buying my first set of monitors

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
moodorf
Gear: Little Phatty (needs repair)
Blofeld
DSI Prophet 08
Ensoniq SQ80
Pittsburgh Modular System 10
Renoise
FL

buying my first set of monitors

Post by moodorf » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:06 pm

Hi all!!!! :D Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm looking for a decent pair of powered studio monitors at around $150-$300 each. I was hoping to find a set with a great frequency response, especially in the low end around 50-35Hz. I realize that might be asking a little much for this price range, so I'm open to any suggestions you guys may have. 8-)

syntheticsolutions
Gear: Rhodes 78 Mk2, Jupiter 4, Juno 6, MS-10, CS-15, Opus 3, Machinedrum, RE-501, Roland Rack
Band: Lunar Modular

Re: buying my first set of monitors

Post by syntheticsolutions » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:34 am

The new Adam "something" are quite nice. They are basically the cheaper versions of the "A" range and feature all of the great Adam engineering pedigree.

The Yamaha HS series are also quite decant for relatively flat frequency responses.

In my personal opinion, I would stay away from KRK monitors. I know many people use and swear by them but I found them very coloured and untrue, especially in the low frequencies.

If you are using the monitors for home use, I have had two pairs of the behringer truth monitors, B2030's I think. I am currently using them and they are absolutely fine. Yes they are behringer and yes the are a little coloured and maybe the dynamics are somewhat to be desired compared to their competitors but hey, they are powered, have a strong output and cost less than £150/$250 for the pair.

That is my light shed, hope it helps.
Replicants are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, its not my problem.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:44 am

Welcome to the forum moodorf. I've been using KRK Rocket 6 for about 5 years now and recommend them. I haven't used any of the others syntheticsolutions mentioned but definitely check them out. Read up all the reviews you can. If possible audition any you're considering at the store. Whatever you end up buying, get to know their sound and how the mixes translate to a variety of different sound systems and you'll be okay.

moodorf
Blofeld
DSI Prophet 08
Ensoniq SQ80
Renoise
FL

Post by moodorf » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:54 am

thanks for the input guys! 8-)

I'm terribly embarrassed to admit this, but I've been composing for over 8 years and have never had a pair of monitors. :oops: I've dropped over $3k on gear but monitors have been the one thing I've put off buying.

Anyway I'm considering a pair of KRK Rokits since 2/3 of the reviews I've read highly recommend them. However admittedly there are a handful of people like syntheticsolutions who disagree. I will definitely have to try out what everybody recommends at guitar center.

I'm still fully open to more suggestions though!!!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:57 am

moodorf wrote: I was hoping to find a set with a great frequency response, especially in the low end around 50-35Hz.
You want something that goes down to 35 Hz, try the Genelec 1038B. They're a little out of your price range at $17,000 a pair but they do go down that low.

Or, if you live in actual reality and realise the physics of reproducing those frequencies mean you need a huge room and a lot of acoustic treatment to appreciate it then you're gonna lower your standards and be able to manage with monitors that (only) go down to 50Hz or so.

In the sub-$300 each price range I like the Yamaha MSP series, the 5 is good, the 7 is better but you'll need to have a bigger room and some good acoustic treatment to get the benefit from them.

Pretty much everything out there on the market is decent, not great but useable. When you're buying on a budget I think it's better to get a higher-quality monitor with a smaller driver than go for the bigger unit that doesn't sound as good.

I've heard amazingly good things about the Equator Audio D5s, I would check those out too. Seem to be a lot of people who think they're the best in the budget price range by a long way.

From the KRKs I've used I'd avoid them. They would be good stereo speakers for your living room but not good monitors. And the ones Ive used were the V6s, which are supposed to be better and more expensive than the Rokits.

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:05 am

I got a pair of m-audio bx5a for $155 used. They are great for a first pair of monitors, which is what they are for me. Someone else may shoot them down, but they don't seem harsh or anything to me. They are one of the few gear purchases I haven't regretted. I don't see the point in spending more for something better without a properly treated room anyway, which is also the case for me

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:55 pm

Spend the money, and get something seriously good like Neumann KH120A, or RCF Mytho 8.

moodorf
Blofeld
DSI Prophet 08
Ensoniq SQ80
Renoise
FL

Post by moodorf » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:08 pm

madtheory wrote:Spend the money, and get something seriously good like Neumann KH120A, or RCF Mytho 8.
both of those are wayyyyyyyyyyyyy over my budget, but after checking them out I would certainly consider them as future investments. They'd make for an excellent second set of monitors.

moodorf
Blofeld
DSI Prophet 08
Ensoniq SQ80
Renoise
FL

Post by moodorf » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:27 am

I was ready to let this thread fade into obscurity but i have ooone more query: does anybody have an opinion on JBL monitors?

