Prophet 12 vs Tempest?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
varun213
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:18 am

Prophet 12 vs Tempest?

Post by varun213 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:31 am

Hi guys, Ive been producing electronic based music(rap/hip hop) for about 6 years and want to move out of the box and starts using analog synths. I have a real basic knowledge of getting a decent sound started from variety of controls that synthesizers offer. I use the vst by Spectrasonics called "Omnisphere" alot and learned basic soundwave functions form that awesome vst.

I want to apply that by investing in the Prophet 12, Tempest(for analog drums)and/or The minimoog Voyager. I love all three but Dont know if there are better choices out there than the prophet 12 perhaps? The tempest I will definitely get. I really like the portability of the prophet 12 but didn't realize its sound engine has digital Oscillators? I really want to go 100% analog so that kind of confuses me there.

Are there any good books out there that provide a great in depth knowledge on moving from a beginner to more experienced sound designer ?


Anyways I appreciate all the advice given.

User avatar
Big Gnome
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 405
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:14 am
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript
Location: Oakland, CA
Contact:

Re: Prophet 12 vs Tempest?

Post by Big Gnome » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:45 am

varun213 wrote:I love all three but Dont know if there are better choices out there than the prophet 12 perhaps?
"Better" is not really a meaningful term here--it's contingent upon what you intend to use it for, but moreover just how much you like it personally. I would also offer that you're asking about a drum machine, an analog monosynth, and a hybrid analog/digital polysynth--apples and oranges, man. See if you can play around with some of them at a music store, maybe you'll connect with one (or for that matter, realize there's some unanticipated aspect you can't stand).
I really like the portability of the prophet 12 but didn't realize its sound engine has digital Oscillators? I really want to go 100% analog so that kind of confuses me there.
The oscillators are digital, and the rest of the signal path (filters, amps, etc.) are analog. This is not an uncommon architecture, and, I think, a very sensible one. Honestly, I'd advise you not to get hung up on the analog vs. digital thing, because frankly it's very silly--go for what sounds good to you.
Are there any good books out there that provide a great in depth knowledge on moving from a beginner to more experienced sound designer ?
Required reading: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm
Start at the beginning and work your way through the whole series.

Good luck.
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

varun213
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:18 am

Re: Prophet 12 vs Tempest?

Post by varun213 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:47 am

Thats true since I am a newbie to synths I started the interest of getting one by comparing the sound you get from digital synths compared to real analog synths. From your perspective which one is clearly having more depth and a higher quality sound overall? I have a budget of about 3500, and I really wanted to get the Tempest regardless because I want my drums to be in analog and not digital anymore. TIred of using sampled drumkits that are available online. I want to synthesize my own 808 drums. What would you suggest as far as a legitimate drum machine for a DAW based producer because I will be doing all my sequencing through the DAW and only sound designing at most from the hardware.

I like the Prophet 12 but I heard it was compared to the Elektra Analog keys. From those two could you give me your opinions on the 2 pieces of synths?

Lastly,

I really want the Moog voyager but if I decide to go that route then I cant get the Prophet nor the Tempest.

Moog voyager only? or Prophet 12 and Tempest both?


Thank you for help.

varun213
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:18 am

Re: Prophet 12 vs Tempest?

Post by varun213 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:14 am

The price of the Tempest is 2000 , I also looked at The Roland TR-8 drum machine which is about 600 i think. All the sequencing will be done in my daw. I simply just want to use these drum machines to create my own TRUE ANALOG drum/percussion samples and import them into my daw and handle it from there.

with that being said could anybody suggest a suitable true analog Drum machine for that purpose?

User avatar
Big Gnome
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 405
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:14 am
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript
Location: Oakland, CA
Contact:

Re: Prophet 12 vs Tempest?

Post by Big Gnome » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:50 am

varun213 wrote:Thats true since I am a newbie to synths I started the interest of getting one by comparing the sound you get from digital synths compared to real analog synths. From your perspective which one is clearly having more depth and a higher quality sound overall?
You really can't expect digital synthesizers to have a sound and analog synths to have a different sound, and neither is naturally [insert superlative here]-er than the other. Seriously, find an instrument whose sound pleases you and don't fixate on the technology that produces it. Analog is not a synonym for "good"; neither is digital.
I have a budget of about 3500, and I really wanted to get the Tempest regardless because I want my drums to be in analog and not digital anymore. TIred of using sampled drumkits that are available online. I want to synthesize my own 808 drums.
Well, if you're itching for a Tempest, then you should get one. Most of the occasions I've had my heart set on a piece of gear and gone for an alternative instead, I have ended up regretting it. (Plus I usually end up feeling unfulfilled, buying what I actually wanted in the first place later on, and having a disused piece of gear I was never that into collecting dust in the corner.)

I don't mean to sound condescending, but you understand that digital synthesis does not necessarily involve samples, right?

808s, for all their distinction, are not particularly complicated pieces of gear. You can get recognizably in the ballpark for most of those sounds on a lot of synthesizers and drum machines. I refer you again to the Sound On Sound series I posted a link to before--there are a few articles that deconstruct how 808's produce their tones.
What would you suggest as far as a legitimate drum machine for a DAW based producer because I will be doing all my sequencing through the DAW and only sound designing at most from the hardware.
Anything with MIDI I/O (which is just about every drum machine of the last 30 years) should interface just fine with a DAW. You'll probably need a computer interface(s) for MIDI and for audio.
I like the Prophet 12 but I heard it was compared to the Elektra Analog keys. From those two could you give me your opinions on the 2 pieces of synths?
Haven't played either, so I can't render an opinion. Sorry.
I really want the Moog voyager but if I decide to go that route then I cant get the Prophet nor the Tempest.
It sounds to me like you would not be happy with a monosynth as your only hardware, especially as it would preclude getting a Tempest which you seem really interested in, but that's really not the kind of thing someone else can answer for you.
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

AnalogKid
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:20 am

Re: Prophet 12 vs Tempest?

Post by AnalogKid » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:55 am

The Prophet 12 has amazing features, but the bottom line is that it's about the sound. This is the clip that sold me on the Prophet 12 (does this sound too digital? I don't think so).

Crank it (good speakers or headphones are a must):


varun213
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:18 am

Re: Prophet 12 vs Tempest?

Post by varun213 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:23 am

AnalogKid wrote:The Prophet 12 has amazing features, but the bottom line is that it's about the sound. This is the clip that sold me on the Prophet 12 (does this sound too digital? I don't think so).

Crank it (good speakers or headphones are a must):

Great demo! wow that sounds amazing. That right there is enough for me to invest in the prophet 12. Not digital at all lol. Just beautiful if you ask me. Have you tried the Tempest? if not what are your thoughts on it? would it be worth it just to use it as a raw drum creator to import into my daw and program them with other sounds?

varun213
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:18 am

Re: Prophet 12 vs Tempest?

Post by varun213 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:35 am

I don't mean to sound condescending, but you understand that digital synthesis does not necessarily involve samples, right?
808s, for all their distinction, are not particularly complicated pieces of gear. You can get recognizably in the ballpark for most of those sounds on a of synthesizers and drum machines. I refer you again to the Sound On Sound series I posted a link to before--there are a few articles that deconstruct how 808's produce their tones.


Yea I get what you're saying. but my point is whether Analog produced 808s and sounds in GENERAL have a more detailed and deeper/warmer/better tone than digitally produced 808s and sounds.? I wanted to improve the quality of my music and I dont feel I am getting the warmth and tone I want because it is all digital and coded based synths.

I understand the synthesis behind an 808 but the reason im asking is because I dont have a place where I can go and just hear some analog synths in person. (no pro audio store in my area). So ive been trying to find out without any bias if 808s coming directly from Analog hardware give a more detailed sound than digitally synthesized 808s. Same goes for pads/arp synths/ etc...I have access to a great synth machine that is virtual but I want to go analog because I hear the same sounds you make in the box do not match up to the quality of that sound being produced in Analog.

what could you say on that?

thanks again

User avatar
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Posts: 1547
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:10 am
Gear: YES PLEASE!
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Prophet 12 vs Tempest?

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:51 pm

varun213 wrote: Yea I get what you're saying. but my point is whether Analog produced 808s and sounds in GENERAL have a more detailed and deeper/warmer/better tone than digitally produced 808s and sounds.? I wanted to improve the quality of my music and I dont feel I am getting the warmth and tone I want because it is all digital and coded based synths.

I understand the synthesis behind an 808 but the reason im asking is because I dont have a place where I can go and just hear some analog synths in person. (no pro audio store in my area). So ive been trying to find out without any bias if 808s coming directly from Analog hardware give a more detailed sound than digitally synthesized 808s. Same goes for pads/arp synths/ etc...I have access to a great synth machine that is virtual but I want to go analog because I hear the same sounds you make in the box do not match up to the quality of that sound being produced in Analog.

what could you say on that?

thanks again
Most 808s available in DAWs or packs are samples of a real 808, not digital replicas. Now once you start tweaking the parameters you are manipulating the samples digitally, which sometimes produces results you may not want.

