Synth prices going up

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Mattrashcroft
Gear: Korg Volca Beats
Korg Volca Bass
Korg Monotron
Korg NanoPad 2
Casio VL-Tone
Yamaha PSR-e403
Yamaha PSS-140
iPad Air
Macbook Pro
Band: Matthew R. Ashcroft

Synth prices going up

Post by Mattrashcroft » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:40 pm

Took a look on the main site and saw a lot of people boasting about finding drum machines like the TR626 and 505 for under £100. I've just been outbid on an £80 626, and now all the other ones have gone up to £200>

Have these gotten more expensive for a reason? Or is ebay just a horrible place to look?
Thinking of giving up music

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Synth prices going up

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:05 pm

There is a phenomenon when better known and more desirable gear gets priced out of reach, lesser gear starts going up in value.

Anyone who pays over $100 for a TR505 has lost their mind. eBay is a place where prices only seem to go up no matter whether or not the item warrants it.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Mattrashcroft
Korg Volca Bass
Korg Monotron
Korg NanoPad 2
Casio VL-Tone
Yamaha PSR-e403
Yamaha PSS-140
iPad Air
Macbook Pro

Post by Mattrashcroft » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:19 pm

meatballfulton wrote:There is a phenomenon when better known and more desirable gear gets priced out of reach, lesser gear starts going up in value.

Anyone who pays over $100 for a TR505 has lost their mind. eBay is a place where prices only seem to go up no matter whether or not the item warrants it.
I guess the problem is now that gear is out of reach for me. Part of me is considering selling my other synths and moving on because making music seems too cost prohibitive. I can only find 505s for £110 and beyond on there, never mind a 626. Not sure where I'd go from there but it's stressing me out

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:58 pm

Mattrashcroft wrote:I guess the problem is now that gear is out of reach for me.
"Out of reach" is always relative.

I didn't own my first synthesizer until I was almost 35 years old because I literally could not afford one until then. The price of my first synth, a used Casio CZ5000, was a whopping $450. I actually got the seller (a friend) to agree to give it to me for $100 and I made regular payments to him until it was paid off (I was making $30 a week playing bass in a band at the time).

At the time any item that cost over $50 required a plan to save up for it, it was last on the list after feeding and housing my family. Synth gear is cheaper than ever today, but for those of us on tight budgets even $100 can still be expensive.

To anyone cash strapped who wants to do electronic music, my suggestion is to stay with software. Assuming you own the computer you are posting from, the cost is $0.00. You can get free DAWs and softsynths, you do not need an audio interface if you are working 100% in the box and most DAWs let you use the computer's keyboard to act as a simple keyboard.

It's funny how times have changed, at the time I got that CZ a personal computer cost over $1000 (twice the price of the synth) and in those days there was no digital audio recording possible, just MIDI sequencing and patch/sample editors. It wasn't until the mid 1990s that I could even afford to buy a brand new computer (My first three were used). I stuck with hardware sequencers and standalone recorders (tape at first, later digital) until 2010 :shock: because they were still cheaper than a dedicated computer to run a DAW.

Too bad you weren't looking for that 505 a few years ago when I sold mine for $50 :?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:50 am

Don't give up! Sometimes it takes a while to find a reasonable one on ebay. And also don't forget to check the completed listings. There might be a few on there that are overpriced and just keep getting relisted! I would post in the gear wanted section here as well, and see if anyone offers you one at a reasonable price.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:15 am

Also, keep a sharp on your local Craigslist and used instrument shops, and don't be afraid to post want ads either. You'll hear from a lot of people who've been on eBay and come away with the notion that their "100 sounds! 100 rhythms! 100 songs! Zero quality!" c**p keyboards are worth $300, but you might also find someone with genuinely decent gear who doesn't want to go to the bother of online auctions to get rid of it.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Mattrashcroft
Korg Volca Bass
Korg Monotron
Korg NanoPad 2
Casio VL-Tone
Yamaha PSR-e403
Yamaha PSS-140
iPad Air
Macbook Pro

Post by Mattrashcroft » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:17 am

I think the problem I have with software synths is that everyone seems to frown on them. Once someone got quite annoyed at me using them and it kind of messed me up so I started using hardware. In addition, I find some hardware is more flexible, especially for live performing.

I'll keep having a look. I felt quite horrible after missing out on the 626, hopefully I can just sleep it off and I won't feel as bad. Not too hopeful about finding another below £100 though, the next cheapest is £140 :cry:

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:32 am

Point out to 'everyone' that frowns on softsynths, that many many bands seem to do just fine using them. Having a good controller is important.

max badwan
Gear: T1, XV 5080, ES1, Zaquencer

Post by max badwan » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:43 am

You can do good things with GarageBand on your MacBook Pro - and if you upgrade to Logic, you can load the project(s) in Logic.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:01 am

Mattrashcroft wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:There is a phenomenon when better known and more desirable gear gets priced out of reach, lesser gear starts going up in value.

