cheap synths

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

cheap synths

Postby martedi » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:53 pm

hello everybody, this is my first post and forgive my english :)

i'm a keyboard player who has always been fascinated by synthesizers but never actually used them, always played piano or vst's.
i think now it's the right time ;)
so, my idea is to buy 2 or better 3 cheap synths (by cheap i mean under 250-300$) to see what "happens" when i turn knobs and such, how can i create sounds by building it from the beginning. i'm willing to try and understand hardware synths before making the big jump, one day, and buy a serious synth (read moog :D ).
i've already put my eyes on the microbrute. can you tell me a couple of other synths? i want to see how different they are one from the other, how they sound, you know, things like that. i'd prefer synths with a keyboard so i don't have to buy a new one.

thanks everybody if you'll be kind enough to stop and answer me :)

paolo
martedi

Re: cheap synths

Postby Z » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:04 pm

Sound like the Roland Boutique synths that will be released soon might be right up your alley.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80823
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby Cosmic Key » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:11 pm

You might go to second hand market, there you'll find a bunch of possibilities. Arturia Microbrute sounds really nice, and it's relatively easy to get used to. I spent 10 minutes with it in a retailer and got really cool sounds.
Cosmic Key

Gear: Alesis QSR, Korg M1, Korg Microkorg, Korg Poly-800, Korg Rhythm-55, Korg Triton Taktile, Kurzweil SP-2X, Roland JX-8P, Roland TR-505

Postby ian » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:08 pm

If you are thinking about learning on a cheap synth with the end goal of buying a Moog, I think you are totally right on with the idea of buying either a Microbrute or Minibrute to learn on. However, if you do have an iPad or Android device, may I suggest you use an app like Caustic ( amazing app by itself and great learning tool) or maybe buying another dedicated soft synth program, such as the Arturia Moog synth(?) ... In that way, you can get a taste for how to program a synth with almost zero risk ($10 to $30 ) .. If you need hands on, I think the Brutes are a great intro. The Roland Boutiques seem sort of weak to me ( this said never having played one) but I own a Microbrute and love it.
ian

Gear: TR707, yam Sk20, Korg MS20, yam DX Reface and Dx7, Arturia micro, Kawai 1 Ii and 3... My step up is a work in progress.
Band: Black Limo

Return to Buyer's Guide