Synth prices going up

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Synth prices going up

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:17 pm

Agreeing with micahjonhughes, the 505/626 are not magic boxes. The SR16 Stab mentioned blows them away...there's a reason Alesis kept making them for 20 years.

The only reason I bought a 505 was it was the best thing I could afford ($75) at the time (1990). As soon as I got a digital synth with superior drum sounds, I stopped using it altogether.

And never apologize for using softsynths.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Mattrashcroft
Gear: Korg Volca Beats
Korg Volca Bass
Korg Monotron
Korg NanoPad 2
Casio VL-Tone
Yamaha PSR-e403
Yamaha PSS-140
iPad Air
Macbook Pro
Band: Matthew R. Ashcroft

Post by Mattrashcroft » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:59 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Agreeing with micahjonhughes, the 505/626 are not magic boxes. The SR16 Stab mentioned blows them away...there's a reason Alesis kept making them for 20 years.

The only reason I bought a 505 was it was the best thing I could afford ($75) at the time (1990). As soon as I got a digital synth with superior drum sounds, I stopped using it altogether.

And never apologize for using softsynths.
Sounds like I dodged a bullet with that 626 aha! Cheers for the support on the softsynths too.

As for other drum machines, I've put together a list of different ones that people seem to like. So far I have the Korg DDD-1, some of the Boss Dr. Rhythm ones and then some Alesis ones. I'll probably add some more if i can't find them or look at the Arturia Beatstep. Cheers all!
Thinking of giving up music

Mattrashcroft
Korg Volca Bass
Korg Monotron
Korg NanoPad 2
Casio VL-Tone
Yamaha PSR-e403
Yamaha PSS-140
iPad Air
Macbook Pro

Post by Mattrashcroft » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:25 pm

Went for a DDD-1 at £60. In last ten seconds it leaped to £140. D'oh.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:16 pm

Those are all sample based drum machines. You could just get the samples and load them into your favourite sampler and use Volca to trigger them.

sigment
Gear: MACHINEDRUM, SH-101, MINILOGUE, STREICHFETT, MPC1000, BSII, MINIAK, MS2000R, VOLCA-B, GEKKAN, XE-8, RX-21 + TOYS
Band: SLAVESTAR

Post by sigment » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:04 pm

Mattrashcroft wrote: Sounds like I dodged a bullet with that 626 aha! Cheers for the support on the softsynths too.

As for other drum machines, I've put together a list of different ones that people seem to like. So far I have the Korg DDD-1, some of the Boss Dr. Rhythm ones and then some Alesis ones. I'll probably add some more if i can't find them or look at the Arturia Beatstep. Cheers all!
I was in the same boat. I think I checked out every drum machine ever made over a 6 month period. Ridiculous prices pushed me away from some and availability from others (I'm looking at you clavia ddrum rack modular). In the end, I wanted certain drum machines for their snare (ddd-1) or kick or hats or disco toms. I even looked at the feasibility of piecing together a eurorack setup just for drums.

In the end, I just sat down with the machines I had, and a collection samples scoured from the internet, and even vsts, and spent time programming several kits for use on my mpc1000 (6 outs and easy to use sequencer).

Kids drive up the demand for shitty machines because they are cheap, and then the prices go up (supply and demand 101). Next thing you know - "man, the 505 has got to be bangin', they are selling for over $xxx on ebay!"

Also, don't look for stuff "other people seem to like" find a box that you want and that will fit your needs.

:dancer: :dancer: :dancer:

rockmanrock

Post by rockmanrock » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:57 pm

I've got a 626, it's alright but I barely use it. Most of these old sample based drum machines (and even analogue ones) can be 'done' very well with a Korg ES1 - the old sampler Electribe, or the bigger ESX. They've got the x0x interface and plenty of hands on control.

Check out this guy https://www.youtube.com/user/harlemnigh ... =electribe

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:07 pm

madtheory wrote:Those are all sample based drum machines. You could just get the samples and load them into your favourite sampler and use Volca to trigger them.
Or better yet, get the Volca Sample! I got one recently and loaded it up with about ten sets of vintage drum machine samples. My TR-606 has been collecting dust since.

Mattrashcroft
Korg Volca Bass
Korg Monotron
Korg NanoPad 2
Casio VL-Tone
Yamaha PSR-e403
Yamaha PSS-140
iPad Air
Macbook Pro

Post by Mattrashcroft » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:01 pm

Re-Member wrote:
madtheory wrote:Those are all sample based drum machines. You could just get the samples and load them into your favourite sampler and use Volca to trigger them.
Or better yet, get the Volca Sample! I got one recently and loaded it up with about ten sets of vintage drum machine samples. My TR-606 has been collecting dust since.
That's probably a good idea actually. I just wish it did MIDI Out

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:18 pm

Mattrashcroft wrote:
Re-Member wrote:
That's probably a good idea actually. I just wish it did MIDI Out
Oh LOL, didn't think of that. Cubase so!

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:22 pm

Mattrashcroft wrote:That's probably a good idea actually. I just wish it did MIDI Out
It might be possible. There's a mod kit that works with the first three Volcas, though I can't seem to find any info of it being compatible with the Sample version:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2014/ ... ca-synths/

The Sample version operates on ten different MIDI channels, so even if it did work, it might be a little complicated to use with other gear unless you have a MIDI host program that lets you remap the channels.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:19 pm

I've had a 505... It's pretty terrible.
soundcloud.com/vectron

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:22 pm

Yep, shittiest sounds ever.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:13 pm

madtheory wrote:Yep, shittiest sounds ever.
You just haven't heard enough drum machines yet :drums:

Funny how perspectives change, eh?

When it was introduced in 1996 it was a breakthrough in features (no more buying a second machine for "Latin percussion", good MIDI support) and price. A buddy of mine called it "Santana in a box" ;) It sounded pretty good back then.

By 1990 it had been outclassed by any number of machines (not to mention better drum samples showing up in ROMplers). Then people started getting nostalgic for synthetic drum sounds.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:02 pm

All drum machines are good drum machines 8-)

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:32 pm

Ya the MIDI was very good, it supported song position pointers. At the time I bought it I had just missed out on a TR-707 which has equally good MIDI, onboard mixer, better sounds and a bigger grid display. The biggest problem with the 505 is that it takes severe eq to even begin to tart up the sound. The 707, though cheesy sounding, was more flexible in that regard.

My weighted keyboard is my drum machine :)