I guess the problem is now that gear is out of reach for me. Part of me is considering selling my other synths and moving on because making music seems too cost prohibitive. I can only find 505s for £110 and beyond on there, never mind a 626. Not sure where I'd go from there but it's stressing me out
Why would you want a 505 or a 626 anyway? You have a Volca Beats, that's a much better drum machine. If you really want a crappy limited PCM based machine like those rolands then have a look at the Alesis SR-16. They sold about a billion of them over a period of about 20 years so there's always a lot of them out there on the market and the cost is always low.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:03 am

I can understand - they gave a cool sound, especially if you want to sound like Mijk van Dijk... Not to say you shouldn't check out an sr-16! (No one suggest the akai rythm cat? :P )
Mattrashcroft wrote:I think the problem I have with software synths is that everyone seems to frown on them. Once someone got quite annoyed at me using them and it kind of messed me up so I started using hardware. In addition, I find some hardware is more flexible, especially for live performing.

I'll keep having a look. I felt quite horrible after missing out on the 626, hopefully I can just sleep it off and I won't feel as bad. Not too hopeful about finding another below £100 though, the next cheapest is £140 :cry:
If someone gets annoyed at my use of soft synths they can suck my groin. But seriously, even on this vintage synth forum, we love software. I used a preset from NI's massive in one of my songs, and it's perfect. It makes the song, and you would never know it wasn't one of my synths. Half of the songs in that group I loosely refer to as an album were done on Maschine. Many, many professional musicians use software, and it's probably more rare to find musicians who don't, so don't let some a*s clown talk you into thinking your a poser for composing within the box. Use your ears, and go with what works. If you want to pick up some hardware, do it from a positive standpoint of exploration. If you do it for any other reason, you could end up being pretty disappointed. Your tracks will sound more or less the same, and your patches will all sound like you programmed them no matter what you use, and your mixes will always sound like your mixes! There no shortcut, or fairy dust. Take it from me, I have a 303.

Beyond that, the number one thing is this: the only way someone else will like your songs is if you love your songs. You have to make music that you would want to hear, that you can enjoy listening to, and that fulfills exactly what you're imagining it should sound like. There are other people who share your taste, and those are the people you're writing for. The only way to write for them is to rely on your inner barometer. That means owning your creative decisions. The most important thing is owning why you're using something, and daring to use the instrument because it's right for your project, no matter what someone else's opinion of it is. Or if it's damn good fun - that's even better. In fact, the next time someone questions you, that's the only reason you need to give. h**l, it works with everything: "How come that synth has bat wings? It's damn good fun." Why did you filter those drums and layer them with distortion? It's damn good fun.. how come you're not wearing pants, damn goof fun, etc etc. Any way, look at my gear list. Could you immagine Stabfrenzy wanting or using any of it? Probably not. He's doing his thing, I'm doing my thing, et voila. It's like that with software. A real critic who's in your corner will respect your instrument choice and try to give you feedback that will help you regardless of whether you're goals and methods are aligned with their own. In fact, they should try to see those, and give you feedback in light of them. Blanket criticism because you used the wrong type of instrument that isn't up to their standard is just sour grapes. You probably wrote something that made them jealous, and they were leveling. Keep it up!
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Mattrashcroft
Korg Volca Bass
Korg Monotron
Korg NanoPad 2
Casio VL-Tone
Yamaha PSR-e403
Yamaha PSS-140
iPad Air
Macbook Pro

Post by Mattrashcroft » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:21 pm

Cheers for the replies everyone. I'll keep looking for something. Glad to see softsynths aren't the end of the world.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:49 pm

Do not follow the crowd, always go with what you like the sound of.
The TR name is not synonymous with good.
While I don't like using software myself, There is nothing wrong with it, just a style preference. Whoever frowed upon you is an idiot. Lose them and work out what you like about Software and hardware and intergrate the two.
Also do not bid on any more TR's. ;)

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:30 pm

Exactly. Go with what you want, anyone else's judgement is irrelevant to your joy and your music. And especially your energy levels!

What is it that attracts you to the TR-505 and TR-626? If it's the pattern sequencing and grid editing, Cubase (among others) can do that, and do it better.

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:24 pm

I recently happily rid myself of a TR 505 for $60. I had purchased it for less than $40 on ebay not long before. If that is what you really want, hold out. You'll find one reasonably priced eventually.

The 505 and 626 are unexciting. Their best attribute is grid programming, which was mentioned above. The sounds are forgettable. A much cheaper option in the same vein as the 505 and 626 is the Yamaha RX17. You get full drum kit and Latin percussion in one book sized spaceship like black wedge. It has less features than the 626, but is much cheaper. None of the sounds of the 505 or 626 are distinct, unlike maybe the 707 or 727 which were used so much in certain styles that their awful sound has become synonymous with those styles. Almost no one listening to your tracks would think you hip for using a 505 or 626. They're more likely to think that your drum machine sounds terrible, and not in a good ironic way.

I would agree that synth prices seem to be going up whenever I'm in the market to buy (but going down when I want to sell).