Advice on a new synth???

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
synthesizerworship

Advice on a new synth???

Post by synthesizerworship » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:37 am

Hello all, new to the forum here and somewhat new to synths.

I'm looking at getting a new synth. It's kinda hard reading through reviews since people have different preferences, I figured I'd see if I could narrow down my options. My first synth was a Korg MS2000B that I had for about 2 years that I sold recently. I really liked the layout, features and tweakability of the synth just didn't like the sound. Didn't sound as clear and upfront as several others I've used. I play guitar and just want to add different sounds. I've been using a Korg R3 which sounds better but doesn't have the knob per function usability I like.

Basically I'm looking for a synth (VA or Analog) that has lot of features that easy to use/tweak, sounds clear and will cut through a mix. Not so much EDM/dance sounds so much as thick bass/oscillators, 8 bit sounds, and bell/piano type sounds. Anything around $500-$1200 is the price range I suppose.

I'm considering:

Nord Lead 2
Access Virus TI
Moog Sub Phatty

Some examples of influences/similiar sounds I'm looking for that use guitar and synth:

Any advice/recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Percivale
Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Re: Advice on a new synth???

Post by Percivale » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:59 am

I have none of those you listed. From the three, I would say Virus TI though there is a quicker (but more costly) version 2 or get the Sub Phatty though a SUB 37 is being manufactured soon. To really find sounds that complement well with your guitar, why not experiment/demo playing them together.

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:05 am

radias...

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:02 am

synthesizerworship wrote:I've been using a Korg R3 which sounds better but doesn't have the knob per function usability I like.
Sounds like you want a Radias then.

mootbooxle
Gear: Rhodes Suitcase 73, Wurly 206,
Dotcom Modular, ARP Odyssey, Roland SH-3, Yamaha DX7 and DX100, Nord Lead 2X, Sassmann Harpsichord, Roland JV-1080, Etc
Band: Moot Booxlé

Post by mootbooxle » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:03 am

As a guy who has regularly played live with one since it was released, the Nord Lead 2X (not the original; the re-issue with 24-bit DAC and more polyphony/memory) will do pretty much everything you're looking for, and it's so well suited for live use. And it's super lightweight whilst still being very sturdily built (no cheapo plastic here!).
Sure, it's not analogue, and it's not "the best" virtual analogue synth out there, but it more or less runs the gamut of every synth sound you mentioned wanting.

I've even been able to get a pretty convincing 2A03 Pulse and SID PWM lead sound out of it, so it's also got your 8-bit sounds covered.

Good luck!

georgemarauder

Post by georgemarauder » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:11 pm

If the Nord Lead 2 is anything like the VSTi based on it's architecture (Ichiro Toda's Synth1), then it's got to be a very versatile and great synth. That's all I've really got to add, though.

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:41 pm

Yea the R3 is a pretty nice synth its a shame its a little bit limited and they didn't make it easier to edit (how hard would it be to add a few more knobs and a bigger screen?) docking it up to the pc is a pain.

I have an r3 but not a radias. The radias is just essentially a 24 voice r3 with knobs. Its a module what alot of the time comes with a special keyboard to hold it minimoog style.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:47 pm

The Radias can also load R3 presets....

synthesizerworship

Post by synthesizerworship » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:49 am

thank you all for the replies and advice!!!

I forgot about the Radias, I'll have to check that one out. Does it have the same engine as the R3 or is it different? So far it's down to that and Nord Lead 2.

I don't have many music stores in my area for me to actually test out good synths. I usually just buy them and try them out, so far I've sold my first and the R3 belongs to my fellow band member. I always hear about the Clavia Nord Leads as being the best VAs there are.
Percivale wrote:I have none of those you listed. From the three, I would say Virus TI though there is a quicker (but more costly) version 2 or get the Sub Phatty though a SUB 37 is being manufactured soon. To really find sounds that complement well with your guitar, why not experiment/demo playing them together.
The SUB 37 looks really awesome, and am considering it for my first analog. I'm glad it has an arpeggiator and has knobs like the Sub Phatty.