hello forum = Old school heads looking for gear, advice.

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Rezisehtnys
Gear: Ensoniq VFX
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Re: hello forum = Old school heads looking for gear, advice.

Post by Rezisehtnys » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:22 am

Oh no, I wasn't trying to take anything away from your purchase. I like both pieces, it's just they have a very DISTINCT sound that you really can't escape. Which is a double edged blade in a way.

I command you to make a cover of Marvin Gaye's "Sexual Healing" now that you have an 808. :P

sol-bass-rec
Gear: Juno 106
Mophox4, MG-1, BS2
Ensoniq Fizmo
Yamaha CS6X AN1X AN200 DX200 RX11
Roland TR-808 & R8
Aira: System 1 TR-8 TB-3 VT-3
Acidlab Miami
Band: Bass Records, Suite 16, Meg Li

Post by sol-bass-rec » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:29 am

Ah ha. No problem man. Not a direct reply but a lot of people have been 50/50 or one way or another.

I'm not done but near complete.

Yes, don't matter how many times that Marvin Gaye song comes on I leave it on for at least the instrumental and a little longer.

I could always rerub

Surely this needs a 2014 relaunch. And I will get Pit Bull to rap on it about "money ain't a thing that's why I rub it in your face" please buy my album.

Only if Fergie isn't available. ...
"Music is the drug"

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Sun May 04, 2014 2:35 pm

Congrats brother. Bounce to the rhythm and enjoy.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sun May 04, 2014 3:18 pm

hellsyeah.

808 & 888 together should be mental.
i run a 999 and a miami together all the time, myself, along with octatrack; on occasion some RY30 or modular drum patches, too.
there's nothing like running two or more rhythm machines to build a track up live...the phrase 'more than the sum of it's parts' comes to mind.

there's such a direct, vital sound to be had with this approach, with much more energy and life than any DAW could ever muster. you can't polish a turd, after all... and we haven't gotten many (if any, really) classic jams by using the glorified typewriter as sound and control source, have we :)
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sun May 04, 2014 3:34 pm

georgemarauder wrote:
Rezisehtnys wrote:Why spend so much for what have become collector's toys when you can get far much more with other alternatives.
This. Although I'll go in a completely different route and suggest...*gasp*...software. For a few hundred bucks you can have the ultimate software setup that does everything an 808 and jupiter does, sounds just as good in a mix and saved you thousands of dollars and the headaches that come along with owning vintage gear. Of course, you need a decent enough computer to run it all, so maybe consider spending your grands on that.

Trust me, I love vintage synths but when I had to wait 30 minutes for my Bit One to warm up to stay in tune, or my Odyssey randomly mis-tracks the pitch up and down an octave, I really just wanted something analog to work right for once. We have it easy with software now which never goes out of tune unless you want it to and it's a breeze to work with. Makes the actual "making music" part of, erm...making music, a much more streamlined, accessible and fun experience.

Good luck!
no, no, no and NO. Do not trust him. :D
They most certainly do not sound "just as good", especially on a very good LOUD system - the difference is night and day.
Both of you's(george and whateveryournameis) VSE status is suspect.
Do not pass go, go directly to gearslutz or kvr and stay there, do not collect any more vintage synths. :mrgreen:

The solution is to learn to solder and read service manuals, or get friendly with a tech who does.
The fact is that older synths are usually much easier to repair than new ones, because they were designed to be serviceable, and not some mass-produced flimsy SMD junk. Case in point, a did a re-bushing job on my Solus the same week as i attempted to correct multiple faults in my Ultranova's keybed(imagine that, a 2-year old all-plastic, never-abused VA failing). The Solus repair took under an hour to do 3 dozen+ keys, plenty of room and clear design...while on the Ultranova I can't even get the key-assembly framework open because it's all designed to be put together ONLY, and not to be taken apart by Joe Blow.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Sun May 04, 2014 5:59 pm

shaft9000 wrote:hellsyeah.

808 & 888 together should be mental.
i run a 999 and a miami together all the time, myself, along with octatrack; on occasion some RY30 or modular drum patches, too.
there's nothing like running two or more rhythm machines to build a track up live...the phrase 'more than the sum of it's parts' comes to mind.

there's such a direct, vital sound to be had with this approach, with much more energy and life than any DAW could ever muster. you can't polish a turd, after all... and we haven't gotten many (if any, really) classic jams by using the glorified typewriter as sound and control source, have we :)
I love the 727 for this! It adds a great element to an 808 or 909. Patch the outs into a mixer with aux effect routing, and you can really expand the expressiveness of the duo!
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Rezisehtnys
Gear: Ensoniq VFX
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Post by Rezisehtnys » Wed May 07, 2014 4:31 am

shaft9000 wrote:
georgemarauder wrote:
Rezisehtnys wrote:Why spend so much for what have become collector's toys when you can get far much more with other alternatives.
This. Although I'll go in a completely different route and suggest...*gasp*...software. For a few hundred bucks you can have the ultimate software setup that does everything an 808 and jupiter does, sounds just as good in a mix and saved you thousands of dollars and the headaches that come along with owning vintage gear. Of course, you need a decent enough computer to run it all, so maybe consider spending your grands on that.

Trust me, I love vintage synths but when I had to wait 30 minutes for my Bit One to warm up to stay in tune, or my Odyssey randomly mis-tracks the pitch up and down an octave, I really just wanted something analog to work right for once. We have it easy with software now which never goes out of tune unless you want it to and it's a breeze to work with. Makes the actual "making music" part of, erm...making music, a much more streamlined, accessible and fun experience.

Good luck!
no, no, no and NO. Do not trust him. :D
They most certainly do not sound "just as good", especially on a very good LOUD system - the difference is night and day.
Both of you's(george and whateveryournameis) VSE status is suspect.
Do not pass go, go directly to gearslutz or kvr and stay there, do not collect any more vintage synths. :mrgreen:

The solution is to learn to solder and read service manuals, or get friendly with a tech who does.
The fact is that older synths are usually much easier to repair than new ones, because they were designed to be serviceable, and not some mass-produced flimsy SMD junk. Case in point, a did a re-bushing job on my Solus the same week as i attempted to correct multiple faults in my Ultranova's keybed(imagine that, a 2-year old all-plastic, never-abused VA failing). The Solus repair took under an hour to do 3 dozen+ keys, plenty of room and clear design...while on the Ultranova I can't even get the key-assembly framework open because it's all designed to be put together ONLY, and not to be taken apart by Joe Blow.
It's synthesizer spelled backwards. :lol: I wasn't saying to not buy vintage equipment, just that you can get a lot more for your money from getting gear that isn't coveted by collectors. It's age or method of sound generation being irrelevant. Personally the only software I bother with is of the recording variety, I can't convince myself to spend money on virtual instruments for whatever reason.

Yeah, I wish newer gear was as easy to get into as most of the vintage gear. Usually with a vintage synth you're only 6 screws away from getting it opened up, today's stuff you have to remove every last freaking screw. Then sometimes there's more to it than that even...

sol-bass-rec
Mophox4, MG-1, BS2
Ensoniq Fizmo
Roland TR-808 & R8
Acidlab Miami

Post by sol-bass-rec » Wed May 21, 2014 6:34 am

So Solder Soldiers.

I'm trying to replace two faders on my Juno 106. Just delivered from Italy. The insides of the replacements look a little rustyrusty on the inside. any tips?

Also what do I need?

Re solder gun that cuts?
Seen a nice one on a Juno Card 6 part tutorial on youtube.
Any suggestions or can I grab something basic from Radio Shack? They still have some cool tech toys and tools.

Figure starting with two faders should be easy enough.

BTW. No crackle and all the cards are original. Scary?
"Music is the drug"

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Post by 8bit9bot » Wed May 21, 2014 6:49 pm

if you have any fears about it, bring/send it to a synth repair place... definitely easier - if you want to learn how to do your own repairs i suggest not skimping on the quality of your soldering iron and desoldering heat gun or whatever it is you plan to get - make sure you get temperature controlled stuff so you dont damage your boards/components... and get plenty of practice soldering stuff that is cheap...

*do not practice on your expensive gear*

hope this helps a little

sol-bass-rec
Mophox4, MG-1, BS2
Ensoniq Fizmo
Roland TR-808 & R8
Acidlab Miami

Post by sol-bass-rec » Thu May 22, 2014 3:07 am

Absolutely helpful. I believe I have some old pci cards or electronics to work with.

Thanks for pointers
"Music is the drug"