Streichfett + Roland VK-8m, or Yamaha SK20?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Streichfett + Roland VK-8m, or Yamaha SK20?

Postby incircles » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:54 pm

I have the opportunity to buy a thoroughly tested and overhauled SK20 for under $600, or the Waldorf + VK-8m for around $700. Since I just bought a CS15D, I can't do both.

Obviously there's something about vintage sound that just can't be replicated, but I'm also concerned about SK20 reliability, especially in a live setting.

Which would be a wiser purchase? I'd be using whatever I got for a mostly acoustic psych-folk project as well as for psychedelic hip-hoppish stuff, going through an effects chain involving reverb, delay, leslie emulation, space echo, and red panda granular decay, though obviously not all at once.

Would the reliability and portability of the string and organ modules trump the SK20's extra bit of soul?
incircles

Re: Streichfett + Roland VK-8m, or Yamaha SK20?

Postby Sir Ruff » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:10 pm

Well, to start, $600 for an SK-20 in any condition is a total rip-off, so maybe just scratch that one off the list for now! Streichfett is definitely going to cover most of your string needs, and then some.
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby meatballfulton » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:45 pm

Not to mention that the VK8m sounds very close to a real Hammond organ and the SK20 does not, if that matters.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9

Postby incircles » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:16 pm

really? how much should a fully-functional sk20 go for? i love its sound. i've been watching streichfett videos and there's just something soulless about it in comparison. but if $600 (actually $575 with a hard case) is too much, then maybe i'll reconsider... it's not shipping until mid-february anyway.

as for realistic organs, a friend indefinitely loaned me his oberheim 3squared.
incircles

Postby commodorejohn » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:41 pm

There's an SK-20 on eBay right now for $400 w/hard case. Granted, it's in Japan and shipping would be obscene, but he doesn't need to know that - you might be able to talk him down. It definitely is a lovely sound; reminds me very much of my JX-10 in how classy it is.

Anyway, I wouldn't let price put you off too much if you really want something - if you don't care for the sound of the Streichfett, don't feel you need to buy one.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TG33, Korg MS-20 Mini/Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax, Casio CZ-5000, SCI Prophet-600

Postby Gianni » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:02 pm

The SK20 I'm currently using went for around $200 (I think) with case and in near perfect condition.

About the reliability, I never thought I'd use a 25+ year-old synth live again but we needed this kind of old stringer sound and this thing was surprisingly stable and resisted a lot of moving. Of course I wouldn't take it on a plane because it weighs a ton (was actually considering a Streichfett for that), but they are very well built in my experience.
Gianni

Postby wiss » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:15 am

The striechfett is a gerogous little number, I would not bother with 30 year old stringers at this point (minus the paraphonic, trident, solina).
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."
wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Postby incircles » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:51 pm

wiss wrote:The striechfett is a gerogous little number, I would not bother with 30 year old stringers at this point (minus the paraphonic, trident, solina).

You know, I keep GASing for it, then I watch a video and I'm reminded how harsh the highs seem to be. A side-by-side comparison of it versus a real stringer makes it sound thin and brittle, a little annoying really compared to the dreamy trippiness of that Clockwork Orange sound. Maybe a bit of EQ could temper it, though? And I do have a Russian Small Stone on the way...
incircles

Return to Buyer's Guide