Going price for a JX-3P and PG-200

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
amv

Going price for a JX-3P and PG-200

Post by amv » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:05 pm

I've been dying to add a JX-3P and PG-200 to my rig for a while now, but I can't seem to find a set on eBay, Reverb or CL for under $900-$1000. I know these keyboards have gotten a lot more popular over the last 5-10 years, which I understand, but it's starting to seem a bit excessive for such a limited piece of hardware, retro-chic or not. I really love vintage gear, but at a certain point the high prices become a bit self-defeating.

I really just want to confirm that if and when I blow a somewhat silly amount of money on this thing, it's the same price everyone else is seeing and I'm not missing better deals somewhere like an idiot.

(Also, is it me or where these things a LOT cheaper only a few years ago? Does anyone remember how much they were going for in previous years? Just curious what other people have noticed.)

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Re: Going price for a JX-3P and PG-200

Post by megamanx » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:28 pm

yep around 900 bucks for the combo, usually around 400 bucks for the jx3p by itself, and pg200 usually over 500 bucks...my guesss on the climbing prices probably has to do with the unreliability and dying juno 106s...
Last edited by megamanx on Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:18 am

Prices are definitely rising but still fluctuate a little. I would try and get the 3P for around $500 and skip the PG200 for now. You don't need it create sounds and there are cheaper alternatives out there.

Plus if you ever get the KIWI mod, you'll need the Patch Editor from Kiwitechnics instead, which runs about $500 and is useful for editing a bunch of different synths.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:51 am

Has anybody ever tried using the new JX-03 as a controller box for a *real* JX-3P?

This might render the PG-200 worthless and add another four voices of polyphony.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:44 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:Has anybody ever tried using the new JX-03 as a controller box for a *real* JX-3P?

This might render the PG-200 worthless and add another four voices of polyphony.

Stephen
iirc the jx-03 knobs dont send midi. they definitely don't send the PG-200 control signals

countrushmore

Post by countrushmore » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:49 pm

DONT PAY THAT AMOUNT!!!!! the prices fluxuate big time on those lovely synths!!!!!!!! you can surely find a jx3p in the $400 range if you have the patience, I recently got a pg200 in top shape for $190 off ebay!! I would reccomend just getting the JX3P and the kiwi3P mod with a Behringer BCR2000. You will get the BCR2000 for $50-100 cheaper than the pg200,or maybe even more depending on your patience, which will give you room to buy the kiwi3P upgrade. ALSO the roland JX3P is a very easily programmed WITHOUT the PG200, SO BE PATIENT, get the JX3P for cheap, AND MOVE ON FROM THERE!!! also beware of leaky batteries!! No matter what you do you will be happy, but that kiwi3P mod looks f**k great!!!!

gotta plug KIWITCHNICS because they really improved the jx3p, CHECK THEM OUT!!!
http://kiwitechnics.com/jx3pupgrade.htm

hasymo

Post by hasymo » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:27 pm

I bought a JX-3P (without the PG200) last week for $400. Everything works minus a dead battery so no saving of custom patches. Programming with the slider is actually quite easy after just looking at the 'edit map' a few times. It's numbered very intuitively so you learn it quickly. I also like how it's not very long despite being 61 keys (double win for me - portability and full size 61 keys) and it fits nicely into this 49 key gator case I bought for it.

But yeah I probably wouldn't spend more than $400 on it if I had to do it again, as now I've seen they historically tend to sell for a little less (without the PG200).

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a question to other JX-3P users: when creating new patches, would a dead battery affect patch creation from scratch if banks C and D are empty? basically I can edit the preset patches in A, B and save them anywhere on C, D but once I turn it off, they're erased (so obviously a dead battery) but can you enter into bank C or D and just start off with a single oscillator Saw, etc. and create a patch from scratch or do you always to start with the preset patches? because I can't seem to initiate a raw oscillator on the empty banks (is that a dead battery issue?) and I've read the manual a couple of times but it doesn't really say anything about initiating an oscillator from scratch on banks C or D. If I'm not making sense, think of it like this: on a Prophet 5 you can exit preset mode (automatically entering into the memory not preset banks) and start with oscillator A and pick your waveforms, etc. etc. and save a patch. Can you do this on a JX-3P?

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:43 am

Ashe37 wrote:
ppg_wavecomputer wrote:Has anybody ever tried using the new JX-03 as a controller box for a *real* JX-3P?

Stephen
iirc the jx-03 knobs dont send midi. they definitely don't send the PG-200 control signals
Too bad, that would've been great. There actually is kind of a similar occurrence: The PG1000 can control the V-Synth XT D-50 mode. It's totally undocumented by Roland and probably just a happy accident of having copied the midi specs. :thumbright:

JeEA

Post by JeEA » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:26 am

You do not program a Jx-3p from scratch. You edit a preset sounds. There is no init mode like the DX-7
So You have to change the battery.

I have had one years ago, and it is a great synth. Nice warm sound. ;-)

Cheers

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:44 pm

JeEA wrote:You do not program a Jx-3p from scratch. You edit a preset sounds. There is no init mode like the DX-7
So You have to change the battery.

I have had one years ago, and it is a great synth. Nice warm sound. ;-)

Cheers
There is a "manual" button on the PG200...