hidden cost of using ebay

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

hidden cost of using ebay

Post by 8bit9bot » Fri May 30, 2014 9:04 pm

i recently sold some stuff on ebay... not only are the fees ridiculous at this point but one buyer insisted i use USPS to ship to hawaii... so i did and its been a month now and still hasnt arrived... now im probably going to be refunding the whole thing

i hate ebay and usps... i recommend not using either of then especially not together

buy your synths from dealers or on vse!

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: hidden cost of using ebay

Post by meatballfulton » Fri May 30, 2014 9:24 pm

USPS is OK if you use Priority and pay for tracking. I use it for small stuff (anything that fits into a flat rate box) all the time.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Fri May 30, 2014 10:00 pm

eBay's fees are still cheaper than Amazon. I only use USPS for sending small items/parts (keyboard keys, memory cards, etc) domestic and for overseas shipments. USPS is pretty much a joke. Even with Priority Mail, the tracking is hit or miss.

For domestic parcels, I use UPS. I ship from the Office Depot copy/print center and get Office Depot Rewards to use on future shipments.

Yes, selling on eBay is a drag, but people b***h about eBay WAY too much. eBay is the best way to get the most exposure. I've been selling gear for 24+ years. First it was advertizing in NY Times, Chicago Tribune & LA Recycler. Then rec.music.makers.synth and r.m.m.marketplace. Now I've got ads all over the place online: CraigsList, VSE and a few FB groups. I've got 300+ subscribers to my www.facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear now, but eBay still brings in the most potential customers.

Who here remembers newspaper classified ads? It cost $25 (20 years ago, now that $25 would be worth closer to $40 or $50) to place a 2 line ad for 10 days!

[soapbox]
So tired of people bitching about every goddam thing these days. Do y'all know how great you've got it? So what if Moog hasn't made a new polysynth. If they did, people would still b***h about it. $3k for a new polysynth!?!? The SCI Prophet 5 was 4 grand in 1979. That's over $10k today adjusted for inflation!
[/soapbox]
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Post by 8bit9bot » Fri May 30, 2014 10:11 pm

yeah usually i only ship with UPS or fedex myself... but this one buyer was insistent on USPS... anyway she just told me a few minutes ago that the package arrived... so at least the drama is over

i've been using it since the 90's... it's just getting more annoying as time goes on

hmm i dont care if moog makes a polysynth... you got the wrong guy ;)

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Z » Fri May 30, 2014 10:30 pm

8bit9bot wrote: hmm i dont care if moog makes a polysynth... you got the wrong guy ;)
That was directed to everyone bitching on the "What Should Moog" make thread and b***h about everything being made and not being made.

I own a furniture business: Elegant Accents. I'd say at least 80% of my business comes from people finding me on eBay. I've been using eBay as an "ADVERTISING MEDIUM" since 1999. The cost of selling on eBay has actually DECREASED over the years. In the beginning of eBay, there were listing fees based on the opening bid or reserve amount of the item you had for sale. The average cost of something I have for sale is around $800. If I remember correctly, the listing fee for an item over $199 was $5 for 7 days. Before the "eBay Store" model was introduced, I would list about 20 items a week. That's $10 a week ($400 a month) in listing fees - even if the item didn't sell. Plus, eBay would nickel-and-dime you for every goddam add-on: photos (remember when they charged 10 cents a photo!), bold title, and a bunch of other s**t.

In the mid aughts, I was paying around 2 grand a month in eBay fees. Now my monthly fees rarely exceed a grand.

Zmeinogorsk

Post by Zmeinogorsk » Fri May 30, 2014 11:27 pm

Let me just say that as Canadian who has often bought from US sellers, I am so sick and tired of UPS. USPS + Canada Post combo (with tracking ofc) has always been reliable for me, and they don't charge outrageous importation fees.

