Arp Odyssey

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Arp Odyssey

Post by tomorrowstops » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:15 am

One of the classics I've yet to put my hands and ears on is an ARP Odyssey.

I totally dig the tonality and vibe that I'm getting from my half-working Solus, but I'm kinda debating whether to put more $$ into fixing it, or selling it as is and picking up an Odyssey. The Solus is obviously a much simpler machine, thus fairly limited at what it can produce in terms of sounds. I'd say it excels more as a lead or bass instrument, not so much FX. I find my self yearning for things like; choice of LFO waveform, oscillator mix controls, and noise.

At the moment, this conversation is not about the KARP vs Original, its just about the concept of the Odyssey in general. I'd just like to hear some love stories from folks who have had great experiences with theirs!

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Arp Odyssey

Post by tomorrowstops » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:24 pm

Can anyone point me to some audio examples of the softer side of the Odyssey? Does it exist?

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:45 pm

I have a suggestion, how about trying out a demo of G Force Media's VST version of the Odyssey called the Oddity 2.
Oddity 2 is the latest upgrade from the original Oddity and it sounds absolutely wonderful.
I've had the original Oddity since it was first released and I love it.
It's a excellent reproduction of the Odyssey.

You can download a trial version of it to see how you like working with it.
The Odyssey is capable of really any texture you want, soft and mellow leads, aggressive leads and basses, sounds full of bubbling ooze breaking into millions of shards of anti-matter to complete a science fiction soundtrack. ;)

Here's a link with it's description and audio demos, and yes some of the demos show the softer side in my opinion.
I have some patches I created on Oddity that I would consider soft, but I'm too lazy to made a demo right now.
My Korg Odyssey arrived Friday and I still haven't had time to play around with it.

Hope this helps.
I really think downloading the demo will give you the feel of what it's like to play and build a patch on the real Odyssey.

http://www.gforcesoftware.com/products/oddity2/demos
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:48 pm

ah ha! excellent suggestion. Thanks seamonkey!

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:44 pm

tomorrowstops wrote:Can anyone point me to some audio examples of the softer side of the Odyssey? Does it exist?
With a bit of reverb, the Odyssey can sound very nice when it is "singing." Listen to this example. The Odyssey kicks in at 0:13:

That's also on Odyssey at the beginning and throughout this track:

The Odyssey is great for soloing. Check out the Odyssey solo beginning at 4:36:

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:24 pm

Wow, this really isn't that bad for a plugin. I've got Oddity and the Solus up next to each other, just playing around, matching some sounds. Solus still has the vintage tonality edge of course. But anyways, treating the Oddity as an Odyssey function-wise, it definitely gets me closer to wanting an actual Odyssey. Its things like the ability to mix out the oscillators and play just the filter resonance, the S+H functions, expanded FM functions, and noise generator that have me seriously tempted. The Solus doesn't have any of those capabilities.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:58 pm

Thanks for those examples, Analogkid. The 'singing' line is a great sound! I also dig the wacky lead in that last tune.

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:34 pm

Glad the Oddity demo is helping you with your decision.
I've loved mine through the years, and yes I agree, for software emulation it can come darn close to the original.
Dave Spiers, the creator and owner of G Force is one of those classic analog aficionados who has owned or still owns a ton of original analog synths and has worked with them since they were first released.
He knows analog synths and makes some of the best, including M Tron Pro.

Nice Odyssey demos. :D
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:39 pm

Does anyone know if the Solus is equipped with the same 4075 filter thats found in the MKIII Oddys?

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:27 pm

Yeah looking at the service manual it appears they do. I've recently finished a cloned 4075 (with appropriate resistors) and I think it sounds fantastic. Don't know what the earlier ones were like though.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:11 pm

Cool. I really have no complaints about it on the Solus. I'm curious though; it says on here its widely known that theres a bandwidth error on that filter - is that something that at the time of the MKIII's release was talked about? Or is that just something we've learned over the years since?

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:57 am

Really couldn't say. I did notice however that in the Solus' service manual at least the offending resistors are the right value. This site says the Solus went into production in 1980 a year before ARP's bankruptcy. The Mk III odyssey was still being produced during that last year so I imagine the problem was spotted relatively early.

To be fair, some people say it isn't that big of a deal but I disagree: significantly improved the sound of the filter IMO.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:43 am

Interesting. I knew the Solus came after, so I was wondering if they fixed it. Either way, I'm shooting for a MKIII. I'd prefer the aesthetic of a MKII, but not enough to spend more $$.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:08 pm

I'm sure most of you have seen this, but I just started it myself - AWESOME!

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:14 pm

Well, I found a new home for the Solus. Its kind of sad to see it go, but that particular board was so finicky. My tech had never seen anything as hacked up as that one had been.

Anyways, the $$ from that sale will hopefully help procure an Odyssey.

In theory this will be my one and only synth for the production of the album I just working on.