Looking for inexpensive bass synth

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Looking for inexpensive bass synth

Post by adamstan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:12 pm

Hello,

I'm looking for inexpensive bass synth. I want to use it for realtime playing "arranger-style". I need two features - some kind of sequencer/arpeggiator, that can be transposed by incoming MIDI notes or CV, and synced to a drum machine (either by MIDI clock or trigger signal). Mini- and Microbrute seems to fit pretty well. What about Volca Bass? AFAIK it doesn't allow realtime sequence transposing?
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Looking for inexpensive bass synth

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:15 pm

no sequence transposing on the volca bass. Pity, because i like the sound

adamstan
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:51 am

Bummer... AFAIK 303 and its clones also don't have this feature. So I probably will get Microbrute and some set of bass pedals.

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:50 pm

If you're on a budget, look no further than the Novation Bass Station 2. This synth is a great all around performer. With two oscillators and a sub oscillator, this machine can make some crushing bass. The Bass Station 2 can be had used on eBay for around $350. It is a feature packed versatile synth, especially for the price.

If you have a bit more money in your budget, you may also want to look into the Dave Smith Instruments MoPho Keyboard. This little yellow synth (I own one) is a two oscillator machine with sub oscillators. It can also create crushing bass. The modulation routing capabilities on the MoPho are unreal. The MoPho can be found used on eBay for $500-600.

My recommendation is to check out both of these synths, perhaps listen to some more demos on Youtube.

If you have even a bit more money in your budget, you may also want to look into the Moog Sub Phatty (the first Moog with a sub oscillator). The Sub Phatty does have that classic Moog filter, although the Sub Phatty has far less patch memory storage capacity than either the Novation Bass Station 2 or the Dave Smith Instruments MoPho. The Sub Phatty does not have an arpeggiator. If that is a must have for you, then this one is out.

All three of the above synths are real analog (not virtual analog), and they all have full size (not mini) keys. They all accept MIDI. You can't really go wrong with any of them.

Happy hunting.

natrixgli
Gear: USB Hub, Pedalboard, Keyboard Stand, and many cables.
Band: Suboscillator

Post by natrixgli » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:50 pm

If you already have a MIDI controller, the DSI Evolver Desktop is a cheap and cheerful option, as is the Mopho.

The Evolver desktop is great because when you're programming the sequencer, the note plays as you turn the knobs making it really easy to program. Plus in addition to the two analog oscillators it has two wavetable oscillators that can do FM which can get some really gritty sounding bass. It has distortion and feedback built in too. Highly underrated synth!

adamstan
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:58 am

I'm watching Alphacode's BassStation II demo, and I really like what I hear. Nice little synth. It may exceed my planned budget, but we'll see... Aftertouch should be greatly usable for leads.