Last remaining good value analogue poly synths?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Re: Last remaining good value analogue poly synths?

Post by Swayze » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:12 pm

Yeah I've seen 3P's and 8P's both come down in price lately, and may others for that matter. Seems like supply/demand finally balanced itself out, sellers are more desperate now and buyers not so much, so synths get cheaper. It's alright with me, for a while asking prices were getting pretty ridiculous.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:31 pm

Reports of $500 Poly 61's makes me wonder WTF people are thinking. Sonically a brand new Minilogue leaves it in the dust at the same price and it has real knobs rather than low-resolution parameter programming.

Pricing is so hype-based. Do the snappier envelopes really make a Juno worth 3x a JX8P or 2x a JX10? Buyers today are just so desperate to have analog that they will pay way too much for anything they can find even if it's mediocre. I'm afraid my perspective is colored by being there when this stuff was new.

PS a funny story: Back in the day a bandmate used a Poly 61 plus a DOD chorus pedal to replace both a Hammond M3 with Leslie and an ARP Omni (he kept his MiniMoog). A year later everybody was dumping their Hammonds and Rhodes for a DX7. Not hauling that M3 was a blessing :lol: For years you could buy Hammonds and Rhodes for $100 or less, one friend got his B3 and Leslie free just for being willing to haul it out of a barn.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:58 pm

The jx-8p is still a great value it seems. I remember using it for the 'one synth' competition, and it really exceeded my expectations. With the JX, you get out what you put into it, and despite being sold with ready made patches built onto the front, if you're looking for a synth that's going to just gracefully hand out ready made high quality sounds, look elsewhere. The JX wants you to get your hands dirty. But of course, people pay a premium for the looks, accessibility, and playability of the Juno 6/60, and possibly the idea that it sounds a little bit more like a Jupiter 8 than the JX. It gives a small slice of the Jupiter, if only aesthetically, whereas the JX is altogether different. There's value in all of those things, and that value is obviously greater than the increased synthesis power of the JX. There's also a comfort in knowing that whatever patch you make on the juno, it's going to be a pretty good version of whatever type of sound the patch is: it's hard to make a bad bass line, or a bad pad, or bad arpeggio sound with a juno. It's one giant sweet spot. The JX takes some coaxing at times, but the same quality results can still be had. It just lacks the grace and ease that accompanies the Juno, and thus of course commands less second hand value. It's also that one is played to create new sounds, the other is programed. But that obscuration of it's fully developed character is where the practical value lies today - if you can overcome the inherent limitations of its design.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

wjmwpg
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: LoveRock, T40, MG500, JX10 4.0, D-50, Juno 60, VZ10M, CZ1, HT6000, K3m, SX240, Lambda, DSS1, Yamaha SY2, DX11, SQ80, MultiTrak, SammichSID
Band: Gospel Choirs

Post by wjmwpg » Thu May 05, 2016 5:57 pm

I realize that the oscillators are not analog, but the filters are and they sound great… That said, I don't think you can do better for $300 - $500 than an Ensoniq SQ80. In my books it is the most underappreciated beast on the vintage send market. why its prices have not risen is beyond me.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Thu May 05, 2016 9:11 pm

Yes, the SQ-80 is great for sure. It's like a perfect blend of crunchy early sampler with weirdo hybrid polysynth.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

ApolloBoy
Gear: Korg ARP Odyssey
Korg Minilogue
Korg Monotron
Korg Volca Beats
Roland Jupiter-4
Roland JX-10
Squier P-Bass
Yamaha CS01
Yamaha CS-10

Post by ApolloBoy » Thu May 12, 2016 2:27 am

wjmwpg wrote:why its prices have not risen is beyond me.
It might be because of the UI; I think the reason why a lot of very capable synths like the JXs, Alpha Junos, and the ESQ-1 continue to sell for low prices is because of the really tedious interface they have.
Had: DX7, AX-60, SR-16, Yamaha TQ5, 01/WFD, Juno-106, MG-1, JX-03
Want: OB-6, Prophet 6, Jupiter-6

wjmwpg
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: LoveRock, T40, MG500, JX10 4.0, D-50, Juno 60, VZ10M, CZ1, HT6000, K3m, SX240, Lambda, DSS1, Yamaha SY2, DX11, SQ80, MultiTrak, SammichSID

Post by wjmwpg » Thu May 12, 2016 2:42 am

ApolloBoy wrote:
wjmwpg wrote:why its prices have not risen is beyond me.
It might be because of the UI; I think the reason why a lot of very capable synths like the JXs, Alpha Junos, and the ESQ-1 continue to sell for low prices is because of the really tedious interface they have.
In some ways I can see this being true, but then again I just sold a Kawai SX-240 for $1250, and quite frankly I didn't find its interface any more intuitive or enjoyable than that of my SQ80.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu May 12, 2016 3:04 pm

I always found the ESQ interface to be really good. Dedicated button right above the parameter, and no diving of menus. As for the SQ80, I think one think holding it back are the terrible keys. I enjoyed mine, and definitely miss it's character.

groy

Post by groy » Thu May 12, 2016 4:18 pm

I agree with jabberwalky, for it’s feature set, I think the interface on the ESQ-1 is very thoughtfully designed and super easy to use.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu May 12, 2016 6:58 pm

wjmwpg wrote:I realize that the oscillators are not analog, but the filters are and they sound great… That said, I don't think you can do better for $300 - $500 than an Ensoniq SQ80. In my books it is the most underappreciated beast on the vintage send market. why its prices have not risen is beyond me.
They never will at this point. There's no "famous user" cache, and the lack of knobs won't ever draw the non-manual reading crowd. Every few years there's blip where people remember these are great (or read it on the internet), and then they go back down to the usual $350-450 range. I was recently trying to sell my (backup) SQ-80 (in excellent condition) for around that price, and was unsuccessful. Meanwhile, two ESQ-ms, possibly the worst incarnation of the SQ series, sold quickly for nearly the same price :roll: I guess there's a move toward racks over keyboards these days--or there was a feature on some dude using it--but it blows my mind that anyone would ever take an "M" over the 80.
Do you even post on vse bro?

wjmwpg
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by wjmwpg » Thu May 12, 2016 7:29 pm

My dream is that one day somebody cleverer than I will do an OS upgrade of the SQ80 adding realtime MIDI CC support, like Bob Grieb has done for a few, Vecoven has done for the Super JX's, Synthcom with Europa for the Jupiter 6, etc., etc.