Starting up a dotcom modular

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Starting up a dotcom modular

Post by ryryoftokyo » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:13 pm

So I'm doing an entry system plan and will probably finish it off six months early. Any advice for somebody who is totally new to modulars? Any additional modules I should grab from them to fill the empty space? My plan is to grow it into something massive eventually, but what would you add to the empty space in the immediate future? Thanks!
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

cgren72

Re: Starting up a dotcom modular

Post by cgren72 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:26 pm

I don't have any advice, as I am less familiar with dotcom, but congrats on the decision to start a modular. I started modular with euro about a year ago, and it has vastly improved my knowledge about synthesizer theory

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:57 pm

Having owned dotcom in the past, I would suggest you add the Q125 Signal Processor and Q130 Clipper/Rectifier.

Pay the upcharge and get the Portable cabinet, the studio and entry-level 22-space cabs are a pain to move around.

Skip the noise/ring mod/S&H because they take up lots of space and there are better alternatives from other 5U suppliers.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:07 am

Head over to Muffs and read up / ask stuff there is my tip.

Apart from that, you can't do much wrong in modular land. Avoid routing outputs to outputs, as well as mixing with passive mults (which is basically connecting outs to outs as well).

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:19 am

The State Variable filter is my pick over the ladder filter and is cheaper. Using audio frequency modulation of the SVF cutoff frequency is fantastic.
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:11 pm

You can never have enough filters :)

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:03 pm

But Steve is right, the dotcom ladder filter does the Moog thing (very well) but the SVF is where the real action is.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:46 pm

pflosi wrote:You can never have enough filters :)
That's been one of the nicest things about getting into modular to me: Getting a new filter is essentially like getting a new synth in terms of the palette of colors a filter offers.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:57 pm

:headbang:

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:08 pm

I'll second the vote for the Q125; it has both creative and practical uses. You can use it to offset or transpose CV signals going into VCOs or VCFs (or anything else really), and you can also use it as a stable source of CV and A440 when you are calibrating or testing other modules.

If you are thinking about going into sequencer-land, start with the Q119. Once you've played with that for a while, you can decide whether you want to invest in the Q96x modules, or go with a third-party sequencer (e.g., the Moon Modular one). There are a lot of sequencing options in MU format right now, and some of them are very different from each other.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!