I'd recommend getting the Tempest and going from there. The Tempest is a great drum machine but also a very robust poly-synth engine. Some even prefer it as a synth vs a drum machine.

varun213
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:18 am

Re: Prophet 12 vs Tempest?

Post by varun213 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:12 pm

[/quote]Most 808s available in DAWs or packs are samples of a real 808, not digital replicas. Now once you start tweaking the parameters you are manipulating the samples digitally, which sometimes produces results you may not want.

I'd recommend getting the Tempest and going from there. The Tempest is a great drum machine but also a very robust poly-synth engine. Some even prefer it as a synth vs a drum machine.[/quote]

thanks, Im pretty certain on getting the Tempest first. I still have a reasonable budget to get one more synth and I really had interest in the Prophet 12 MODULE. Could you give me some brief input on the prophet 12 module and from your perspective its strengths and weaknesses?

The tempest is pretty clear that is an amazing synth/drum machine. Which I am excited to get soon!

Ashe37
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3783
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:43 pm
Real name: Unpronounceable
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V
Location: Central VA

Re: Prophet 12 vs Tempest?

Post by Ashe37 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:23 pm

I'vew spent a couple hours messing with Prophet 12 modules and liked them a lot. The interface on the module is very reminiscent of the interface on the ESQ-1, except iy has several knobs instead of just a data slider.

User avatar
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Posts: 1547
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:10 am
Gear: YES PLEASE!
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Prophet 12 vs Tempest?

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:29 pm

varun213 wrote: thanks, Im pretty certain on getting the Tempest first. I still have a reasonable budget to get one more synth and I really had interest in the Prophet 12 MODULE. Could you give me some brief input on the prophet 12 module and from your perspective its strengths and weaknesses?

The tempest is pretty clear that is an amazing synth/drum machine. Which I am excited to get soon!
I've never had or played the P12 to compare it. But based on the specs I'd say if you're looking for analog-type sounds it has a lot you'd never use--the complex digital waves, FM synthesis, digital fx, etc. So the Prophet 08 might make more sense. Instead of those specifically digital bits it has the 16x4 sequencer, which is one of my favorite things on DSI synths, and it's a bit cheaper.

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9723
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:41 pm
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX
Location: monster island*
Contact:

Re: Prophet 12 vs Tempest?

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:24 am

varun213 wrote:Yea I get what you're saying. but my point is whether Analog produced 808s and sounds in GENERAL have a more detailed and deeper/warmer/better tone than digitally produced 808s and sounds.? I wanted to improve the quality of my music and I dont feel I am getting the warmth and tone I want because it is all digital and coded based synths.
Have you ever heard a recording of an 808? Was it a digital recording of the analogue machine? Did it still have warmth and tone? If so then a digital sample of an 808 will sound the same, a bit of variation on the samples can give you phase variation of the oscillator if that's what you're after.
varun213 wrote:I understand the synthesis behind an 808 but the reason im asking is because I dont have a place where I can go and just hear some analog synths in person. (no pro audio store in my area). So ive been trying to find out without any bias if 808s coming directly from Analog hardware give a more detailed sound than digitally synthesized 808s. Same goes for pads/arp synths/ etc...I have access to a great synth machine that is virtual but I want to go analog because I hear the same sounds you make in the box do not match up to the quality of that sound being produced in Analog.

what could you say on that?

thanks again
If you want analogue drums from a modern piece of hardware then I'd pick the Elektron Rytm over the Tempest. Played them both and the Tempest is cool but as a strictly drum machine the Rytm beats it. Tempest is cool as a weird pad synth more than a drum machine in my opinion.

Ashe37
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3783
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:43 pm
Real name: Unpronounceable
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V
Location: Central VA

Re: Prophet 12 vs Tempest?

Post by Ashe37 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:36 am

I really like the Rytm too, I've spent a bit of time with them.

User avatar
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Posts: 1547
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:10 am
Gear: YES PLEASE!
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Prophet 12 vs Tempest?

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:14 am

I was going to mention the Rytm but didn't want to overwhelm the lad with options. :wink:

Different people prefer the sound of one vs the other; as for me I like them both but I much prefer the Rytm's interface/flow.

Post Reply