please suggest my first synth

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
zardoz677

please suggest my first synth

Post by zardoz677 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:25 am

So I want to buy an analog synth! I have been learning programming using reason for a number of years now and its time to get real.

Heres my specifications:

- A good amount of knobs to play with. None of that 2 knob stuff . I wanna be hands on.
- Must be good for bass as the main priority
- Im on a budget and cant spend more than a grand but preferably less.

Heres the bass sounds Im after: (punchy sounding bass hits and sustained long growls)

Ive been looking at the ms20 mini since it has tons of knobs and that external audio output so I can run other things into it, but I hear its not great for bass....

Suggestions would be so helpful.

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, Pro-One, Juno-60, JX-3P, AX80, SQ80, AN1x, DX100, DX7E!, DX7IIFDE!, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Drumtraks, TR-08 and Eurorack

Re: please suggest my first synth

Post by Swayze » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:12 am

Congratulations, that's exciting. Honestly, you're best bet would be to hop back on Youtube. Type "analog mono synth" in the search bar and after spending some quality time watching demos and getting acquainted with what's out there, pick the synth that sounds the best to you.

max badwan
Gear: T1, XV 5080, ES1, Zaquencer

Post by max badwan » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:15 pm

If you are looking to buy new at that price point, you should have a look at Moog Sub Phatty, Slim Phatty and the MiniTaur. The MiniBrute would be worth a look as well. I'd also have a look at Roland Aira. Slightly off spec, but worth checking out would be DSI Tetra and Waldorf Pulse 2, still within budget.
If you're looking for something vintage, Roland SH 101 should be within your budget.
Hope that helps!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:48 pm

Minibrute is exactly what you want if you're on a budget.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:01 pm

zardoz677 wrote:Ive been looking at the ms20 mini since it has tons of knobs and that external audio output so I can run other things into it, but I hear its not great for bass....
The ms-20 mini is becoming my GO TO synth for bass. Growl is what it was MADE to do. So I have to ask, who has been telling you it is not good for that? Seriously, go play one at the music store.

As Stab says check out the Minibrute while you are at it you will not be disappointed.

Moog: SubPhatty is right there at a grand,their overdrive circuit has me very interested. Little Phatty or the Slim Phatty desktop unit could fit the bill.

Novation Bass Station II.

Roland Aira System-1 w/ SH-2 plugout sounds absolutely brilliant, you would not know it is not analog.

Or just wait and see how this Korg Odyssey product turns out next year.

zardoz677

Post by zardoz677 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:48 pm

Thanks everyone!
That Minotaur looks really cool actually since it has more knobs than the tetra or Waldorf.

The minibrute looks cool as well I will have to try these out. One concern of mine is that I don't want something that sounds too harsh or sharp in the top end.

The thing I have been reading about the ms20 has to do with its filter type or something not producing as much low end.... I'm still really interested in it though

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:28 pm

zardoz677 wrote:The thing I have been reading about the ms20 has to do with its filter type or something not producing as much low end.... I'm still really interested in it though
I can assure you it has plenty of low end. The filter includes a high pass (HP) section which on the surface doesn't seem useful...in theory a HP filter takes away low frequencies right? But taking into account the HP has resonance you can actually emphasize low frequencies and FATTEN UP the bottom end. It is entirely possible to use the patchcords and have the HP filter cutoff track the keyboard so the resonance is always in that low-frequency-emphasis sweet spot.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:01 am

zardoz677 wrote:Thanks everyone!
That Minotaur looks really cool actually since it has more knobs than the tetra or Waldorf.

The minibrute looks cool as well I will have to try these out. One concern of mine is that I don't want something that sounds too harsh or sharp in the top end.

The thing I have been reading about the ms20 has to do with its filter type or something not producing as much low end.... I'm still really interested in it though
The Minibrute is only harsh if you program it to be harsh. It can also do gentle delicate sounds, and everything in between. I recently used mine to record a song in an indie band and got some very nice flute/recorder type tones out of it.

