Synth prices going up

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Re: Synth prices going up

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:18 pm

pflosi wrote:All drum machines are good drum machines 8-)
+1
You can do so much more than drums one a sampler, it's almost a waste, especially considering drum machines are so fun to use. Sampled drums also give the illusion that drum sounds are all relatively on the same level, but it's a different story when you have the machines next to each other. You also write differently on a machine depending on its features than you would with your sampler. Whenever I write 808 rythms in NI maschine with my samples and then go to take recordings later, I always find that they end up being completely different on the 808 itself, sometimes just due to the way it hedges your work flow! And it's like that with the other's too.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:17 pm

ninja6485 wrote:You can do so much more than drums one a sampler, it's almost a waste
It's nowhere near "a waste". If it's a sound, it should be sampled. That's what samplers are for.
ninja6485 wrote:especially considering drum machines are so fun to use. You also write differently on a machine depending on its features than you would with your sampler.
Well that's true. But how many grid based pattern sequencers does one need? Do we always need to be directed by the gear? When I've an idea in my head, I want to quickest path to realising it. So I prefer to play it on a keyboard, rather than work out where the notes are supposed to be on the grid. Actually taking the TR-505 and SR-16 as examples (seeing as they were talked about a lot) the 505 grid is done better in Cubase, and the SR-16 sequencer is a piece of obstructive shite compared to a set of pads and a DAW sequencer. (I think Steinberg nicked the grid from Roland, who got it from the Fairlight) Also chaining "patterns" into "songs" can be an awfully rigid, square overly conventional way to structure a piece. On the other hand, choosing patterns on the fly is great- but Ableton takes that to a whole new level, totally shitting on any drum machine I've ever used.
ninja6485 wrote:Sampled drums also give the illusion that drum sounds are all relatively on the same level, but it's a different story when you have the machines next to each other.
Isn't that a good thing? The sampler levels the playing field, it removes bias towards this pretty box or that pretty box. They're all just sounds, and considered only on their sonic merit. No fetishizing of "old skool analouge" vintage whatever.
Last edited by madtheory on Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gmeredith
Band: Warning Will Robinson

Post by gmeredith » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:49 pm

And you can get all of the TR series drum samples for free on line anywhere and load them up into it - my sampler has them all
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, SK60, RAP10, DP1 drums, DH100, CDP200, DM100
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10, DTXv2
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol, ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & card reader, BCR2000, V-Machine

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:26 pm

You know what I used my TR-505 for? Circuit bending. Sounds a h**l of a lot better than it did when I bought it.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

princefan3

Post by princefan3 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:53 pm

OP put synth prices going up...You might be missing the point that the TR505 and the TR family will only go up more in value than say a Korg Electribe and others because people love Roland Gear.

As in Ferrari having not won much for years apart from today..he he...but will still love the history.

If it comes in the Original box immaculate then it's also an investment in my eyes.

The fact that a 505 can be played in real time is a major like.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:16 pm

Let's wait 25 years and see how much Electribes cost then.

Prices for the TR-505 have been very stable because it's the least desirable of the TR series. I recall them being about $300 brand new, I bought mine for $75 used sometime around 1990. 25 years later they're selling for about the same.

Don't take the 505 trash talk too personal, if you like or love yours that's all that matters. I loved mine when I got it, too.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

princefan3

Post by princefan3 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:21 pm

Yeah Meatball I like the 505 and I will be getting another just to show everyone how upset I am.. :ugeek: :lol:

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:36 am

But 75$ in 1990 are 130$ in 2015 :mrgreen:

Daniele Spadavecchia

Post by Daniele Spadavecchia » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:07 pm

To me the joy of buying used gear is about finding bargains.
The vintage thing is always an over inflated market due to popularity.
I do love machines better than computers for one simple reason:
-machines are designed with specific functions in mind and some of them make your work very fun and easy
-computers are jack of all trades, and I have used computers since 1985 (Commodore 64 ;) ), I have loved Apples and believed in the hype about Logic Pro streamlined workflow, but I find them too dispersive and detached
-the only DAW I ever loved was Cakewalk in the 90's because it had human quantize and the grooves you could create with it were amazing!

If you like the sound of an old machine and it is cheap and in working order, buy it!
You can always sell it back again.:mrgreen: Could you do the same with intangible software, without considering that in 6 months there will be another update, making it old?!!! :twisted: :evil: