Yamaha RS7000 midi timing bug?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Yamaha RS7000 midi timing bug?

Post by nuketifromorbit » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:30 pm

Like the idiot I am I just jumped the gun and picked one up without doing a lot of extensive research. I plan on sequencing some outboard synths with this thing so I'm a bit worried about the quirks discussed in this thread http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... lit=rs7000. I don't plan on driving any external sequencers with the RS nor am I going to use it to sample long phrases. Should I be concerned about this issue, because not many people seem to have noticed it?
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Yamaha RS7000 midi timing bug?

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:29 am

I read the post but that test didn't account for one thing...the TX81Z!!! Any MIDI device is going to take some time to respond to incoming messages and it's unclear how much of that drift he saw in the samples he took were because of the MIDI msgs and how much because of latency in the TX.

Although the timing correction at the end of the loop does point to the RS, why would it be dead on just because it was the start of the loop? A better test would be to convert the loop into a longer pattern and see how the timing drift over multiple bars is.

Doing the math: At 48K sample rate there are 48,000 samples per second. At 120 BPM a quarter note is 1/120 of a minute or 500ms so a sixteenth note is 125 ms, 1/8 of a second. That's where he got the 6000 samples number. Being off by 10 samples is 10/6000...1/600...or .166%. So instead of 125 ms between the beats it's 125.2 ms. That's off by 200ns, wow! Can you even hear that?

After 16 beats if there was no correction at all you'd be off by 3.2 ms total, then the timing seems to correct itself. The biggest jump was 200 samples, 200/6000 is 1/30 or 3.3%. That is a lot more, so your 125 ms shifts by about 4 ms. Try running a drum hit through a digital delay set to 4 ms, 50/50 wet and you'll probably hear some flanging. But that's on only 2 notes out of the sixteen. How noticeable would it be in a mix?

Guess it depends on how much you require sample accurate MIDI timing for layering percussive sounds. Gearslutz is full of people who are so anal about it, if the kick and bass don't trigger on the same sample they freak out. Might as well stay ITB where you can get sample accuracy.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:00 am

A friend of mine uses an RS7000 specifically because he finds the midi timing particularly tight. I don't think you'll have an issue.

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:44 am

meatballfulton wrote:
Guess it depends on how much you require sample accurate MIDI timing for layering percussive sounds. Gearslutz is full of people who are so anal about it, if the kick and bass don't trigger on the same sample they freak out. Might as well stay ITB where you can get sample accuracy.
Ha, why do those people even bother with hardware then? Thanks for the summary, you really cleared some things up for me.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.