Ollimac73
Gear: Moog Sub Phatty, MFB Tanzbar, Ableton Live 9 Suite + Push

Post by Ollimac73 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:15 pm

Sub Phatty is everything you need, fantastic bass, lead sound, ambiance deep patches to create....I love it! just I am missing an arpeggiator/sequencer to have a truly "hands on knobs" experience (easy fix linking it with some iPad apps).

Novation Bass Station 2 ... you have everything minus Moog sound; intriguing machine; I am looking at it myself as a second synth on-the-go.

Arturia Micro/Mini brute...lovely! I still see them with some limitations....but the sounds that can be created are astonishing, real blast.

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:19 pm

Hi,

+1 for the Minibrute. It is amazing what this thing can do for less than 500 Euros. And, as Stab Frenzy said, it can do very gentle sounds as well. Its sound variety is enormous :) .
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

zardoz677

Post by zardoz677 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:07 am

Ok so it looks like I'm in a toss up between the miniature, minibrute and maybe the novation bass station 2?

Can all of these program some fast acid bass lines if I must need to do so? Like will I be able to fine tune the finger envelopes and automate the portamento and filter very detailed in albeton sequencer? I forgot to mention that is essential

max badwan
Gear: T1, XV 5080, ES1, Zaquencer

Post by max badwan » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:12 am

zardoz677 wrote:Ok so it looks like I'm in a toss up between the miniature, minibrute and maybe the novation bass station 2?

Can all of these program some fast acid bass lines if I must need to do so? Like will I be able to fine tune the finger envelopes and automate the portamento and filter very detailed in albeton sequencer? I forgot to mention that is essential
the best advice I can offer is read the relevant manuals and check out the MIDI sysex and CC implementations.

Ollimac73
Gear: Moog Sub Phatty, MFB Tanzbar, Ableton Live 9 Suite + Push

Post by Ollimac73 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:41 am

zardoz677 wrote:Ok so it looks like I'm in a toss up between the miniature, minibrute and maybe the novation bass station 2?

On my search for a on-the-go synth, yesterday, I ended up trying a beautiful white Arturia Mcrobrute SE white.... I actually fell lin love with it, I was almost about to get it....ready to drops doubts about one oscillator, no noise section, what at the end put me off: the waiting warm-up time which I have been told it can take up to 15min :shock: (true?)...
The Novation Bass Station 2, was my first choice, quality wise, it felt better than the Microbrute (particularly the keyboard itself)...sounds and mods, plus perks like sequencer/arpeggiator...it s a really "Full Synth"....two things put me off....no CV/Gate....and particularly lots lots of hidden functions....which by the way already disturb me in the Sub Phatty.

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, Pro-One, Juno-60, JX-3P, AX80, SQ80, AN1x, DX100, DX7E!, DX7IIFDE!, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Drumtraks, TR-08 and Eurorack

Post by Swayze » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:07 pm

I have a microbrute that I just can't seem to let go of. Every time I get ready to sell it, I sit down and make great thumping sequences using the mod matrix. So I think I'll keep it around. That warm-up time is due to it having vco's instead of dco's, although I haven't really noticed it with mine. It usually takes me 15 minutes to get warmed up myself so it's not a problem.

If you want a noise generator and extra envelope for the filter, hold out for a minibrute or something else. The original micro is so cheap now, like $200 used, that you could always add one to your rig later.

ConstableReggie2
Gear: Minibrute SE
Nord Stage 2
Maschine Studio
Dave Smith Prophet 12
Elektron Keys

Post by ConstableReggie2 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:45 pm

I just bought the minibrute SE about a month ago. It's pretty badass. Got it for $400. I think the coupon code still works until the end of this month if you guys haven't found it yet. U2BRUTALDROP$ at uniquesquared.com. Free shipping too, super fast. Highly suggest this synth, been making some great songs with this piece. Cheers! http://www.uniquesquared.com/arturia-mi ... er-se.html
So get up get, get, get down
911 is a joke in yo town