software sequencer advice please.

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
the synthman

software sequencer advice please.

Post by the synthman » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:23 pm

Hi. I'm looking at dipping my toe in the water, so to speak and try my hand at computer based software sequncers. I currently do my sequncer using my Ensoniq SD1. I want to slim down my set up as it's starting to take up to much bedroom space!. So I'm looking at using my laptop for my sequencing needs. Im looking for a software sequncer that at least as good and as easy to use as the 24 track sequncer in my SD1.I'm looking for, ideally a pattern based sequncer with a minimum of 16 tracks (audio recording not important) must be as easy to use as the Ensoniq have an easy leaning curve. Prefer free download or at least a trial version I don't want to pay a small fortune on something if I decide it's not for me!. I don't want a full blown DAW with all the bells and whistles just a basic turn on and go midi sequncer. Can someone recommend something I can try out.

Thanks

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: software sequencer advice please.

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:37 pm

Windows or Mac?

Primarily step sequencing or real-time?

Input from the laptop keys or from a MIDI keyboard?

P.S. Nothing is as easy to use as the Ensoniq sequencers.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

the synthman

Post by the synthman » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:53 pm

Good questions.lol

Windows 7.
Realtime pattern (looped) based recording. ie.Ensoniq style!
Hp pavilion laptop.
Input from SD1 midied to laptop through a midi man midi sport 2x2 midi interface.

I know it's probably not going to be easy to find one that that ticks all the boxes ie. Does all the Ensoniq stuff.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:32 pm

One more question for clarification.

If you will still be using the SD1 as your keyboard but not as your sequencer yet you are "slimming down" your setup, what are you getting rid of and what instruments will the sequencer be driving?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

the synthman

Post by the synthman » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:31 am

Going (possibly) SD1. Keeping (to be sequenced from the laptop). Alesis Fusion, Studiologic Sledge. Korg Triton rack. Roland R-70. I'm only toying with the laptop idea at the moment. I may even change my mind yet :D

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:38 pm

Most standalone sequencer software out today is for step sequencing, not real time entry. Most software that alows real time MIDI sequencing are DAWs. So what you really want isn't readily available.

However, with any DAW that sequences MIDI you can just ignore the audio functionality completely. That's how I use Cubase, just as a MIDI sequencer.

You might want to start by looking at Tracktion. Currently at version T6, the earlier T4 version is now 100% free.

Another free DAW is PreSonus Studio One. They just moved from V2 to V3 and the free version is "coming soon" but you can download the V3 demo to get an idea.