hello forum = Old school heads looking for gear, advice.

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
sol-bass-rec
Gear: Juno 106
Mophox4, MG-1, BS2
Ensoniq Fizmo
Yamaha CS6X AN1X AN200 DX200 RX11
Roland TR-808 & R8
Aira: System 1 TR-8 TB-3 VT-3
Acidlab Miami
Band: Bass Records, Suite 16, Meg Li

hello forum = Old school heads looking for gear, advice.

Post by sol-bass-rec » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:59 am

Hello forum,

So not a complete noob to synths. I actually grew up in Orlando in the 80s and 90s. So I've had my fair share of music genres engraved in my soul and lots of fun dancing back in the day. Freestyle, bass, electro, breaks, progressive.

If you're from or partied in the O you're most familiar with Aahz, Firestone, Cyberzone.

Anyway did my DJ thing for 10 goods years, spent countless hours in Reason, flirted with the idea of full sail. Eventually landed in NC and to a point In the road where I needed to further my career and break from djing and nightlife. I never had the money to dive into hardware.

now that my career is going I've reconnected with friends and have the money to buy some gear. This has been a fetish with a couple sleepless nights. So let's get to the point....

1. Had many people sway me away from an 808. Yes $4,000 on ebay is ridiculous. I've been back and forth over 808 vs. Tanzbar, Miami, Jomox 888 and even bought the TR8 and jomox888 being delivered this week.
Has the 808 just recently shot up in price to 4k?
I know I probably need to just buy em all and feel em out.
The TR8 has a good BD and SD, the others are okay.
Guess I'm looking for an all around 808 BD, but that won't be my only BD.
Any feedback on what I've listed or anything I have not listed for a drum machine sequencer?

2. I'm not opposed to CV or audio ins for mixing. I wouldn't mind recording in my DAW or a QY700 or through a mixer. I've seen a lot midi added to vintage gear. Can someone tell me the first true midi keyboards for
1. Roland
2. Yamaha
3. Korg

3. I have some friends from Detroit who have a crazy synth collection. I mean crazy. They just posted their 808 on ebay. They've invited me over to look tomorrow. Can someone give a value on a few for me?
Jupiter 8 or 6
Juno 106
SH 101
MC 202

I'm going in with about 5 to spend and hoping I come home with some vintage gear.

4. If I buy an 808 or jupiter without midi. Who would you recommend to add professional midi channels and also clean/service.

Thanks for creating this forum and thank you for your feedback
"Music is the drug"

Rezisehtnys
Gear: Ensoniq VFX
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Re: hello forum = Old school heads looking for gear, advice.

Post by Rezisehtnys » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:24 am

Why spend so much for what have become collector's toys when you can get far much more with other alternatives. If you just have to HAVE those particular sounds then go for it. With $5K you can walk out with the Jupiter 8... Anyhow the first MIDI synth was the Roland JX-3P and I suppose the SCI Prophet 600, in fact during NAMM there was a demonstration of the two being interfaced with each other to show the power of such an interface, which we all know to be true seeing what it's become. Yamaha's first was the DX1/5/7 and KORG would be the Poly-61M or Poly-800. There are good analogue poly synths that came with MIDI from the factory and don't cost an arm and a leg, as they're not lusted over. Though that's starting to change sadly. The JX-8P is a phenomenal synth that will cost less than a wild night out on the town. There are modern analogue poly synths as well, or you can even go with virtual analogues.

Have a look through the synths section and those that pique your interest check them out on YouTube and such. As far as pricing goes eBay seems to make for a good benchmark. As far as adding MIDI I'd just consider getting a converter, just think one day how much an unmolested example will be worth...

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:21 am

buy an 808 and an Elektron box, (Machinedrum is a dream) sample all your favourite 808 settings into the MD and then sell it on for the same price. Sure, it won't sound exact because the MD is 12bit but what you will get is the most diverse drum machine you can get your hands on.

Or you could do the same with the new analogrytm, but I have no opinion on that. It looks great though.

georgemarauder

Post by georgemarauder » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:14 am

Rezisehtnys wrote:Why spend so much for what have become collector's toys when you can get far much more with other alternatives.
This. Although I'll go in a completely different route and suggest...*gasp*...software. For a few hundred bucks you can have the ultimate software setup that does everything an 808 and jupiter does, sounds just as good in a mix and saved you thousands of dollars and the headaches that come along with owning vintage gear. Of course, you need a decent enough computer to run it all, so maybe consider spending your grands on that.

Trust me, I love vintage synths but when I had to wait 30 minutes for my Bit One to warm up to stay in tune, or my Odyssey randomly mis-tracks the pitch up and down an octave, I really just wanted something analog to work right for once. We have it easy with software now which never goes out of tune unless you want it to and it's a breeze to work with. Makes the actual "making music" part of, erm...making music, a much more streamlined, accessible and fun experience.

Good luck!

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:37 pm

sol-bass-rec wrote: 4. If I buy an 808 or jupiter without midi. Who would you recommend to add professional midi channels and also clean/service.
I had the Kenton MIDI kit installed into my 808 back in '93. CHD Elektroservis also has MIDI kit for TR-808. I just bough the CHD MIDI kit for my CR-78 and had my local tech (Audio Electronics in Dallas) install it.

