Synthesizers for Electronic Body Music ???

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Re: Synthesizers for Electronic Body Music ???

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:07 pm

With the new school of EBM (VNV, APB, A23 and so forth), yes the sound is definitely defined by the Access Virus. You can even tell when Adrian Hates must have acquired one for Diary of Dreams as his sound changes a great deal afterwards to something more danceable. I presume that And One also use one.

With old school EBM, in addition to those already mentioned, don't forget the heavy use of samplers. Covenant kind of bridges the gap between new and old. Their primary instrument was really a Sequential Prophet 2000. They also heavily used an MS-20 and a DX-7. But with Front 242, Front Line Assembly, Nitzer Ebb, we're talking hardware samplers over those basslines. I read somewhere that Front Line Assembly made their massive basslines on Tactical Neural Implant and successive records with layered samples from Sequential Pro One and their Moog Model D put together using only an Akai S-20 sampler. Pretty groovy.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

LastSystem

Post by LastSystem » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:03 pm

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 pm

Good, now you have your answer: Doepfer A-100. :yahoo:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

LastSystem

Post by LastSystem » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:56 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Good, now you have your answer: Doepfer A-100. :yahoo:
Doepfer , Access Virus , DX7 , MS-20, Moog , Nord Lead , sampler,......

now, I just need the money ! :lol:

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:45 am

Walter Ego wrote:With the new school of EBM (VNV, APB, A23 and so forth), yes the sound is definitely defined by the Access Virus. You can even tell when Adrian Hates must have acquired one for Diary of Dreams as his sound changes a great deal afterwards to something more danceable. I presume that And One also use one.

With old school EBM, in addition to those already mentioned, don't forget the heavy use of samplers. Covenant kind of bridges the gap between new and old. Their primary instrument was really a Sequential Prophet 2000. They also heavily used an MS-20 and a DX-7. But with Front 242, Front Line Assembly, Nitzer Ebb, we're talking hardware samplers over those basslines. I read somewhere that Front Line Assembly made their massive basslines on Tactical Neural Implant and successive records with layered samples from Sequential Pro One and their Moog Model D put together using only an Akai S-20 sampler. Pretty groovy.

Covenant really uses a Nord Modular. The Prophet 2000 is largely used as a controller.

Live, Front 242 is currently using a Roland FA-06, a Roland Jupiter 80, two laptops, and a Korg R3. Drums are done live. (Just saw them Friday)

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.

Post by Walter Ego » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:10 pm

Ashe37 wrote:Covenant really uses a Nord Modular. The Prophet 2000 is largely used as a controller.
Okay, maybe they do now, but they started out as a sample-driven outfit. I read an interview where Eskil talks about how much the Prophet 2000 defined their sound, not because it was even the best sampler but because they just ended up building their sample library for it. Unless I'm mistaken, there wasn't a Nord Modular in existence when their first several albums were released.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Danchenka

Post by Danchenka » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:18 am

This is a pretty old interview, but give it a look. It might give you some ideas.

https://web.archive.org/web/20031202211 ... 903_f1.htm

Or maybe not... It doesn't really narrow things down. I think it really just shows that you can use anything.

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:31 am

Walter Ego wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:Covenant really uses a Nord Modular. The Prophet 2000 is largely used as a controller.
Okay, maybe they do now, but they started out as a sample-driven outfit. I read an interview where Eskil talks about how much the Prophet 2000 defined their sound, not because it was even the best sampler but because they just ended up building their sample library for it. Unless I'm mistaken, there wasn't a Nord Modular in existence when their first several albums were released.
yep, but i am going by what they are using now, and what i have seen them with on stage.

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:45 pm

^^^

It's been a while since I've seen them live. They used Emulator II+ on stage on one tour instead of the Prophet, but didn't like it as much.

When I've seen them live in the US (a decade ago), they've used Roland controllers and a Triton rack. Not sure what else. They're very pragmatic, though, and I don't think they fetishize their gear. They also used their DX-7 and MS-20 all over their records, but I'm pretty sure they don't tour with them, at least not any more.
Walter Ego

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:49 pm

Walter Ego wrote:^^^

It's been a while since I've seen them live. They used Emulator II+ on stage on one tour instead of the Prophet, but didn't like it as much.

When I've seen them live in the US (a decade ago), they've used Roland controllers and a Triton rack. Not sure what else. They're very pragmatic, though, and I don't think they fetishize their gear. They also used their DX-7 and MS-20 all over their records, but I'm pretty sure they don't tour with them, at least not any more.
When I saw them on your this year and last year, they had a Prophet 2000, a nord modular keys and a laptop. Couldn't tell anything else.

Rokk

Post by Rokk » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:01 pm

MS20, Nord Lead 2(x), Minibrute, MS2000, DX7, DW8000, SH101,...these come to mind.
I don't think big, expensive polysynths are necessary here.

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:06 pm

Except, as we've discussed, that's what EBM bands are actually using.