Looking to Buy First Synthesizer

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
RapierApe

Looking to Buy First Synthesizer

Post by RapierApe » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:58 am

Hi all. New member here!

I've been fiddling around with a Monotron and a Monotribe and I'm wanting more! I've been doing some research and I'm torn right now between the Korg MS-20 Mini and the Arturia Minibrute. I have yet to try them out but in terms of sound I'm attracted to both of them. I like the MS20 though because of it being semi-modular but I read that it doesnt "talk" to a lot of other gear out there and I'm looking for something that can grow with me which sounds like the Minibrute will. In the long run I'd like to run it into a modular rack. Musically I'm inspired by a lot of minimal (Xeno & Oaklander/Martial Cantarel) but also like the whole "time and space" sounds and drone. Thanks guys!

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Re: Looking to Buy First Synthesizer

Post by Rick N Boogie » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:52 pm

I don't much care for the feel of the MS 20's little mini keys, so of the two, I'd go with the Brute- but there are other options in that general price range. A used DSI Mopho kb for instance.
Bassist, synth junkie

caligula

Post by caligula » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:46 am

Sounds like we have similar taste in music and I am quite pleased with my MS20 mini. I haven't tried hooking up much to other synths since I don't have one, but I've spent a lot of time trying out various stuff with the patchbay and using other audio source which has lead to a bunch of weird and cool sounds.

Str8Sounds

Post by Str8Sounds » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:34 pm

Have you considered the MicroKorg? I have that and the MicroBrute. The MicroBrute and other fully analog synthesizers are harder to play because you have to sculpt each sound and you typically can't save your patches. The MicroBrute has a sequencer, which is essential. The MiniBrute does not have a sequencer. The MicroKorg is analog modeling synth, so it has some digital features, and it has arpeggiator, but no sequencer.

I think a good set up would be a MicroKorg plus a Korg Kaossilator Pro Plus, which I have.

http://equipboard.com/str8sounds

https://str8sounds.bandcamp.com/

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:40 pm

Str8Sounds wrote:The MiniBrute does not have a sequencer.
That's not correct as such. There is (a) the MiniBrute SE with a sequencer, and you can (b) convert the standard MiniBrute (with arpeggiator) into a MiniBrute with sequencer and vice versa by uploading another firmware that you can download for free.
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:54 pm

You can also buy the Microbrute, which has the sequencer instead of arpeggiator. Over Black Friday, Minibrute is $400, Microbrute is $300 and MS 20 Mini is $450. Hard to go wrong. Same price range also has the $500 Novation Bass Station II