Would you get a Moog Rogue or a Prodigy?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Would you get a Moog Rogue or a Prodigy?

Postby WhinyLittleRunt » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:16 pm

I want to get another inexpensive Moog to play with and I had originally been eyeballing the Prodigy but I started thinking again about the Rogue and the MG-1... I used to own the latter and regret selling it even to this day, but I loved that thing. Now I wonder if I should look into re-buying one or jump to a Rogue for the performance controls and better interface options?

The Prodigy came with decent ins and outs also if it was a mk2, and I do like knobs better than sliders, but at the end of the day there is still a good enough price difference between the two on the used market. I feel like everything I'd use it for I can do on the Rogue... Anyone have an opinion of the difference in sound between the two or anything else? I will honestly say that having owned an MG-1 already I didn't like the RCA audio outputs and lack of wheels and never used the poly mode, but other than that it was sick as a lead and bass synth for my taste.
sequential circuits prophet t8 | oberheim ob-8 | moog minimoog model d | moog opus 3 | yamaha s90es | yamaha cp30 | arp omni-2 | linndrum | roland cr8000 | korg kr55 | simmons sdsv | 82 rhodes mark II stage | wurlitzer 200a | hammond m100
WhinyLittleRunt

Re: Would you get a Moog Rogue or a Prodigy?

Postby WhinyLittleRunt » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:56 am

Nevermind - bought the Prodigy :)
sequential circuits prophet t8 | oberheim ob-8 | moog minimoog model d | moog opus 3 | yamaha s90es | yamaha cp30 | arp omni-2 | linndrum | roland cr8000 | korg kr55 | simmons sdsv | 82 rhodes mark II stage | wurlitzer 200a | hammond m100
WhinyLittleRunt

Re: Would you get a Moog Rogue or a Prodigy?

Postby Jabberwalky » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:55 pm

After having owned both, I'd actually go with an MG1 again. The sound wasn't as heavy as the Prodigy, but the other features made it far more versatile. I had installed 1/4" outputs on mine, along with a couple really simple mods.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Eps16 | An1x | Minikorg700s | Monologue | Maxikorg | Bs2 | Ultranova | Dw8k | Poly61 | Paia9700s | Circuit | PreenFM2
Band: VARIAR

Return to Buyer's Guide