Nord Modular G2 worth the money or is G1 good enough?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
jaystainbrook

Nord Modular G2 worth the money or is G1 good enough?

Post by jaystainbrook » Fri May 15, 2015 11:52 pm

I'm in the market for a Clavia Nord Modular G2. They don't seem come up for sale too often these days so I've been tempted a lot to buy a G1 or even a Micromodular.

My question is, how much am I missing if I get a G1 instead of a G2? A quick search of completed auctions on ebay makes me think the G2 keys are going for a little over $2000 US these days, while the G1s are in the $500 range. Is the G2 4X better? could I spend 1/4 as much and get almost as much synth?

Any input appreciated.

edfunction
Gear: sh-101, monomachine, nordmodular, esx1, nova, jx3p, jx8p, prophet vs, dx200

Re: Nord Modular G2 worth the money or is G1 good enough?

Post by edfunction » Sat May 16, 2015 1:34 pm

I use the G1 modular a lot and can say that for the price it's a fantastic synth (probably my desert island synth). I would love to have a G2 but they are always too expensive.
What I am missing in the G1 is:
- Midi out (for sequencers etc)
- Delay fx
- Snapshots
- cool randomize patch feature
- easy fm

That said there's so much that you can do with the G1 that it doesn't really matter. It has a very nice sound (supposedly better than G2).
I really wish someone would just make a native version of it with sampling.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: Nord Modular G2 worth the money or is G1 good enough?

Post by Bitexion » Sun May 17, 2015 7:24 pm

Even the micromodular is fun. If you don't mind patching on the computer of course, but then you wouldn't be considering the G1/G2 anyway.