For instance, I bought a synth here from a fellow in the States and UPS charged a very large sum for the shipping, and also when I got the parcel I was told I was going to have to pay another $200 in mysterious fees. $50 was in taxes which I'm happy to pay, but $150 was just UPS being UPS. So essentially they hold your package hostage with the threat they'll send it back. This has happened many times, but whenever I've had USPS/Canada Post I get charged taxes and none of these other fees. Sure, domestic shipping might be fine, but for international shipments you're at their mercy, with what should be an illegal cash grab.

Also as someone who has worked in warehouses in the past, I have to say without question the most destroyed product we always received was via UPS. Oh well.

//rant over

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Sat May 31, 2014 12:44 am

8bit9bot wrote:i recently sold some stuff on ebay... not only are the fees ridiculous at this point but one buyer insisted i use USPS to ship to hawaii... so i did and its been a month now and still hasnt arrived... now im probably going to be refunding the whole thing

i hate ebay and usps... i recommend not using either of then especially not together

buy your synths from dealers or on vse!
You got insurance right? I've shipped 1000s of packages USPS and only once they lost it and I had to file a claim. They paid the full insured amount quickly and without any hassle... Try that with UPS/Fedex...

Who hear remembers buying/selling synths pre-ebay? Sending a synth COD and waiting nervously for weeks afterword to get a check from UPS or sending someone you never met a bunch of money upfront without any credit card protection and hoping you'd get your item in week or 2. I much prefer ebay and as Z said it is a great way to make millions of people aware of your business.
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Post by 8bit9bot » Sat May 31, 2014 4:25 am

synthparts wrote: You got insurance right? I've shipped 1000s of packages USPS and only once they lost it and I had to file a claim. They paid the full insured amount quickly and without any hassle... Try that with UPS/Fedex...
i didn't... the buyer paid for cheap usps shipping so i got the options which reflected the amount of $ they paid for shipping... i regret this... but luckily in the end it didnt matter
synthparts wrote: Who hear remembers buying/selling synths pre-ebay?
i do... i only ever bought stuff in person from music stores

ok yeah ebay has some good points but sometimes it just pisses me off so much - why dont sellers have the ability to give negative feedback anymore?

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Sat May 31, 2014 5:31 am

I hate shipping via UPS or Fedex because they practically require a full rectal exam to mail a package. In other words you can't just waltz into a branch with an addressed package and have the staff sticker on some labels and barcodes. Instead you basically have to fill out the equivalent of a USPS international custom's form just to ship state side. When it comes to ebay though I hope Elon Musk burns up on reentry. I would also like to echo Zmeinogorsk's sentiments regarding UPS's bullshit import fees.
Last edited by nuketifromorbit on Sat May 31, 2014 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

moodorf
Gear: Little Phatty (needs repair)
Blofeld
DSI Prophet 08
Ensoniq SQ80
Pittsburgh Modular System 10
Renoise
FL

Post by moodorf » Sat May 31, 2014 5:33 am

my two cents:

I've bought two different pieces of used gear from ebay and both times there were problems the seller never mentioned in the description...never again. Does that count as a 'hidden cost'? or maybe idk it's just a 'hidden risk'.

Though to be fair, I realize I'm probably just unlucky and the exception to the rule, and wouldn't hesitate on acquiring new gear from ebay--from a reputable/legitimate dealer.

ranzee
Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Post by ranzee » Sat May 31, 2014 10:49 am

Try living in Australia - where items that are decent only rarely pop up on ebay in our country - and when they do the sellers know this, so they want to profit from it. So that forces us to buy stuff from the US (sometimes Japan and the UK too) - and that makes all purchases really expensive. The freight costs are enormous.

Without Ebay, I wouldn't have some of my nice gear. I wouldn't ever buy anything internationally on Craigslist - and I only ever use Gumtree in Australia locally (so I can inspect the goods in person). Ebay gives me the rights to return and get a refund when a buyer stretches the truth. This is piece of mind to me.

Earlier this year I purchased a synth from Ebay from the US - and it ended up being a nightmare. In the end I got my money back - but it did cost me in postage. So you really have to be careful what you buy.