I also had Audio Electronics install the Encore MIDI kits into my Jupiter 8 and OB-X.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

ranzee
Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Post by ranzee » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:06 am

sol-bass-rec wrote:Hello forum,
Well, hello there!
sol-bass-rec wrote:Has the 808 just recently shot up in price to 4k?
You can probably still get ones for $3K if you shop around - but yes, pretty well much they're now a collector's item.
sol-bass-rec wrote:Any feedback on what I've listed or anything I have not listed for a drum machine sequencer?
There's a gazillion options for drums - it really depends on your sound taste and your workflow. A sampling drum machine might be a good idea as it will give you flexibility to sounds. Cheap start will be a Korg ESX (SD version). You can also do this in software - like Geist, or even use Ableton Live's Drum Rack! Arturia Spark is also pretty nice - if you like software/hardware hybrids.
sol-bass-rec wrote:Can someone tell me the first true midi keyboards for
1. Roland
2. Yamaha
3. Korg
Answered already.
sol-bass-rec wrote:Can someone give a value on a few for me?
Jupiter 8 or 6
Juno 106
SH 101
MC 202
Best thing to do is check out Ebay - and search for Sold Listings - this will tell you the sold price (as opposed to the asking price). This site has done some work in keeping records of this: http://synthprices.blogspot.com.es/
sol-bass-rec wrote:If I buy an 808 or jupiter without midi. Who would you recommend to add professional midi channels and also clean/service.
I wouldn't buy an 808. I'd wait for the hype to drop, and get one later - as there are plenty of alternatives that will deliver very close results. Jupiters on the other hand are awesome - buy buy buy! Mod mod mod! ;)

sol-bass-rec
Mophox4, MG-1, BS2
Ensoniq Fizmo
Roland TR-808 & R8
Acidlab Miami

Post by sol-bass-rec » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:06 am

Many thanks guys.

I went and visited the vault, well kind of. I seen about 1/3 of what he owns. He is selling it all off so I'm in good hands. He assured me he wanted me to own the 808, which I would be more than happy with except he's got so many damned drum machines.

I was like a kid in a candy store yet I've only read about most of the stuff. Here is what I seen.

Sequential Circuits drum tracks 24
Drum sampler Pro 1 or 6
Echo Bass tape distortion think plastic man helicopters.
A few other SCI
Korg poly
JX 3P with osc box
Juno 106 with osc box
Juno D
Akai 2000 with some wiggee digg card.
A few other yamaha drum machines

honestly I'm overwhelmed. He showed me all this a few years ago and said he was never going to sell it. He's giving me the whole list soon.

I'm mostly after
juno 106. He assured me it's a lot cleaner than what's on ebay
$650 sounds like more than a generous deal from a friend.
You guys will want to keep an eye out on ebay for refreshtech.

Old Detroit bros, old techno heads and old djs. They will be selling some super clean and we'll kept vintage.

So what is this Europa mod and where do I send or how do I install?

If I can't swing the 808 I will get the 909.
The juno 106 is mine.

I don't mind sharing the list when I get it and maybe someone can help me out.
"Music is the drug"

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:15 am

Put the 106 in test mode and check for bad chips.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:05 am

My 808 was probably the best piece of gear that I've ever bought. I paid about $1800 a few years ago (june 2011?), and so far it's been totally worth it. I'm sure I would have written tracks I liked without it had I not bought it, but I really like what it's been able to contribute. If you're producing somebody's record, and you're looking for a solution for creating 808 sounds, there are plenty of probably free options that you could get away with using, and the average listener might not be able to tell/care. If you're on a personal quest to create and explore your own material, and you also want to enjoy the experience as much as possible, I would say go for it. Especially if, like me; a large percentage of the music you listen to and plan on creating uses it.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:24 pm

A warning that old gear can and most probably will have or will get issues.

I wouldn't touch a 106 unless it has all its voice chips replaced with clones.

IMO you would be better off just buying new gear. With all the new analog gear and the newer digital stuff like that Roland aria drum machine thing you can get essentially the same sounds out of new equipment. It won't break for a while and it will be more fully featured :lol: .

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:22 pm

Of course, do and buy what you want. But I agree with those who say modern gear is both less money and more reliable. I briefly owned the TR-8, and it's a pretty good emulation of an 808 and 909- plenty close enough for most. I sold mine for what I paid, and just got a DSI Tempest. Very different vibe, but holy s**t what a deep and great sounding beat box it is. And for keys, we are living in an analog renaissance period right now. Never been such a huge array of machines at such affordability. Maybe just poke around and check a few new synths out, see what stands out to you.
Bassist, synth junkie

sol-bass-rec
Mophox4, MG-1, BS2
Ensoniq Fizmo
Roland TR-808 & R8
Acidlab Miami

Post by sol-bass-rec » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:01 am

Very happy day today.

I bought the 808 and a Juno 106 for $3,000.

Both in excellent condition, very well taken care of.

Now excuse me while I drop that bass. 8-)
"Music is the drug"

sol-bass-rec
Mophox4, MG-1, BS2
Ensoniq Fizmo
Roland TR-808 & R8
Acidlab Miami

Post by sol-bass-rec » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:42 am

"Music is the drug"

Rezisehtnys
Gear: Ensoniq VFX
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Post by Rezisehtnys » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:43 am

We'll see you in a few weeks when you tire of not being able to escape "IT'S A JUNO AND 808 f**k" sound in your music. :P

sol-bass-rec
Mophox4, MG-1, BS2
Ensoniq Fizmo
Roland TR-808 & R8
Acidlab Miami

Post by sol-bass-rec » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:53 am

We are old school Florida raised vinyl and bass junkies. Our community and friends will never get tired of an 808.

now I on the other hand, have a thing for all genres so if I want house techno nuskool dub or trap, I can make our studio sound like a 250,000 room by sitting at a desk, staring at two LED monitors and plugging away at waves ableton and reason.

But nobody will make me feel bad for owning the piece that started sooooo many genres. This musical instrument is a galactic event for my crew.

By the way, the 808 sounds soo good.
"Music is the drug"