What should I buy?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Re: What should I buy?

Post by ryryoftokyo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:43 pm

Everybody seems to be ignoring the fact that the OP is going for a Juno 60 in addition to a Moog Sub 37 or DSI Pro 2. More versatile combo is more versatile. The Minimoog is an amazing synth, but I wasn't aware it had all the same features of a Juno 60 and Moog Sub 37 and then some. You learn something new every day :lol:
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:53 pm

I know I mentioned it..I just think the Juno60 is pretty worthless.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:53 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:I know I mentioned it..I just think the Juno60 is pretty worthless.
Let's say, it's analogue synthesis made easy.

For the simple-minded.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Peopleunderthesun
Gear: Minimoog, Polymoog, Prophet 5, Composer, Multiman, Jx10 with Vecoven modifications, D50, Emax II HD, Dx7 MkI Supermax, MPC 5000
Band: People Under The Sun

Post by Peopleunderthesun » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:23 am

My advice to anyone body who gets an opportunity to buy a Mini at a discounted price is get it. Don't think about it, if you can afford it, get it. You will thank yourself later. My Mini has never needed servicing and I played it live for years. My Junos were all bland sounding, sketchy synthesizers. New Moog and DSI stuff does not impress me. I've been inside of them, they are scary cheap on the inside. My 2 cents

xparis001
Band: Platform One

Post by xparis001 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:53 am

The pro2 iis the first synth ive played in a long time that made me think that i could sell everything and just use that.

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:40 pm

xparis001 wrote:The pro2 iis the first synth ive played in a long time that made me think that i could sell everything and just use that.
Yep. That's why I had to have one. I had to sell my Eventide Eclipse (have an Orville) and MC-202 to get it but it was more than worth it. Amazing synth and really can do ANYTHING.

As far as the oscillator board thing goes I have a friend that has a very early Minimoog and it sounds much buzzier and warmer than later ones though I'm sure every Mini is different. Just the voice of my experience. And regardless of facts the older Minimoogs resell for much more just in case you dont like it.

If you're ok with the sound of late model Minimoogs just buy a Source. You get the sound but for much cheaper.

And regarding the Juno 60 it's kinda like a souped up stringer for me. But it also has that 80s Jupe 8 ENV/VCF/VCA section that perfectly bounce and always instantly sounds great. I often think of selling it until I play it then I can't.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40