Value of Juno-106 with bad voice chip?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
CuBulo
Gear: toyota
Band: priima

Value of Juno-106 with bad voice chip?

Post by CuBulo » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:09 pm

I have a Juno-106 in absolutely beautiful cosmetic and electronic condition, the keys look and feel as if they were never used and the surface has barely been worn down at all. The output and the filter and everything else sound clean. I may have to let go of it very soon for the sake of making space, and despite it''s great physical condition, it DOES have a rogue voice chip. I spent years trying to get the voice repaired with no luck, and I even had it serviced by an authorized service center (I expected them to fix the chip but they didn't). I know that these days there are plenty of 106s available with good voice chips, but before I try to sell it, I wanted to have an idea of the relative price range that my 106 could sell for. Also, if the price is too significantly lower than id want to know if it'd be smarter to try again to fix the chip before selling, although I feel like if I have to spend more time on repairing this thing ill jump out of my window.
wiggle diggle do

CuBulo
Gear: toyota
Band: priima

Re: Value of Juno-106 with bad voice chip?

Post by CuBulo » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:51 am

bump?
wiggle diggle do

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:24 am

Hmm, I'd say $500 or so?

http://synthspa.com/ actually restores the chips back to working order for about $160. The black plastic coating around the chips is actually at fault with these things, and soaking them in acetone helps it come off.

http://synthspa.com/juno106_voicechips.html
soundcloud.com/vectron

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:47 pm

Yes, it is worth replacing the chip before you sell. Buyers will not only factor on the cost of the repair but the hassle of getting it fixed before they can use the synth.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.