Minibrute+Blofeld for ambient sounds. Would that work?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Ambiente Inóspito

Minibrute+Blofeld for ambient sounds. Would that work?

Post by Ambiente Inóspito » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:14 pm

So this is my first post here and I'm also new in the world of synths. I'd like to make ambient sounds just for fun. I don't even intend to show these to other people.

From my research, I discovered that I need a synth with post-processing capabilities (is that right?) and got recommendations of a Minibrute + Waldorf Blofeld or an Access Virus.

What do you guys think about this? I plan to spend some good time to learn and dedicate to these things and my budget, ideally, is 800 to USD 900.

Thanks for all your help and for reading this.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Minibrute+Blofeld for ambient sounds. Would that work?

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:35 pm

With either a Blofeld or a Virus you don't need a Minibrute at all to create ambient sounds.

If you were thinking of using those synths just to process the miniBrute with their effects you'd be better off just buying a good effects processor.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Ambiente Inóspito

Post by Ambiente Inóspito » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:58 pm

Thanks for your answer.

Which one would you recommend given my conditions?

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:27 pm

Either a Blofeld or a Virus would work well. Generally, an older Virus, B or C, are more affordable, but either one will provide all the sounds you seek, and then some.
Bassist, synth junkie

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:14 pm

The Blofeld is an ambient machine. As for the Minibrute, it seems like unless you're going to run it through heavy effects, it seems a little silly. For the same money, you could buy another Blofeld and have two ambient machines.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:45 pm

For ambient I would recommend the Blofeld & forget about the Minibrute. You will need some outboard effects though as the Blofeld's are pretty awful (IMO).

Given your budget you might want to check out a Boss VF-1 (2nd hand) as a decent all round multi-effect processor. Can be had pretty cheaply & cover many bases effect-wise.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud