Help a brother choose his first synth

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
nobdylstenstotekno

Help a brother choose his first synth

Post by nobdylstenstotekno » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:28 am

Hey Ladies and Gents,

FIrst time on vintagesynth so let me know if I'm being a noob and breaking any forum rules/missed an old thread that answers my questions.

I'm looking to purchase my first synth and need some quick recommendations. I've been looking at the Virus Ti 2 desktop, however i'm a little apprehensive due to the price tag attached to it. I'm after a poly synth that gives good results for bass and treble synths and allows me to get into complex sound design. I produce mainly techno, so I want to be able to make punchy, hard hitting bass and weird synths/sound effects. I like the idea of the MS20, but for just a little more cash I could get myself a poly synth that's more versatile and flexible.

Let me know your thoughts! :mrgreen:

Cheers

> Poly synth that can

Percivale
Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Re: Help a brother choose his first synth

Post by Percivale » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:00 am

How complex in sound design did you intend? I could think of KingKorg but is not really supported by Korg with any firmware/feature/sound pack updates. Least it is cheaper than a Ti2. I think you have many choices.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:13 am

I've had a whole lot of fun with my MS-20 Mini; I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, particularly if you want to experiment with interesting/weird sound design; the distinctive character of the filters and the possibilities afforded by the patch bay make it a good fit for that kind of thing. It does punchy bass pretty well too.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

nobdylstenstotekno

Post by nobdylstenstotekno » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:27 am

Percivale wrote: I think you have many choices.
I think the problem is I have too many choices. I guess my second question would be if I do get an MS20, what would be a good addition for the poly side of things to complement it for pads, chords and such?

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:31 am

In my opinion, if you buy a TI2 you will have your hands full.

While the Virus will not sound exactly like an MS20, it can do pretty much everything that the MS20 can.

So save your money.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

tdack
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW-MKII and anything analog or modular.
Band: drOHM. T.Dack.

Post by tdack » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:06 pm

I suggest an older Access Virus, B or C

I own the Access Virus B Indigo and holy s**t, it grumbles, has phat bass and can squeak like a mouse when I want it too. The filter is not the wettest of the Virus series. But it can touch frequencies other synths I have owned cannot, i.e. Korg MS2000/RADIAS.

PLUS!! They are much more affordable than the TI.

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:24 pm

Yup, get a Virus (k)C
Bang for the buck. You can always sell it again if it's not for you

Bunk

Post by Bunk » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:11 pm

I might be going out on a limb here and I don't know what prices are like where you are but have you considered an older board? There are some real gems out there on the secondhand market. Take the Korg Z1 for example. Tons of bang for your buck and several types of synthesis engine. If you want poly, go for the Z1, alternatively there is the monophonic Prophesy too.

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:57 am

Not trying to be facetious, but what do you mean by a treble synth?

I would warn you about spending a lot of money for your first synth, because no matter how hard you try, no synth will be everything you want it to be, at least that has been my experience.
For techno, perhaps some of the earlier Novation Nova, Supernova synths, and I've heard a lot of good things done with the Nord line of synthesizers.
I've listened lately to a lot of the new Nord Lead A1 synth and am very impressed in what I'm hearing.
Those are selling for I think $1799 brand new.
The Novation line you can pick up used on ebay or check out the Novation MiniNova.

There is a plethora of demos on YouTube, so if you get a chance, check them out.
I've recommended these because you suggested you were looking for poly synths. :)

Cheers

> Poly synth that can[/quote]
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

natrixgli
Gear: USB Hub, Pedalboard, Keyboard Stand, and many cables.
Band: Suboscillator

Post by natrixgli » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:13 am

I had a Virus TI, it's an amazing synth. It's a lot to wrap your head around but you can make it do pretty much anything. If it's your first and only synth then I highly recommend it. It will keep you busy for a good while and teach you a lot. You can really grow into a synth like that if you're patient and keep at it.

Good luck!

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:42 pm

The Virus TI1 might be a good option if you're considering the TI2, but are hesitant about the price.
nobdylstenstotekno wrote:
Percivale wrote: I think you have many choices.
I think the problem is I have too many choices. I guess my second question would be if I do get an MS20, what would be a good addition for the poly side of things to complement it for pads, chords and such?
If I were you, I would spend no more than a few hundred on a a rack sampler like an akai s series. Or go with a free software sampler like short circuit. Something like this will greatly enhance what you can do with the ms20, and will allow you to make splits and layers as complex and multifaceted as your imagination (or the sampler's memory) will allow.

It's a shame that the multisampling features of many od these machines are often overlooked as exciting forms of hybrid digital/analog synthesis. Having spent considerable time laboring over synths like the virus TI and ensoniq Fizmo, the sound synthesis options that say an Emu Ultra series opens up with its unique filters is right on Par. Think of it more like a prism refracting your ms20's output into a variety of unique polyphonic colors and textures that would he impossible to do on the synth itself, and tedious to set up as a multitrack project in your DAW. Imo, the quality and capability of a ms20 / rack sampler combo eclipses a workhorse Va polysynth, unless you're really after the specific sound of that synth in particular. The downside is handling sample storage, and being limited to the ms20's keyboard if you're playing and not sequencing your patches (provided the ms20's keyboard sends midi. But, if you want to play something live and have a midi keyboard, or don't mind sticking to software sequencers, the short circuit route is free, and you can store everything on your computer!
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

nobdylstenstotekno

Post by nobdylstenstotekno » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:54 pm

Hey guys, thanks for all your responses. I've taken all your advice into consideration and gone with the ti 2. If all else fails ill be able to make most of my money back selling the synth and move on to something else. I have no doubt buying synths and audio hardware will become extremely addictive and set me up for a life of near bankruptcy.

Thanks!

nobdylstenstotekno

Post by nobdylstenstotekno » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:00 pm

seamonkey wrote:Not trying to be facetious, but what do you mean by a treble synth?
[/quote]

That was a typo. I meant bass and treble sounds.