I don't sell (and don't plan on selling) - I'm more a user than a recycler.

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Post by 8bit9bot » Sat May 31, 2014 3:47 pm

moodorf wrote:my two cents:

I've bought two different pieces of used gear from ebay and both times there were problems the seller never mentioned in the description...never again. Does that count as a 'hidden cost'? or maybe idk it's just a 'hidden risk'.

Though to be fair, I realize I'm probably just unlucky and the exception to the rule, and wouldn't hesitate on acquiring new gear from ebay--from a reputable/legitimate dealer.
that has happened to me too - i think its pretty common! i won't buy any vintage equipment on ebay without assuming it's going to require repairs when it arrives - also i think ebay is responsible for inflating synth prices... all the good deals i've been seeing lately are from synth dealers like switched-on austin and perfect circuit audio

sol-bass-rec
Gear: Juno 106
Mophox4, MG-1, BS2
Ensoniq Fizmo
Yamaha CS6X AN1X AN200 DX200 RX11
Roland TR-808 & R8
Aira: System 1 TR-8 TB-3 VT-3
Acidlab Miami
Band: Bass Records, Suite 16, Meg Li

Post by sol-bass-rec » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:19 pm

Yep $466.00 last month at around $4,000 in sales or so.

Ridiculous. But where else can I sell painted 15mm WWII miniatures?

It funded my renewed interest in collecting gear.
"Music is the drug"

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:03 pm

Zmeinogorsk wrote:Let me just say that as Canadian who has often bought from US sellers, I am so sick and tired of UPS. USPS + Canada Post combo (with tracking ofc) has always been reliable for me, and they don't charge outrageous importation fees.

For instance, I bought a synth here from a fellow in the States and UPS charged a very large sum for the shipping, and also when I got the parcel I was told I was going to have to pay another $200 in mysterious fees. $50 was in taxes which I'm happy to pay, but $150 was just UPS being UPS. So essentially they hold your package hostage with the threat they'll send it back. This has happened many times, but whenever I've had USPS/Canada Post I get charged taxes and none of these other fees. Sure, domestic shipping might be fine, but for international shipments you're at their mercy, with what should be an illegal cash grab.

Also as someone who has worked in warehouses in the past, I have to say without question the most destroyed product we always received was via UPS. Oh well.

//rant over
^this. So much this. Problem with UPS, Purolator and Fed Ex is they broker things across the border, so they don't have to take the packages off their vehicles for processing through normal customs. They charge a brokerage fee on every package that crosses the border, and the cost of the brokerage fee is dependent on the value of the item being shipped. For instance, recently bought an A4 off somebody on Elektronauts. Asked them to ship USPS instead of UPS for this very reason, but they chose to use UPS anyways :x Cost them like $60 to ship it, and upon receiving it here they wanted me to pay $87 for their brokerage fee plus like $140 in customs. DAFUQ?? The driver was actually telling me that apparently there is currently a class-action suit against UPS for this, as essentially they are robbing people blind. $87 to file a piece of paperwork electronically, when it cost only $60 to ship it across the continent? With USPS shipments I'd say I maybe get hit with customs on 1 in 5 packages, as they don't actually check every package that crosses the border. With UPS and the like you are guaranteed full customs charges (13% on the declared value of the item) plus whatever they decide to charge you for the brokerage.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Z » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:53 pm

Zmeinogorsk wrote:
Also as someone who has worked in warehouses in the past, I have to say without question the most destroyed product we always received was via UPS.
If an item is packed properly, it won't get damaged. I've never had a piece of gear I've shipped get damaged and I've shipped large synths overseas (Matrix 12 to The Netherlands and CS60 to Italy). I seldom insure my shipments because of my proper packing. Insurance is a racket: if item is packed properly, it won't get damaged. If an item is damaged due to improper packing, a claim will be denied.

A couple of years ago, I made a video on how to properly pack a 1U rack unit. I'm currently editing a video I filmed last week on how to pack a keyboard synth.
[youtube][/youtube]