DX7 Japan To Ireland Power Conversion

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
creganbrendan

DX7 Japan To Ireland Power Conversion

Post by creganbrendan » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:35 am

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here as I have just bought my first synth - DX7.

However I was hoping for some advice on powering my new beast.
I have included a screengrab of its backplate below.

I was planning on getting one of these to deal with the power conversion, in your opinion is it sufficient?

Stepdown

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: DX7 Japan To Ireland Power Conversion

Post by madtheory » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:05 pm

That's a bit OTT. A standard 35W step down only (no step up) from eBay will do fine. Why did you import from Japan? Is it a special DX7?

creganbrendan

Post by creganbrendan » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:33 pm

Thanks for your reply. Could you provide me a sample on amazon.co.uk or ebay?
From a quick ebay search for 35W step down they seem to be the same price as my suggestion and I may be able to power other devices too in future - if I can afford to expand my collection :)

The reason I bought this one is that I couldn't find many in good condition that will post to Ireland.
Most of which charge crazy money for delivery, this was the first one I can across that would ship to Ireland and was in good condition. Most I have seen over the last few months were around the 400e mark which I couldnt pay.
I got this one for just over 300, I had been trying on adverts.ie as well but they wanted silly money.

PS - what are you using to make the lead in Brians Brain?!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:24 pm

Good idea to go for higher power alright. It's true, hard to find a mint dx7 in Ireland these days! I had an interesting time transferring sounds from one into FM8. Occasionally they came out differently.

Thanks for listening :) I'm not sure which is the lead sound. The bell is a Casio CZ single cycle sample, just one note. Of a bell patch. The arp is a CZ detuned saw multisampled into Kontakt with LPF mod applied. So I guess it's the bell?

Stick around this forum, it's totally focussed on synths. Good to have more Irish here :)

creganbrendan

Post by creganbrendan » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:38 pm

Great, so you reckon I am safe enough with what I suggested?
I'm terrified of plugging it in and the thing exploding!

Yeah the bell is what I was talking about, if you don't mind me asking how are you capturing the sound from the CZ?
Do you play any gigs around Ireland?

pinksoir
Gear: Korg Volca Keys,
Korg Polysix,
Roland JX3P,
Teisco SX-400 ,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha SK20.
Band: Bear Worship

Post by pinksoir » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:30 pm

You could always just get a tech/electrical dude to change the operating voltage of the synth for you. I've bought a bunch of synths from Japan (from Modeless Factory) and Ko always changes the voltage before he ships a synth to me. Dunno how much it'd cost but it'd beat having a big feckin' block sitting on the floor and would remove the risk of you or someone else ever plugging it in without the step down convertor and blowing the PSU.
"I think it would be egotistical of me to say, 'I thought of it'. What happened is, I opened my mind up and the idea came through and into my head." - Bob Moog

creganbrendan

Post by creganbrendan » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:49 pm

Thanks Pinksoir, I dont think I could find someone to do it. I think I'll get this one so I have the option to buy some others in future.

PS - liking the tune in your sig.

pinksoir
Korg Polysix,
Roland JX3P,
Teisco SX-400 ,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha SK20.

Post by pinksoir » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:00 am

Thanks for listening, glad you like it!

Are you in Dublin? If so John Henson (retroactivesynth dot com) should be able to do it. An option for you to think about anyway.
"I think it would be egotistical of me to say, 'I thought of it'. What happened is, I opened my mind up and the idea came through and into my head." - Bob Moog

creganbrendan

Post by creganbrendan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:01 am

Thanks for the help, will drop him a mail!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:24 pm

creganbrendan wrote:Yeah the bell is what I was talking about, if you don't mind me asking how are you capturing the sound from the CZ?
Do you play any gigs around Ireland?
The bell was sampled from a CZ-101 into an Echo Layla 20 bit interface, then I looked at the waveform to make a single cycle loop. In that track what you're hearing is the same sound in Kontakt, imported from the Emu ESI 4000 where I did it originally.

Basically, I spent some time a while back experimenting with making single cycle loops from synths to make "oscillators", and then using a sampler as the "synth". Sometimes, you get the qualities of the synth but with something added. In the case of the Casio CZ, more bandwidth and a generally "bigger" sound, but sometimes with less digital character.

rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rschnier » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:39 pm

Hello,

This synth is designed for 100 volts AC (as indicated on the spec plate in your photo). The converter you linked to in the first posting steps down to 110-120 volts, which is at least 10% and as much as 20% over what the synth is spec'd for. That extra 10-20% can make a difference! If you can find a step-down converter that actually outputs 100 volts it would be best.
-- R.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:13 pm

Can you explain exactly what difference it will make? Because I don't think you can talk about voltage in terms of percentage without also considering power, current and what the connected load draws. FYI the DX7, like most PSUs has a voltage regulator inside that will take care of the 10V as heat. This is its normal function. Mains voltage in Ireland can be anything from 210V to 245V for various reasons. The main one I think is greater distance from substation giving a greater number of resistant connections causing small voltage drops at each one, which add up. This is a normal variation that PSUs deal with all the time. Maybe Hideawaystudios can chime in with a better explanation.

So basically, it's not a problem- at least in the terms you describe, which are vague at best.

pinksoir
Korg Polysix,
Roland JX3P,
Teisco SX-400 ,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha SK20.

Post by pinksoir » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:27 am

Yeah I don't buy it. For example, Ireland and UK operate at the European standard of 230V "officially" yet most equipment is rated at 240V. Or maybe it's the other wat around. Regardless, as madtheory says, stuff varies between 210-240 and above/below. That's just normal tolerances.

creganbrendan

Post by creganbrendan » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:40 pm

Thanks for all your help guys. hopefully it will all work out with the transformer and I can get on with enjoying it :)