Akai MPX8 question

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
CuBulo
Gear: toyota
Band: priima

Akai MPX8 question

Post by CuBulo » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:09 pm

I've read multiple times that up to 30mb of music can be stored on the MPX8s pads at one time, but I am confused as to if that is referring to all of the pads in a kit together, or each kit separately. I understand that most will use this machine for one-shots and short loops, but for the purpose I am looking for, I have a need to be able to play whole or parts of full songs from the machine. If this required me to split the song up in to 2 or 3 pads that would be fine, but if it is the case that each pad can only hold 30mb, than i'm not sure if I could do this. Anyone care to clear this up?
wiggle diggle do

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Akai MPX8 question

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:10 am

It's 30 MB per kit...only about 20 seconds in stereo.

The MPX8 isn't well suited to playing back long samples, you'd be better off with something like the Roland SP404SX which streams samples...the only time limit is the size of the SD card...of course it's 4x the price of the MPX8.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Akai MPX8 question

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:16 pm

Oops, I lied above. 30MB is more than 20 seconds. It's about 3 minutes in stereo...still not a lot compared to Roland SP-x0x machines that can stream GBytes (hours) of samples from flash cards.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.