Choosing a controller for Waldorf Pulse 2

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Choosing a controller for Waldorf Pulse 2

Postby SInvictus » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:50 am

I've decided (thanks to some help on VSE) to get the Waldorf Pulse 2, and now I need to get a controller for it. I've never dealt with MIDI or standalone keyboard controllers of any kind, and could use some advice.

I've done some research on MIDI keyboards, as this is what I believe to be my best (if not only option) as far as controllers go. The synth has MIDI, USB, and 1/4" I/O. Could any of these be used by a controller, or is MIDI the only option?

As far as MIDI keyboards go, from what I can tell, the considerations boil down to number of keys, number of knobs/sliders, and keyboard feedback. Since the controller is controlling a hardware synth and not a DAW or digital synth, how could I find out whether or not I can control synthesizer settings through the knobs and sliders on the controller? Similarly, how would I find out whether or not my synthesizer supports touch-sensitive input?

I could use some suggestions for controllers if anyone has any particular favorites. I could use a 25-49 keyboard, definitely under $200, but preferably closer to $100.

Thanks.
SInvictus

Re: Choosing a controller for Waldorf Pulse 2

Postby Big Gnome » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:39 am

SInvictus wrote:I've done some research on MIDI keyboards, as this is what I believe to be my best (if not only option) as far as controllers go. The synth has MIDI, USB, and 1/4" I/O. Could any of these be used by a controller, or is MIDI the only option?

The 1/4" jacks are strictly audio. USB is, obviously, for computer connectivity, and is essentially a bidirectional surrogate for traditional MIDI; don't know if two devices would recognize each other over USB, but I wouldn't bother--just buy yourself a couple of MIDI cables and Bob's your uncle.

how could I find out whether or not I can control synthesizer settings through the knobs and sliders on the controller? Similarly, how would I find out whether or not my synthesizer supports touch-sensitive input?

Any controller worth its salt will allow you to program its controls, at least insofar as CCs.

The Pulse 2 responds to velocity and aftertouch. You can download the manual from Waldorf's site, by the way.

I could use some suggestions for controllers if anyone has any particular favorites. I could use a 25-49 keyboard, definitely under $200, but preferably closer to $100.

I wish I could help, but I'm not real well versed with MIDI controllers. I use a CME UF50 which suits my modest needs, and I used to have an E-mu Xboard which was okay but kind of flimsy; both were fairly inexpensive.
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p
Big Gnome

Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Return to Buyer's Guide