Best entry level synth?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
bendking

Best entry level synth?

Post by bendking » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:15 pm

Hi, I'm looking for a synth in the 800$ or so range.
I'm wondering what's the best synth I can get for that price, if anyone can help me out :)
I've been thinking about the Korg Kross 61, but I want to hear more opinions on the matter.

Thanks ahead,
Ben

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Re: Best entry level synth?

Post by zoomtheline » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:27 pm

All depends what you want to achieve. So many options and all have different character and functions.

First of all, do you wants Polyphonic (able to play chords) or monophonic (one note, for bass, solo leads etc etc)?
What kind of sounds are you aiming for?

bendking

Post by bendking » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:48 pm

zoomtheline wrote:All depends what you want to achieve. So many options and all have different character and functions.

First of all, do you wants Polyphonic (able to play chords) or monophonic (one note, for bass, solo leads etc etc)?
What kind of sounds are you aiming for?
Definitely Polyphonic, and basically a wide range of sounds.
I plan on playing with my friends songs with alot of different sounds.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:20 pm

Do you want to use preset sounds or do you want to dive in and make your own?
What kind of music is it? An idea of genre?

bendking

Post by bendking » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:51 pm

zoomtheline wrote:Do you want to use preset sounds or do you want to dive in and make your own?
What kind of music is it? An idea of genre?
Preset sounds.
Progressive Metal, mostly.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:20 pm

Pretty much any past workstation keyboard will do to a degree. You can pick up things like Tritons and phantoms fairly cheap, even further back things like Trinity's. I know nothing of these types of machines so I cannot say which type is better but many people in here do, so maybe someone will chime in.
I imagine the be all and end all would be a roland V synth though as it's very expressive.

You could get something really cheap and still find usable sounds like a CS1x.

Something new? maybe a kingkorg?

That said, any synth/keyboard will give you good sounds, and if things are too clean, whack them through some pedals.

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:56 pm

I can't speak for Korg Tritons and Yamaha Motifs but I am a Fantom X user and I would warmly recommend it. It covers the whole spectrum of sounds, from great pianos and strings to digital and analogue(-sounding) synths, it has a powerful built-in sequencer and an equally powerful sampler as well as many functions allowing quick selection of your favourite patches and performances in live situations. I picked up my X8 (that's the 88-note keyboard version) for about UK£800 complete with a flight case, maxxed out sample RAM and an SRX expansion card so you may well be able to pick up an unexpanded X6 (61 notes) for a lot less. There are a few on eBay for around £650 (just over $1,000) but people ask for silly money on there.

Edit: I hope I'm not infringing forum rules by doing this but user 'Z' on this forum is selling one for $600. Grab it while you can!
Link to thread
GC

bendking

Post by bendking » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:53 pm

Thanks for the replies guys! Waiting for more :)

dirkmalone

Post by dirkmalone » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:07 am

Roland V-Synth. Not entry level, but the Version 2 is in your price range. Your style of music suggests you don't need acoustic sounds from a workstation.

Jaytee

Post by Jaytee » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:23 pm

bendking wrote:what's the best synth
This is not an answerable question at any price range.