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:56 am

My impression and the reputation of JBL is they are better than average quality. Speakers ARE what they do. And they have a wide range of all different products spanning from live audio, home, outdoor, car audio, and headphones. Definitely check them out.

pmh

Post by pmh » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:13 pm

This has been an interesting thread to follow. Monitors only really came onto my radar when I saw a pair set up at my local music shop.

My set up is home use only, not recording anything at present, so have been using headphones.

That said, my enthusiasm for synths has worn off on my music teacher (he was at music college with Howard Jones) and he has now started recording more music, asking me to join in with some pieces, so there is the possibility I will have to pick up some reasonable ones in the future.

For the time being, however, I picked up a cheap Polaroid "system" after reading some online reviews. Primarily intended for PCs they were only £14 ($18) new, so nothing to lose really.

Whilst they are in no way comparable to even the cheapest monitors, the sound quality is remarkably good for the price, and they save me having to use headphones all the time.

These will keep me going until I have more demand for monitors and can justify the expense.

Kind regards,

Phil

Corpse Thrower
Gear: M1, DX11, MMT8x2, Roland D70, JV1000, W30, D10, JV880, 1080, 2080, U220, R8, TR505, MC50, MV30, XV3080 and no idea how to use any of it!!

Post by Corpse Thrower » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:48 am

I bought a set of Mackie MR6 powered monitors and a matching ten inch powered sub for $1000 new (In Australia, so we get reamed price-wise over here) and I love them. Sure, not the best, but they do the job for me well enough 8-)

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:11 pm

Very good speakers, HR824 are even better. €200 for a pair of MR6 on Thomann.de including delivery. Which model of sub? The MR10S is €400 including delivery. Which adds up AUS$930. So ya, $1000 is quite overpriced!

I would almost never recommend a sub. Most people's rooms are simply not big enough acoustically. It will cause more problems than it solves. Better to spend the money on better monitors, with the typical roll off in the range of 30Hz to 50Hz. You're still getting enough bass. And despite what Stab says, that would be typical of a lot of small boxes these days. So the OP's original question was not unreasonable...

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:52 am

madtheory wrote:Better to spend the money on better monitors, with the typical roll off in the range of 30Hz to 50Hz. You're still getting enough bass. And despite what Stab says, that would be typical of a lot of small boxes these days. So the OP's original question was not unreasonable...
Show me a small monitor that's flat to 30Hz and I'll eat my hat. Seriously, I think a lot of people just make up what they think speakers can do and then spout their fabrications as fact on the internet.

For comparison, the venue I work at has a Nexo Geo system for FOH, with four cardiod subs. We are down -6dB at 39Hz, running around 3000W a side just for the subs. But sure, if you think a small monitor can be flat down to 30Hz you go on telling yourself that, just don't pretend it's true on public forums. :thumbright:

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:17 pm

I'll not even venture to challenge some of these guys sonic kung-fu (looks at Stabs), however I've owned both Adam A7 (not the A7x, but an older version) and KRK Rokit 6 G2. My room was decent size for a mastering room (15'x20') and I sonically treated as best I could, i.e. bass traps, diffusor and wall mounted dampening foam (all home made I might add!).The KRKs sound fine, but IMO lean towards heavier bass - no need for an external sub there. So you'll have to chill on deep tones/drops.

The Adams were simply amazing, but be warned they are very accurate. You may ask, what? too accurate? What I mean is that you'll hear things other monitors may muddy up. Innuendo is not lost on the A7s. All it took was an adjustment and time to hone my skills to produce a mix worthy of cans and the car.

I would note, that had I not been forced to sell the A7s, I was planning on eventually buying a sub for them.

It wasn't until I wanted to take my writing and producing to the next level that I realized how important a good set of monitors would be. I was always stuck on the point of thinking that I should only use my funds towards synths. It is tantamount to one's development with music to hear that which they are truly playing.