Last remaining good value analogue poly synths?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Last remaining good value analogue poly synths?

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:38 pm

synthparts wrote:The Chroma Polaris and Prophet-600 are still the best deals in analog poly synths.
Not for 350 UKP!
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

lockah

Post by lockah » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:15 pm

Great suggestions here folks. I managed to get a Juno 6 for £375 yesterday, which I know goes against some of the criteria I was listing but I couldn't resist.

There's a couple of small things wrong with it, but I may take this on as a WIP to sell on once fully fixed up, which might give me a little more to spend/trade with.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:17 pm

Ooh, nifty.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:17 pm

juno6 is a lovely-sounding thing, to be sure.
you will definitely get bored with it's sound-design limits pretty quickly, but it is a superb 'go-to' when you just gotta have that lush n bouncy early-80s roland sound.

keeping with poly, a Prophet600 would be a great (analog) compliment....has a lot that the juno isn't.
and Oberheim is always worth a try! although the matrix6/1000 will not be so ballsy-sounding as the prophet, they do sound very nice, and excel in modulation like few other classic analog polys can.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

ian
Gear: TR707, yam Sk20, Korg MS20, yam DX Reface and Dx7, Arturia micro, Kawai 1 Ii and 3... My step up is a work in progress.
Band: Black Limo

Post by ian » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:48 pm

Keep in mind that even if you land an older poly analog synth in good shape, you may very well have to reinvest a decent amount of $ at some point in yr time together to keep it alive. Don't mean that dispatchingly, just something to consider if you are on a tight budget.

lockah

Post by lockah » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:01 pm

shaft9000 wrote:juno6 is a lovely-sounding thing, to be sure.
you will definitely get bored with it's sound-design limits pretty quickly, but it is a superb 'go-to' when you just gotta have that lush n bouncy early-80s roland sound.

keeping with poly, a Prophet600 would be a great (analog) compliment....has a lot that the juno isn't.
and Oberheim is always worth a try! although the matrix6/1000 will not be so ballsy-sounding as the prophet, they do sound very nice, and excel in modulation like few other classic analog polys can.
To be honest my music is so dependant on big detuned 'analogue' sounding chords. definitely not picking this up for sonic exploration, although for something with about 10 faders/pots, you can do quite a lot of fun stuff with it...FX, electro perc etc.

I am hoping to eventually pick up a modular rack for more weird/sound designy stuff. just need an advance on a record or something. not swimming in dough right now!

lockah

Post by lockah » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:05 pm

ian wrote:Keep in mind that even if you land an older poly analog synth in good shape, you may very well have to reinvest a decent amount of $ at some point in yr time together to keep it alive. Don't mean that dispatchingly, just something to consider if you are on a tight budget.
roger that. this one's been in the previous owner's possession for 25 years so if i can get her cleaned up and sounding good i'll hopefully have some time to enjoy before needing same done again. I'm also hoping to be less broke once music money picks up again!

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:26 am

Last I checked the Oberheim Matrix 6/6R/1000 were still pretty cheap. But if you want knobs, those won't fill the bill.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:00 pm

I have gone off the idea of analogue polys of late and will probably sell my humble few. I will miss the look of certain ones but trophy gear is a slippy slope of thought. I find I am using the Microwave more and more for poly stuff. I'm not after identical emulation of specific sounds so the MW can easily get to simple places my JP4 can and sound amazing, and then have the balls to go other weirder places if need be with the turn of a knob.
The money these things command turn them into mythical creatures that the sound cannot hold a candle to.

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:55 pm

This might be unpopular to say, but I think the Korg Poly 61 is a hidden gem. As long as you have a bit of patience and make sure there's no issues with the battery leakage (as is common with the Poly 61, Polysix, and Poly 800) you'll have a good time. Takes well to FX too.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

SpiralMind
Gear: Fingers and brain, the rest is interchangeable.

Post by SpiralMind » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:36 pm

How about something really ghetto like a Crumar Stratus? The last one I saw was around £300.
ImI

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:22 pm

The most shocking synth inflation I've seen lately are the Poly-61 and JX-8P. They used to be dirt cheap 5 years ago and regularly sold for $200-300 on ebay. The Polysix and Juno 6/60 always commanded higher prices because of their superior sounding filters, but now that price gap is shrinking. I just checked today and every seller on ebay wants at least $500 for a Poly-61, some over a $1000 :lol: :roll:

JX-3P can still be had for $300-400 and is definitely the better bargain these days. It's a great synth and my favorite cheap analog poly. I like it soo much I might even buy another one soon if I can't find a decent deal on a Poly-61.

Nakatsu_Hime
Gear: Yamaha DX7s
Casio VZ-1
Casio CZ1000
Kawai K1m
Cheetah MS6
Yamaha RX11
Alesis HR16
Kawai Q80
Yamaha REX50

Post by Nakatsu_Hime » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:16 pm

My Cheetah MS-6 racksynth got plenty of use up to about 1991, then got shoved in our dusty hot/cold loft, and still worked when I tested it last September.
Apart from the painted-on editing guide rubbing off on its top panel, it's build like a tank.

Recommended.

kekkonen
Gear: Akai AX-73, Slim Phatty x 3, Minitaur, Minibrute, Rodec/Sherman Restyler, Moogerfooger 101, Logic Pro X

Post by kekkonen » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:05 pm

I just got an Akai AX-73 in a trade and the first impressions are great! By some reviewsI thought it would´ve been kind of harsh and thin but it did surprise me. In a way it is, but in a very different way than a modern poly, like a Tetra for example. More soft and for no better word, more vintage. Definately a child of the eighties :). It´s definately not a big, creamy type of thing but there are other synth´s for that type of sound anyways.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:45 pm

Swayze wrote:The most shocking synth inflation I've seen lately are the Poly-61 and JX-8P.
The JX-8P, with a PG-800 controller, will fetch big money. Just the 8P by itself still going around $350. 6 Voices, two osc per voice, plus a great filter. Very warm strings, pads, and soundscapes. To me the very best, still a bargain, value for the money going today. Programming it can be quick, and a lot of fun, when the matrix numbers become more familiar.