TR-909 for Cheap?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: TR-909 for Cheap?

Post by kuroichi » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:48 pm

While one may pop up eventually, I doubt it any time soon. The 808 and 909 pricing is all about over inflation nowadays. The 909 is my probably my favourite drum machine, but the pricing lately is just beyond ridiculous for anyone seeking to use one regularly.

I tend to prefer the 909 model on the tr8. I'm not sure why exactly but I think it just sounds closer.

I would say keep checking. Sometimes people will need a quick sale and the price might be closer to what your hoping. However a lot of people now know of the hype surrounding the machines so this is gonna be unlikely.

Perhaps acidlab will produce a 909 clone. Hopefully with a different design to their other boxes.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

Jonahs

Post by Jonahs » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:48 pm

http://www.9090project.co.uk :) i don't like the 909 and this sounds way better to me.

anyone building them? looks like a pretty involved project. i might try doing a couple of the drum sounds though.

add in this: http://www.beat707.com/w/

Rumbler101

Post by Rumbler101 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:49 pm

ninja6485 wrote:That is more or less what I was trying to convey- if the BD is tuned to its lower settings, and what you are monitoring it with rolls off at or around that area, it will be hard to hear the impact of the BD. I have a set of yamaha msp5as, which combined with my room sound a little high forward, even with the appropriate settings configured on the back, so I know that if something sounds bassy on those, it will be very bassy on my gro7's or in the car. That can affect your perception of the power and impact of a really low Bass Drum, especially if you're not listening to your favorite artists through your monitors to get familiar with the sounds! I can very easily see this situation contributing to a dubious judgement that the machine in question sounds underwhelming.
That's interesting, reminds me when they were mastering Thriller and they put the songs through a tiny speaker to see if it sounded good on those and if it did, well... it would sound super awesome on the big monitors. Clever technique that, will never forget it.

Might be able to save up some money for Xmas, we'll have to see... been digging out the attic recently and the amount of stuff up there was insane, so much stuff -- couple of hundred I reckon I'll be able to get.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:33 am

Rumbler101 wrote:That's interesting, reminds me when they were mastering Thriller and they put the songs through a tiny speaker to see if it sounded good on those and if it did, well... it would sound super awesome on the big monitors. Clever technique that, will never forget it.
That's not just what they did for Thriller, but also every other album made in the last 40 years. Checking on small reference speakers is just a normal part of mixing.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:33 am

Most people listen to their pre mixes on all available players (around the studio/home) to check how normal listeners will hear it. Car stereo's are quite popular as alot of people will be listening there.