Oberheim matrix 6R questions

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
slipstream5
Gear: Yamaha Motif Rack ES
Volca Keys
Soft synths and plugins

Oberheim matrix 6R questions

Post by slipstream5 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:44 am

Hi!

I'm thinking about purchasing my first Analog synth. (Apart from the Volca Keys!) I have limited budget and am hoping to win an Ebay auction on a Oberheim matrix 6R. I have only started to read the manual online, but based on comments, I hear that it can be tricky to program the matrix portion of it with any external software or midi editors? Is the programming as tedious as say the Yamaha motif rack ES - or anything similar?

Does the matrix 6R respond to any CC messages or only SYSEX? Does it respond well to most controllers such as maudio keystation pro? Also, this might be a quite a silly question but I was wondering if the rack module generates any heat or perhaps fan noise that I should be aware of...

I would love to experience the Obx or Obxa or the even the matrix12 one day but they are all out of reach for me. The Prophet 600 looked like an interesting synth but still too much for me (Still 2 days to go on Ebay and I'm guessing it will reach the 700US mark and then its more with the US exchange for me).

Thanks in advance!

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Oberheim matrix 6R questions

Post by Ashe37 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:03 pm

Sysex. IIRC it predates the standardization of many CCs. There are plugins for programming it but be aware that tweaking it too fast can lock it up... the poor lil 6809 can only handle so much.

rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rschnier » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:45 am

It has no fan and is silent during operation. Mine doesn't seem to produce much heat; it has ventilation slots on the top/sides of its rack case. I've had it mounted in between two other rack modules and didn't have any problems, but it's never a bad idea to leave one rack space between your units for extra ventilation if you have the space to spare.
-- R.

slipstream5
Gear: Yamaha Motif Rack ES
Volca Keys
Soft synths and plugins

Post by slipstream5 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:07 am

Things didn't trun out on the matrix 6R and also I started to have doubts as I am worried that I will be comparing it to the OBx or OBxa or some other earlier synths and not be completely happy. Also I don't know if I want to have a headache trying to program patches. I have yet to explore all the capabilities of the Yamaha motif ES rack and I think I want something that is more hands on...I will be asking some more questions on this forum before I make my choice.

Thankyou Ashe37 and rschnier for your help!