What do I get?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Which do I get

Poll ended at Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:21 pm

Roland Alpha Juno 2
50%
Novation Bass Station 1
25%
Novation Drum Station Rack + Midi Keyboard
No votes
Other (please suggest)
25%

Total votes: 4

HarryP

What do I get?

Post by HarryP » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:21 pm

Hey,
I am a new DJ/Producer age 14.
I currently have:
Ableton 8 live suite,
Novation launchpad
Novation launchkey
Novation K-Station
I am going to get a synth at Christmas and I can't decide which one. My original choices were Novation Bass Station 1 and Roland Alpha Juno 2 but I now don't mind as long as it is good.
My budget is £100 - £200 and I don't mind if it is a rack or a keyboard. I was thinking of getting a novation drum station but they are quite expensive but they have nice 808 sounds that are quite vital in my production.
If you have any advice on what to get please email me back, it will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Harry
And BTW
Hi all I am new and I love synths

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Re: What do I get?

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:57 pm

I've heard good things about the K-Station, but haven't used one. I'd suggest saving for a Bass Station 2 if you can. It will do everything you could possibly want, plus USB for better integration with Ableton.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:01 pm

Dont get too hung up on "analog is always best", it would really limit you since you'd skip a ton of features that a similarly costing digital va synth can offer.

yorgatron
Gear: ARP Axxe
ARP Omni I
Korg Poly-61
Korg MS-10
Korg Mini-Korg 700
Elka X-55
RMI 300A
Wurlitzer 206A
Hohner Clavinet/Pianet Duo
Casio XW-P1
Band: Asha-Med

Post by yorgatron » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:17 pm

Buzzcocks!

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:29 pm

Hi Harry,
and welcome to the board :)
If you're able to save a little more, you could get one of the new Korg Electribe's. Since you already have plenty of stuff, either of these boxes (preferably, perhaps, the synth version) could be brilliant for you. It lets you compose tracks and then just import those into Ableton Live, which you already have. Synth sounds, plenty of effects, sequencing and a Kaoss Pad for entering notes locked to selectable scales, plus do Kaoss Pad style manipulation of effects. I'm getting these myself :D

www.korg.com

Jaytee

Post by Jaytee » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:42 pm

Ableton Suite covers all your bread-and-butter sounds quite well. Given that, I would try to go for the two things that I think really separate hardware from software: character and interface. Get something that sounds really idiosyncratic, and make sure it has a butt-ton of knobs to fiddle with.

ejlif
Gear: Roland V synth Waldorf Q Roland Juno 106 MOOg slim phatty, Elektron analog 4, DSI P12, MS20 mini, Virus TI, Novation BSII,
Band: ejlif

Post by ejlif » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:30 pm

If you are looking for something that will give you a sound that is different from plugs and in my opinion better than the Bass Station II (I have one) is either the Korg MS20 or Moog Slim Phatty. These are both instruments that have some real life and breath to their sound. Personally I'd rather use 808 samples and have either a MS20 (my first choice of the two) or Slim Phatty. I have loads of synths and these little suckers sound as good and provide as much inspiration as any of them. The MS 20 you have no patch memory or mdi control of parameters but you can bounce to audio so quick in Ableton and still have so much control over the sound in audio form that I don't find it to even matter much for my uses.