Alternatives to eBay

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Alternatives to eBay

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:53 am

Anyone know of good alternatives to eBay for selling ? I'd like to not deal with their BS anymore, but also be able to sell items. I have stuff on Craigslist / Amazon, but sometimes I feel like they don't get as much exposure as an online site focused on used stuff (that's my biggest issue with Amazon). I'd prefer to also not use Paypal, but I can. I just don't want 15-20% of my sales taken from me and I also don't want my money being held for 2-3 weeks at the mercy of a buyer. I miss the days when they treated buyers and sellers equally.
bonne chance

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Alternatives to eBay

Post by Z » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:11 am

There's several groups on FB for synths and selling of gear.

Make video demos of what you've got for sale and they might end up on blogsites like MatrixSynth and Synthtopia.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.
Band: Season Finale

Post by themilford » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:58 pm

reverb.com

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:24 pm

themilford wrote:reverb.com
I have been using it recently and they are pretty cool, good customer service as a seller or buyer.

themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.
Band: Season Finale

Post by themilford » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:45 pm

megamanx wrote:
themilford wrote:reverb.com
I have been using it recently and they are pretty cool, good customer service as a seller or buyer.
Just needs more folks to make it better.

vcs3
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: BitOne,DX7II, M-1000, ESQm, Procussion, NanoSynth, VL1, P2500, K5000R, FS1r, JX-3P, Ju-60,HR-16, CZ1000, RX-5,K2600S, Nord G1r, G2, XL-7, Shuthri-1

Post by vcs3 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:36 pm

try olx.com

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:40 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check them out. Are these only for musical instruments or other things too ? I have an iPhone I want to sell and occasionally sell other computer accessories as I upgrade.
bonne chance

sounddoctorin

Post by sounddoctorin » Fri May 09, 2014 9:19 pm

Yup reverb.com is what I'm working towards making the hub right now. I like the setup there and we are just going to overwhelm it with vintage gear over the next weeks and hopefully people will begin looking there first instead of eeeeechhhhbay

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Sat May 10, 2014 8:08 pm

I just downloaded the reverb.com app yesterday. They've got a lot of bases covered from guitars to drums to pro audio. There's no synth section yet but hopefully that will change soon.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat May 10, 2014 11:53 pm

Swayze wrote:I just downloaded the reverb.com app yesterday. They've got a lot of bases covered from guitars to drums to pro audio. There's no synth section yet but hopefully that will change soon.
There is on the site.
https://reverb.com/marketplace/keyboards

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Sun May 11, 2014 12:53 am

That's more like it, thank you.

SeventhStar
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Post by SeventhStar » Mon May 12, 2014 9:05 am

I don't see why you guys want to avoid eBay. I just saw somebody pay over a grand today, for a Prophet 600 with well worn looking wood sides, malfunctioning membrane pad and a busted key on the keyboard. Seem to be plenty of crazy buyers willing to pay high prices for synths on there. And I thought I was crazy...

Don't know why someone would complain about selling their gear to those desperate buyers on Ebay, who are eager to part with their money.

intrancewetrust
Gear: sausage fingers and a bad hat

Post by intrancewetrust » Tue May 13, 2014 4:44 am

the problem is when your looking to buy, and having to compete with bright sparks like you mention :)

Darcie Simino

Post by Darcie Simino » Thu May 15, 2014 12:48 pm

Yup reverb.com is what I'm working towards making the hub right now. I like the setup there and we are just going to overwhelm it with vintage gear over the next weeks and hopefully people will begin looking there first instead of eeeeechhhhbay

william

Post by william » Wed May 21, 2014 2:37 am

sequentialsoftshock wrote:Anyone know of good alternatives to eBay for selling ? I'd like to not deal with their BS anymore, but also be able to sell items. I have stuff on Craigslist / Amazon, but sometimes I feel like they don't get as much exposure as an online site focused on used stuff (that's my biggest issue with Amazon). I'd prefer to also not use Paypal, but I can. I just don't want 15-20% of my sales taken from me and I also don't want my money being held for 2-3 weeks at the mercy of a buyer. I miss the days when they treated buyers and sellers equally.

I too buy the odd thing on Craigslist, but am sometimes concerned about the 'origin' of the item.
One of my new rules - The item must meet my criteria: if it doesn't have an owners manual and power supply (for instance), or the seller doesn't have a receipt, or can't answer some basic questions about the items' operation, I won't buy it - concerned that it may have just been stolen from a vehicle, backstage, store, etc.

Good to know that you're buying from the legitimate owner...

I also sell things on CL sometimes, which is great to get the perspective from that end.

william

;0)