What beside or in place of a Moog Sub Phatty?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Ollimac73
Gear: Moog Sub Phatty, MFB Tanzbar, Ableton Live 9 Suite + Push

What beside or in place of a Moog Sub Phatty?

Post by Ollimac73 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:05 am

Folks, you have been a great source of help during last months, this is my first post and I need advise from all you knowledgeable people.

About myself, after years of guitars, bass and percussions; I have completely fell in love with the synth world...I prepared myself with tons of theory, and finally I got couple of months ago a fantastic Moog Sub Phatty....great synth for a beginner, one know per function has been helping me a lot, and it integrates great with my bass/percussion background (considering I ve never played keyboard, although now I am scratching some notes on my son Yamaha EZ200).

Said that the Sub Phatty is a great tool, but I feel that I need to expand the sounds pallette; for example I would be interested in FX/Ambience sound, Arpeggiator/Sequencer, different Filter option....

I would have couple of solutions, but I need your help, let me write the options to improve my setup:

- Add a Novation Bass Station 2 beside my Moog Sub Phatty
- Sell the Sub Phatty and get a Moog Sub 37 Tribute Edition
- continue the practice with the Sub Phatty and wait the NAM and Messe with something new.

Bottom line the project is to integrate the sound/s of the synth with the metallic percussions of my handpan.

Thanks to all in advance for the way out!

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: What beside or in place of a Moog Sub Phatty?

Post by pflosi » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:03 pm

I think a poly would complement it well if it's ambience / pads sounds you're looking for.

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:09 pm

A good companion to the sub Phatty would be a novation ultranova or Mininova.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:16 pm

wait for the non-Tribute Sub 37?

You do know about the different filter settings for the sub phatty, yes?

Ollimac73

Post by Ollimac73 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:39 pm

Ashe37 wrote:wait for the non-Tribute Sub 37?

You do know about the different filter settings for the sub phatty, yes?
The Sub 37 option....I see it as a "step up" from the Sub Phatty, bottom line I love the Moog sound, it will give me more sounds as extra....of course, as Filter type more or less I ll improve the Sub Phatty, but not so much as expansion....and of course, it will be anyway limited on the FX/ambience side.

I have considered a Poly, but not being a keyboard player (although working on it), I am actually scared :oops:

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, Pro-One, Juno-60, JX-3P, AX80, SQ80, AN1x, DX100, DX7E!, DX7IIFDE!, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Drumtraks, TR-08 and Eurorack

Post by Swayze » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:50 pm

Ollimac73 wrote:I have considered a Poly, but not being a keyboard player (although working on it), I am actually scared :oops:
Do you have a decent computer? You could try some free soft synths using your sub phatty as a midi controller. Work on your chord progressions and get a better feel for it before you pull the trigger on a new polysynth.

Ollimac73

Post by Ollimac73 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:13 am

For a polysynth as next-step, I am practicing on a midi keyboard and time to time to my son's keyboard.....@ today, the stronger option is to sell the Sub Phatty and go for a Sub 37...big leap ahead; while I d practice the poly, it would be a big leap ahead.

corndogssg
Gear: v synth,little phatty2,jx10,kiwi106 jx305, jv2080x's8,k2600,ion,microQ,blofeld,evolver,tetra,x station,ultra nova,bass station2, jd990,minibrute
Band: sesame street gangsters

Post by corndogssg » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:38 am

h**l yeah get a bass station 2! they go for $350 used, and all though i have a little phatty, the bass station 2 has a completely different sound to it and for the money you will be happy with those 2 mono synths, yeah they are both mono synths, so you should get a poly synth, I also 2nd the novation ultra nova (or mini nova if you have small a*s fingers and can deal with the tiny keys, i can't stand mini synths personaly) but the ultra nova it's a dam decent digi poly, and that too can be bought for $350 used, Novation is a great company, you would be happy with either one of those or both, and yes the sub 37 is pretty much a sub phatty with a v8 under the hood, is it nice, h**l yah, but you all ready have the "moog sound" with the sub phatty.

Ollimac73

Post by Ollimac73 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:33 pm

corndogssg wrote:h**l yeah get a bass station 2! ...... and yes the sub 37 is pretty much a sub phatty with a v8 under the hood, is it nice, h**l yah, .....
The two you just mentioned are my goal....selling bass/guitars, to be able to have a setup with a Sub37 and a Bass Station 2.
For the Poly, I need to study the options, sounds....and in the meanwhile, get better on my keyboard skills :mrgreen: