Potentiometer Edition update for the Poly Evolver

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Zmeinogorsk

Potentiometer Edition update for the Poly Evolver

Post by Zmeinogorsk » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:38 pm

I've had my Poly Evolver Keyboard for about a year. There are aspects I really do like about it, but I have put the synth in a gig bag for about 4 months because of the rotary encoders. They drive me crazy, it will take me 5 minutes to turn off the delay on a patch because the encoders are just so bad - there are times when it seems they do literally nothing and just spin about. I guess I could use the +/- buttons to achieve the same result but that would take a lot of time as well.

I see on the DSI website it's $449 + 100 (for Prophet knobs) + shipping to replace the panel and knobs. To me that sounds crazy, I'm in Canada and with the exchange rate and importation duties I'd be looking at about $800. Insane. The synth is essentially unusable in its current state, and I would have to pay $800 to make is usable (I originally paid $1,200)? I know there are a lot of complaints online, and I understand it's expensive to replace boards, but DSI really screwed up on this one IMO.

Does anyone here have any suggestions? I am better off just selling the synth...or is there a way to fix the rotary encoders to make the synth fun again?

:evil:

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Re: Potentiometer Edition update for the Poly Evolver

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:50 am

What the h**l makes it unusable ? If anything the encoders work better with all the presets. :roll:
bonne chance

wordsdrawnigh

Post by wordsdrawnigh » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:09 pm

Have you tried Deoxit?

Zmeinogorsk

Post by Zmeinogorsk » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:52 pm

sequentialsoftshock wrote:What the h**l makes it unusable ? If anything the encoders work better with all the presets. :roll:
Er, what? Did you read my post?

I said to edit a patch I have to spin the knobs for what feels like ages. Like I said the delay knobs in particular do almost nothing. It took me 2 minutes to edit one delay parameter on one patch (+another 3 for the other parameters), and to me at least that makes its usability at lot less. It must my that my Poly suffers more than others, who knows.

walkathon
Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Post by walkathon » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:59 am

wordsdrawnigh wrote:Have you tried Deoxit?
Echoing this. I currently own a PEK / PER combo (and used to own a MEK), all of them have the c**p encoders. Every x months or so, I just have to take a bit of time and spray/deoxit all of them to get these normal. Massive bungle on their part, but do know you can bring them back to life, they just need TLC. Ask the googles for more info.

Zmeinogorsk

Post by Zmeinogorsk » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:15 am

walkathon wrote:
wordsdrawnigh wrote:Have you tried Deoxit?
Echoing this. I currently own a PEK / PER combo (and used to own a MEK), all of them have the c**p encoders. Every x months or so, I just have to take a bit of time and spray/deoxit all of them to get these normal. Massive bungle on their part, but do know you can bring them back to life, they just need TLC. Ask the googles for more info.
Awesome thank you both. I do have a can of deoxit on hand...I should make this happen.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:21 pm

I have no idea why they switched to those encoders on the keyboards. The ones on the desktop Evo work perfectly, always have. They should have offered a fix with those instead of switching to pots.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:38 pm

Offhand? I'd say those encoders became unavailable...

Angstwulf

Post by Angstwulf » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:10 pm

I would send an e-mail to Dave Smith Instruments.

I had the encoders on my MEK replaced this past summer. I went for the desktop style detented encoders instead of pots. I couldn't justify the expense and I kind of prefer encoders on preset machines anyway.

If I recall, the upgrade was not listed on the online store anymore. Their representative, Mark Kono, was very helpful and answered all my questions including some trouble shooting after I got it back. Works great now.

Cost was $50 instead of $200. I think the PEK encoder upgrade used to be $100. Hopefully they can still do it for you.