SixTrak

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

SixTrak

Post by megamanx » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:01 am

I am thinking that I need a new poly, is a sixtrak a good alternative to a juno 6, 60, they seem to go cheaper and have midi and as far as I know they have vco's inste TC Electronic Fireworxad of dco's but lack the knobs or sliders, but are mulitimbral, less keys but it has a nice sequencer. Opinions, suggestions, my current polys are a chroma polaris and a nord lead 2. I want to spend about 800 or less US dollars.
Last edited by megamanx on Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: six track

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:52 am

Well the SixTrak sounds nothing like a Juno for starters, it won't get that lush sound.

Multitimbrality is limited to monophonic (up to 6 parts).

You do get three EGs (one for VCO, VCF and VCA) per voice which expands the sound palette quite a bit and all parameters can be controlled by CC.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Re: SixTrak

Post by megamanx » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:14 am

fixed, But yeah lushness is a big deal, thanks for your imput

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:06 pm

I had one for a while, it sounded nice through a boss dimension c chorus, but was not as useful as a Juno, the resolution of the parameters wasn't precise enough so LFO rates/amounts and EG shapes could never be dialled in just right, and EG's were a bit slow on the attack too.

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Post by dustinh » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:39 pm

I miss my six trak. It can make some really interesting and colorful sounds, but as it has already been said, sounds nothing like a juno and the envelopes are rather sluggish, definitely not fast and punchy like the juno can get.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:01 pm

I had one for a short time - didn't like it at all. Compared to other SCI stuff, it felt watered down sonically. Compared to other stuff in general, it was just silly to program. Not very organic feeling or sounding. Definitely doesn't sound anything like the Roland stuff.

Virgule

Post by Virgule » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:04 am

I had a 6T twice and liked it for what it was but I also never mistook it for traditional polysynth. The Akai AX-60 might have improved on that concept using the same CEM voice chips, which were developped for arcade machines so it sounds like it too, but the SixTrak is multitibral with a nice LP filter to boot.

olopaine

Post by olopaine » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:45 pm

I'm am looking to buy a synthesizer, and so far the SCI Six-Trak looks like the best candidate. However, they tend to be quite rare on my side of the globe, and after duties and taxes the price comes up significantly. Also, I'm quite inexperienced with synthesizers, so I'd like to get opinions on possible alternatives - old or new - that I might be missing in the same or lower price range.

The main thing that draws me to the Six-Trak is the sounds that can be created by stacking the oscillators. I'm really impressed by the thick, layered sounds, and I have yet to come by anything similar in this price range. I like how it sounds in general as well and the ability to create effect-like sounds is a plus. Sonic flexibility is something that I am looking for as I don't have much gear (this would be my first reductive analog synth), but I have no need to imitate sounds of acoustic instruments. But in the end, I'd rather have a synth that does few things very well than one that is very flexible but mediocre.

I would like the sound to be easily tweakable in live situations, and via midi and an external controller the Six-Trak would have this covered. But a synth with its own knobs and more limited midi is a possibility too.

A monophonic synth is also a possibility, I just haven't found a cheap one that would sound as rich. But all things equal, I would pick a polyphonic one.

I'm aware of the modifications for SCI Multitrak and Max to add MIDI and stack mode/memory etc respectively and a Multitrak with the extra features would be nice, but I wouldn't dare to do the mods myself. And I guess finding these instruments would be at least as hard and pricey.

Any suggestions?

Music Bird
Gear: Casio/Yamaha and an iPad.

Post by Music Bird » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:33 pm

What kind of sound are you looking for. I only have Casios, but the Six Trak I heard on SynthMania.com has a good brass, bass, rezo lead synth, Golliwog Jr. (a funny synth preset) and a lot of unison synths. What other synths do you have that could go along with this?
Korg, Casio, Alesis, and Yamaha (Minilogue, WK-7600, SK-1, CT-X3000, SR-16, MX49)
FL Studio 12, VSTs, MIDI keyboard
Non synths include string, woodwind, percussion, and toys for SFX.

thermite zapruder
Gear: ARP 2600
EMU SSM Card Kit
Prophet 600
Evolver
ESQ-1
Juno 6
Alpha Juno 2
JV-1010
Crumar Performer
EMU e6400 ultra
MPC2000xl
SK-1
SK-5
Band: Thermite Zapruder

Post by thermite zapruder » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:14 pm

I had a Six Trak on loan for a while and played it quite a bit. I liked the sound and, though not as powerful as my Prophet 600 (which it was temporarily replacing) could do some things that synth could not: the envelopes, though this may be damning with faint praise, were a bit snappier (and could be inverted), and the LFO could run faster, among other things. Compared to the big, messy sound of the P 600, the Six Trak had a more precise character. And--big plus, especially for unison mode (and a mark in its favor over the Junos)--it has VCOs, so its six-voice monophonic stack has the sort of sonic richness you can't get from a DCO like the Junos. I love the Junos (I own a Juno 6) but DCOs and unison do not go well together.

The ability to assign a patch per voice is also a neat little feature that can inspire some fun things, especially when sequencing.

It's easy to program in terms of being able to wrap one's head around it--it has very basic analog subtractive architecture--but programming can be a bit tedious with one knob for all functions (you choose a parameter at a time, then use the knob to adjust it).

One could certainly do worse for an inexpensive first synth than this all analog poly with unison mode and a few neat tricks, BUT...it doesn't sound like a Juno really at all (for better or worse), and it's not as fun to program as a Juno. Bear in mind, also, that the Juno filter sound from this era is very distinct, so if that's what you're after, A Juno is really the way to get it. The Alpha Junos are significantly closer sonically and can be had for cheap, but they're not quite the same sound either.