A poly analog with full Midi parameter access

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
pinksoir
Gear: Korg Volca Keys,
Korg Polysix,
Roland JX3P,
Teisco SX-400 ,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha SK20.
Band: Bear Worship

A poly analog with full Midi parameter access

Post by pinksoir » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:32 pm

I bought a JX-3P recently and I've decided that I don't really need the PG-200. I also have a Yamaha CS01 here that I bought with broken keys which I replaced and bought the MIDI kit for. I've used that maybe 3 times.

So I reckon I could sell both of those and end up with about €500, going by the sold listings on ebay/local online marketplace site.

So I'd have a bit of cash to buy another synth. I'm really digging the workflow I have with my JX-3P being controlled though CTRLR, so I think I'd go for something with that capability. Not a dealbreaker, but it'd certainly play a big role in my choice.

My two thoughts so far are the SCI Six Trak and the OB Matrix 1000. Mainly because of the fact that there are CTRLR panels for each of them = instant DAW integration. The Six Trak seems to be rare enough around these parts though (Europe).

Any suggestions? I would like something to complement what I have already and also to add some new flavours. Unison capability would be nice.

Thanks.
"I think it would be egotistical of me to say, 'I thought of it'. What happened is, I opened my mind up and the idea came through and into my head." - Bob Moog

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: A poly analog with full Midi parameter access

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:13 am

Have you thought about the Kiwi upgrade for the JX-3P or are you not into it at all?

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:35 am

I really like the six~trak and recommend it, but would definitely keep an eye out for the Oberheim Matrix 6 or 6R if you want more complex and unique sounds.

pinksoir
Korg Polysix,
Roland JX3P,
Teisco SX-400 ,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha SK20.

Post by pinksoir » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:00 am

Thanks for the replies.

I have been looking at the Kiwi-3P quite a bit actually. I suppose that'd be up there as an option too. I know it adds a lot of what I would want such as unison, more LFOs, more EGs... It was the first thing I considered after I realised I wouldn't be needing the programmer.

But I find myself being drawn to the CEM sound a bit. I'm really loving the 3P for what it's great at (which is a lot tbh), and my CS-50 covers a lot of ground for its own unique sound, but I'd really love something a little bit brasher. I know SCI stuff can get there cos I had a P600 before (I sold that to fund my CS-50), I'm not quite as sure about the Matrixes (Matrices?) in that department. Though the mod matrix seems like it'd be a whole lot of fun. Plus, like FM is always cool.

I'm half thinking of dipping my toe in the digital/wavetable oscillator pool, but I'm not sure they'd fit into my sound right at the moment.
"I think it would be egotistical of me to say, 'I thought of it'. What happened is, I opened my mind up and the idea came through and into my head." - Bob Moog

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:24 am

The Matrix is pretty nifty - it's very versatile but not difficult to use (particularly with a programmer,) sounds pretty good, has a good bit of patch memory, and supports split and layer arrangements (although irritatingly it can only split in groups of two voices, so the obvious 3 + 3 is unavailable.) It has a good unison mode, and it will work in split modes (which means you can also get a less overwhelming unison sound if you want, by putting a unison patch on either a 4-voice or 2-voice section of a split keyboard.)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

ranzee
Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Post by ranzee » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:52 am

I know it wasn't mentioned, but have you thought about going for an MKS-70 (Super JX) with a PG-800?

I haven't got one, but am --><-- this close to buying one - and have watched countless YT vids on this baby. Essentially it is the same as having two JX-8P's without the keyboard - or the same as a JX-10P without the keyboard. 24 Oscillators (2 per voice). Holy cow that's a big analog poly! There's also firmware upgrades recently been done over on GS.

You don't even need the PG-800 if you read up on some of the new hacks that have been done to it.

If it has to be the two suggested - I'd go with the OB Matrix 1000 - I really like that OB sound.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:14 am

The JX-10/MKS-70 is great indeed, but the downside to the PG-800 is that it only edits one tone at a time, which limits its usefulness for real-time tweaking (though it's still considerable.) Though if the MKS-70's MIDI implementation supports full parameter access, you could use a separate controller.

Also, it doesn't really have the CEM sound at all, which the OP had mentioned as a goal. It's a great sound on its own merits, but it's definitely its own distinct thing as compared to CEM-based synths.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

pinksoir
Korg Polysix,
Roland JX3P,
Teisco SX-400 ,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha SK20.

Post by pinksoir » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:34 pm

I'm not really interested in the other JXs. They definitely have a specific sound, but I think a Matrix could cover that territory and much more besides.

Honestly though, I think I'd be hovering slightly more towards the Six Trak at the moment. The filter just sounds really nice to me, and the VCOs would be nice as a contrast to the 3P. If only they came up for sale this side of the world more often...

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:24 pm

Although I grew to appreciate the matrix system I found the overall tone of my Matrix6 flat and uninspiring. I think I would have taken a good VA over it if functionality was my overriding concern.

pinksoir
Korg Polysix,
Roland JX3P,
Teisco SX-400 ,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha SK20.

Post by pinksoir » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:54 pm

I've been listening to a lot of Matrix 6/1000 videos and I'd have to agree. It sounds pretty unexciting. It sounds nice and all, but as with the JXs, nothing really sticks out or grabs me.

pinksoir
Korg Polysix,
Roland JX3P,
Teisco SX-400 ,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha SK20.

Post by pinksoir » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:43 pm

Considering the Six Trak is so rare round these parts, how is a Tetra as a compromise/alternative?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:11 am

pinksoir wrote:Considering the Six Trak is so rare round these parts, how is a Tetra as a compromise/alternative?
I used to have one and the sound was pretty good but it was a massive pain to edit and to tweak in real time. I pretty much used it as a preset box, it had annoying quirks like if you tweaked the filter cutoff knob when using it multitimbrally it would change all four voices rather than just the one you had selected. For me the Analog Four is everything the Tetra should have been.

pinksoir
Korg Polysix,
Roland JX3P,
Teisco SX-400 ,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha SK20.

Post by pinksoir » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:29 pm

Cheers. It certainly sounds nice enough from the youtube videos I've watched...

Knobbiness, or lack thereof in this case, doesn't really bother me so long as it can be integrated into my DAW.

I gotta say, the only thing that does bother me is 4 voice polyphony. Though having 4 voices on my CS50 was never really a problem, since getting my 3P having 6 voices has been really nice...

tdack
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW-MKII and anything analog or modular.
Band: drOHM. T.Dack.

Post by tdack » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:02 am

monolith wrote:I really like the six~trak and recommend it, but would definitely keep an eye out for the Oberheim Matrix 6 or 6R if you want more complex and unique sounds.

I'll double on the Six~Trak. I had borrowed one for a year and pretty much used it for every sound on my bands EP.

It's creamy and rich, it's a chocolate synth!