking to buy a used synth module to run through my Roland d5. I owned a Realist Moog 20 years ago and want something similar, I don't want presets and if it has a drum sounds or machine I'll take it but not important. I want control to make my own sounds, sort of Pink Floydish type stuff maybe the best way to describe.
Is running a module through my DS suitable. I have about $400 to spend, used on ebay. I have seen Novation Nova's and Roland sh-35 that on the surface seem to have the options I want (I would like a poly option) but there are so many I need help and advise and any I can get is appreciated.

Darkseid

Re: New Buyer - Help in choosing

Post by Darkseid » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:40 pm

So if the synth is able to store patches you dont want it? Or do you mean you would just prefer it to not have patch storage?

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:15 pm

Maybe something from MFB. Wanting Poly limits you.

stevemmx

Post by stevemmx » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:01 pm

Darkseid wrote:So if the synth is able to store patches you dont want it? Or do you mean you would just prefer it to not have patch storage?
I am really "green" I guess. What would you suggest with or without patch storage. I just want versatility and I don't have a store available to look at items and many on ebay or old discontinued. I appreciate the help!!!\

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:52 pm

GAIA? (Not module)

MS 2000 Module?

There knobby and cheap used?

There are a ton of analog cheap mono's coming out new? but one or two hundred dollars out of your price range?

(MS 20 MINI/ BASS Station/ Minibrute).

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:47 am

If you want something that's like your old Moog MG-1, get an Arturia Minibrute. It's the same type of synth, and a new one is very squarely within your budget (esp. if you can get an open-box special, and there are plenty on eBay).