I AM Electro ~ Vocoder Suggestions

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
sol-bass-rec
Gear: Juno 106
Mophox4, MG-1, BS2
Ensoniq Fizmo
Yamaha CS6X AN1X AN200 DX200 RX11
Roland TR-808 & R8
Aira: System 1 TR-8 TB-3 VT-3
Acidlab Miami
Band: Bass Records, Suite 16, Meg Li

I AM Electro ~ Vocoder Suggestions

Post by sol-bass-rec » Thu May 15, 2014 3:27 am

Wondering if some elders or owners could help out a member in search of the right vocoder?

Vintage or New, Synth or processor, stand alone or combo.

The most important need for us for recording and live is the need to save a patch.

Please cross off the Microkorg, electribe s and groove boxes from that list.

I also here the new Roland VT-3 shipped without a $ave feature. Boooo

I have the Korg MS2000 on my list, possibly ultranova. So $300-$400 is my price range.

:?:
Thank you in advance.
"Music is the drug"

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: I AM Electro ~ Vocoder Suggestions

Post by Z » Thu May 15, 2014 3:35 am

sol-bass-rec wrote: The most important need for us for recording and live is the need to save a patch.
A vocoder is a processor, not a synthesizer and does not have "patches"

Regarding the VT-3, its vocoder does not allow the user to "play" the notes on a keyboard or other MIDI controller. Rather, the pitch is controlled by a slider on the device. Also, the VT-3 does not allow an external carrier signal - you're stuck with the built-in carrier.

"I AM ELECTRO"? It doesn't get any more electro than the Roland SVC-350
[youtube][/youtube]
The best vocoder for the money.

/thread

EDIT: I just noticed the price range. In that case, you might consider the Korg DVP-1. Yes, it's digital. Yes, you're stuck with built-in carrier wave, but it's optimized for vocals. AND, it has pitch shifter and harmonizing modes.
[youtube][/youtube]
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

genshi
Gear: Arp Odyssey
DSI MEK
MiniBrute
Korg MS-20mini
Nord Lead
OP-1
Octatrack
Moog Mother-32 (x3)
Moog Sub37
Roland JP8000/JV2080
Waldorf MicroQ/Microwave XTk
Band: jido-genshi, Science Patrol...

Post by genshi » Thu May 15, 2014 7:01 am

I use to have an Electro Harmonix EH-0300 vocoder which was one of the best sounding vintage Vocoders I've ever used. But now, since the first week it came out, I use (and love) the Electrix Warp Factory. I'm sure you can find them on Ebay. Here is the first video I could find on it (not my video) -

thehighesttree

Post by thehighesttree » Thu May 15, 2014 3:19 pm

I'm curious as to why you're crossing the MicroKorg off the list but keeping the MS2000 since they're more or less the same engine. :?: I've never tried an analog vocoder, but I've got an R3 and it does a great job vocoding which is mainly what I use that synth for. It's got a good suite of effects and you can save different synth patches with thier own vocoder settings, plus it's got XLR input.

You might want to take a look at the new Aria vocal processor to match your bass machine. It looks like it has some really great features, the tradeshow demo I saw looked really impressive! It did some basic vocoding, but also autotune and a few other tricks.

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Thu May 15, 2014 3:23 pm

Also keep in mind how clear you want your vocals, i.e. SVC-350 has more bands = more distinct words. More bands more depth. The cheaper vocoders have less bands and tend to have a more muddy sound.

implant

Post by implant » Thu May 15, 2014 4:15 pm

check out the Novation MiniNova :) a very flexible synth with vocoding and other s**t that you might like.

feedmeseymour

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, Fantom 6, Novation Summit, Modal Argon8X, Yamaha MODX6, Behringer Odyssey, Behringer Poly D, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX.

Post by Broadwave » Thu May 15, 2014 5:21 pm

If you can get one, I recommend the Boss SE-70 Super Effects Processor - Vocoder 1 = 10 band, but more control. Vocoder 2 = 21 band, less control, but very clear. It also has great "vintage" effects.

...and you can save your patches ;)

recordbot

Post by recordbot » Fri May 16, 2014 5:41 am

you can get a brand new MAM FAT VOX whatever they called that thing rack vocoder for about your budget, check the back of old keyboard player magazines in the classified, the dumbest marketing concept idea ever, hey let's create a new brand and model number for each market we sell our vocoder in,

but it's a cool cheap vocoder supposedly used by the Beastie Boys on intergalactic

sol-bass-rec
Gear: Juno 106
Mophox4, MG-1, BS2
Ensoniq Fizmo
Yamaha CS6X AN1X AN200 DX200 RX11
Roland TR-808 & R8
Aira: System 1 TR-8 TB-3 VT-3
Acidlab Miami
Band: Bass Records, Suite 16, Meg Li

Post by sol-bass-rec » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:21 am

Wow thanks guys. Lots of ideas.

So has anybody used the VH card for the Yamaha CS6X?
Just bought the board and have 1 PLG open.

Last week I picked up less than 3 months old Mopho 4, TR8, TB3 and VT3 for $1300 I bought a DSI and essentially walked with a FREE AIRA setup.

The VT3 is fun though I've only been talking through a Mic. I have yet to run any audio through it but will soon.

On the mini synths, I believe I would go with Novation.

Going to check out the racks you guys suggested. I need to get.brushed up on my Vocoder education for sure. Hopefully there are enough videos.

This forum is my new home. I appreciate this place so much. Wife, not so much.
"Music is the drug"

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:39 pm

Also dont forget the EHX vocoders. I have used the Iron Lung for a while now. It sounds fine for recording but is difficult to use live because it tends ring pretty easily. Still, it accepts real mic level on an XLR for the voice and line/synth level for carrier, so you can use any keyboard (even a cheap Casio) to supply the keyboard part.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

MBlom

Post by MBlom » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:10 am

I've been using a talkbox in my band instead of a vocoder. Partly because we all play synths and drummachines and therefore the volume is at talking level when we rehearse so with a vocoder too much of my clean vocals would come through, with the talkbox it's all synth that's coming out of my mouth (as it is when talking to my girlfriend). And partly because I like the more funky "growly", "wovely" sound of a talbox compared to the more smooth sound of a vocoder.
But now my fellow bandmates are asking for more variation vocal-wise. So yesterday I ordered an EHX V256 vocoder/vocal processor. Of course I was temted to buy a more advanced dedicated vocoder and/or an old school one. But since we're on the "finding our sound"-stage, I don't want to invest too much time and money researching, looking and saving for such a vocoder if it won't suit me or the band. And with the V256 I can both get cofortable with my own vocals being heard as well as experimenting with genderbender. And another benefit with it is that it's got an internal synthesizer as carrier so I can just connect a small midikeyboard and be able to play my Voyager as I'm doing vocals.

I'll write some here about it when I've used it a bit. It might interest someone.

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:17 pm

With a little luck you can pick up a cheap Electrix Warp Factory. It's as good as it get's in that price range

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:58 pm

whatever happened to Electrix? did they go out of business? there stuff was everywhere but now I only see it used.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

kalex

Post by kalex » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:42 pm

You might be interested in this..
"Elektronika EM-26", there is one on Ebay right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/322057668028