Alesis HR16

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Alesis HR16

Postby HappyFunTimes » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:13 am

How much is one of these worth if it's in newish condition? I can get one for $60, but I'm thinking I'll try to talk him down to $30. Should I go for it, or save the money, and get an Yamaha RX5?
HappyFunTimes

Re: Alesis HR16

Postby ian » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:10 am

This was the first drum machine I really used, and it was good to learn on, but editing/sequencing is slow (lot's of squinting at a tiny LED screen), the sounds are dated to that era ( very clean and cold), no way to send an individual sound out for processing.

What I do remember being cool about it was that it worked great in odd times and if you wanna get weird with it you can go crazy layering sounds, think wall of sound, and then delete chunks of it in real time; sort of subtractive beat making but the layers made for 'new' sounds.

I would not pay more than $40 for one of these, that's me ( I would probably try to get it for $25)... I see people trying to sell these on-line for $100-$150 sometimes, which is absurd.

Edit: I can't remember if you can apply swing to individual voices but I do remember not loving the swing and after I got my hands on my friend's MPC 60 II never looking back.
ian

Gear: TR707, yam Sk20, Korg MS20, yam DX Reface and Dx7, Arturia micro, Kawai 1 Ii and 3... My step up is a work in progress.
Band: Black Limo

Postby monolith » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:21 pm

I honestly think even $60 is worth it. It's one of my favourite drum machines, it sees more use than my 808!
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby meatballfulton » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:41 pm

The HR16 has more realistic drum sounds than the RX5. That was it's biggest draw when first introduced. Like many technical marvels of the early MIDI period, it hasn't aged well.

I agree with paying as little as possible. You can easily find the far superior (and still in production) SR16 used for $60-100, so $60 for an HR16 is really pushing it.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Return to Buyer's Guide