Arp Odyssey

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Re: Arp Odyssey

Post by Zamise » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:23 pm

If it helps any:

http://quantum-source.com/Sounds/arpodII2813.zip

I put the sounds together a while ago, don't remember whats in it exactly but it is from my mkII 2813 4075?? filter if I remember right.

Story behind mine is I got it at used gear shop for $300.00 in Boulder Co., about 10 years ago, because they thought all it did was make high pitched screechy sounds. It was and still looks pretty beat up, however it is still 99.5% functional. There is a little click as the envelope or something resets or loops sometimes, and the added PPC is a bit goofy, sometimes works sometimes doesn't, that's all.

I've tried a while ago to get good examples of the dif filters to listen to, to see/hear how dif they really are soncially from each other, but I've not had much luck with anyone else volunteering clean samples of their Oddys and verify their filters. Idea was to see if it was possible to hear the difference so one would not have to take apart and see the filter before paying more for one that might be a misrepresented as illegal/legal Moog or any other rare or special filter. They can be fairly easily removed and replaced. I'd ask for pictures of the filter if that is what they are representing, and double check that is what you get if you do get one.

Best of luck if you get one!
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

staccato

Post by staccato » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:19 pm

Hi, just FYI, the Odyssey has no LFO waveform choice either (aside from sq wave to vco1). VCO1, in LF mode, can be used for square and sawtooth LFO waves, and is free run, but it will need to be routed to the S/H mixer to apply it to other sections. A bit of a limited implementation compared to the ARP2600, which uses direct internal routing of the VCO's in LF mode.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:12 pm

Yesterday, I finally scored a vintage Odyssey! Its a whiteface MKI 2800. Its got over 30 hours of restoration work under the hood, including the installation of NEA's aftertouch module:

Keyboard bus bars replaced
Rubber key bushings replaced
Power supply replaced with new Power One linear PSU
Old power chord replaced
All sliders removed , cleaned, polished, rebuilt. All bad carbon traces replaced.
All polarized capacitors replaced
All op amps and CMOS 4011 ICs replaced
Both VCOs completely rebuilt
Decoupling capacitors added to eliminate bleed from VCOs and S&H mixer on oscillator boards
Unit tuned and calibrated
Aftertouch sensor added to keybed
Aftertouch electronics added to panel
Switch routing Aftertouch LFO to S&H clock installed
ADSR and LFO single/multi-trigger mod added.
External audio input to the filter

Aftertouch can be routed to VCO1, VCO2,VCF, and VCA using front panel controls. Aftertouch mod also has its own triangle and square LFO .The switch added to the left of the keyboard allows the sample and hold clock speed to be modulated by Aftertouch. There is also a single/ dual trigger switch installed above the noise generator for the ADSR envelope which disables the re-triggerring of the LFO(LFO free run).

Should be here middle of next week! Can't wait! :mrgreen:

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:19 pm

That's just beautiful.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:52 pm

I've never considered myself a fan of the white face, but I gotta agree this one is pretty beautiful

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:43 pm

I had a whiteface...it's the best looking IMHO
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:06 pm

Alright, so its been an interesting few days.

I received the Oddy on Tuesday. Played with it a bunch. Keyboard scaling of pitch left a lot to be desired, and anything related to tuning was a pain in the a*s. Just touching (not moving) the coarse sliders and transpose switch resulted in warbling and alteration of pitch. As you can see in the service list above, this thing was serviced to the nines, yet still was less than rock solid. Obviously MKI's tend to be touchy instruments regardless of what you do to them. You know what though? Too touchy for me. I sent it back (seller was totally awesome about it, refunded me before it left my house and even paid for return shipping!)

Its funny, I had the studio's Sub 37 here for a few days before the Oddy arrived, as we have a production project that needs some synth FX sounds. I messed around with a bunch and while it was super capable, I was just scoffing at it the whole time ('can't wait to get the Oddy in, now thats a real synth') Thankfully I recorded all my noodlings. I went back and listened after I made the decision to return the Odyssey, and you know what? Wow, the Sub 37 sounds great. Fantastic actually. I just have to shake my head and chuckle at myself.

Its time I took 'vintage' down off the pedestal.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:36 pm

True the Mk. 1 VCOs are a lot more erratic than later versions but mine stays reasonably in tune (even though tracking tends to be a bit poor across the entire switchable range when using the Transpose lever).

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/